Word on the street is that the digital marketing industry is growing at whopping rates. It offers high-paying digital marketing salary packages and one of the hottest career paths across the globe.
Is this true? With every business in every sector, largely depending on the digital landscape for lucrative growth, the digital marketing industry, without a shred of doubt, offers better pay than most roles at the same experience level.
And especially since the covid-19 pandemic, businesses are dependent on digital mediums for most of their activities and thus, the scope of digital marketing has grown even further. Which consequently led to an increase in the number of jobs and their salaries offered.
So, if you wish to be a part of this fast-paced, challenging, creative, and demanding industry then you’re on the right track! In this blog, we will discuss the digital marketing salaries in 2023 for different digital marketing job roles. There are some insights on the skills needed for each role as well.
As a bonus, we’ve included two sections towards the end of the blog. The first section highlights the critical skills you need to possess to excel in the industry, while the second section provides you with a comprehensive breakdown of the expected salary range as you progress up the ranks.
And if you’re someone who wants to first get their basics strong, here’s a free masterclass on digital marketing basics and secrets to get you started.
But before we move on, here’s Karan Shah, CEO & Founder of IIDE, talking about what your digital marketing salary should look like today and in the following 8-10 years.
Besides the key factors mentioned by Karan Shah in the video above, for the benefit of our readers, we’ve mentioned below the digital marketing salaries for top roles and a few other components that may affect your digital marketing salary.
Digital Marketing Salary in India for Top Roles:
Let’s look at the average digital marketing salary in India for top roles and what do these jobs entail.
1. Search Engine Optimisation Specialist
If technical jobs and analytical skills are your strong suit, search engine optimization roles might be right up your street. A Search Engine Optimisation Specialist’s primary goal is to generate targeted website traffic and make it rank on Google’s first page for relevant keywords. Keyword research, SEO copywriting, and search engine algorithms are a few key skills required by a Search Engine Optimisation Specialist.
Also, Check Out: Benefits of Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimisation Specialist Salary
- An entry-level digital marketing salary for a Search Engine Optimization Specialist with less than 1 year of experience is – An average of ₹2,00,000 per annum in India.
- A Search Engine Optimization Specialist with less than 4 years of experience earns – An average of ₹350,000 in India.
- Search Engine Optimization Specialists with 5-9 years of experience can expect – An average of ₹484,414 in India.
(Source: Ambition Box)
SEO Specialist’s Key Responsibilities
- Conduct on-site and off-site analysis and optimization
- Help create prime quality SEO-friendly content
- Conduct detailed keyword research to drive website traffic
- Plan and execute link-building strategies
2. Pay-Per-Click Analyst
Pay-per-click Analyst is one of the emerging digital marketing careers in 2023. This particular job role requires a person who has the right knowledge and ability to obtain a profit that is equal to or greater than the investment. Someone who can fulfil this will get hired by the company.
Companies, after getting organic results, focus on pushing their boundaries and attempting paid advertising. You must have a thorough knowledge of campaign creation and an understanding of the psychology behind every relevant click. This will enable you to bag a job as a PPC Analyst in a top company.
PPC Analyst Salary
- An average salary of an entry-level PPC Analyst with less than 1 year of experience is around ₹4 lakhs per annum in India.
- A PPC Analyst with more than 2 years of experience can expect to earn – An average of ₹4-5 Lakhs per year in India.
- But it also depends on the skills you have as an analyst. According to Payscale, if you are skilled in Google Ad Words then you can earn up to ₹361,068 whereas your expertise in Google Analytics can get you a salary of up to ₹314,286 respectively.
(Source: Ambition Box)
PPC Analyst’s Key Responsibilities:
- Manage Paid Ad Campaigns on Google Ads, Search & Display, Bing & other Ad Networks
- Manage advertisement campaigns on Facebook, LinkedIn, Quora, and other social media networks
- Correctly implying keyword bids
- Improving quality score
- Monitoring daily and monthly budget
- Understanding of Google Analytics
- Oversee graphic design for the campaign
3. Web Developer
A web developer is expected to be updated with the various coding languages used, and have a flair to create a functional and attractive website for the business. A highly skilled web developer analyzes user needs to ensure the content, graphics, and navigation provide a positive user experience.
In all cases, a web developer has knowledge of computer software, HTML coding, and graphic design to create a website that has the best user experience and can achieve business goals. It is one of the many in-demand digital marketing skills to have in today’s digital world.
Web developer’s salary
Web developers who can create as well as maintain attractive and user-friendly websites are certainly in high demand, and those who have the abilities to meet these demands can expect a decent salary out of this profession.
- An entry-level digital marketing salary of a Web developer with less than one year of experience is ₹ 280,000 per year in India,
- While those with more than 1-4 years of experience can expect ₹339,336 per year in India.
- Based on Payscale’s research, a mid-career Web Developer earns an average total compensation of ₹585,795 per year.
(Source: Ambition Box)
Web developer’s responsibilities include:
- Creating and test applications for websites
- Maintaining websites
- Monitor website performance and website traffic
- Integrating data from the back-end services
If you’re new to this and would like to explore and expand your learning horizon, register for this Online WordPress Course and learn how to build websites from scratch.
4. Social Media Marketing Specialist
If you’re a social media fanatic, now is the time to make money out of it. Social Media Marketing Specialists design and execute a complete social media strategy for a company. Just like an individual uses social media to portray the best version of themselves, brands today are hiring experts to get them at the top of their social media game.
As a Social Media Marketing Specialist, you have to maintain positive engagement and quality content (paid or organic) across all social media platforms.
Social Media Marketing Specialist Salary
- An entry-level digital marketing salary for a Social Media Marketing Specialist with less than 1 of year experience can expect to earn an average of ₹2,52,444 in India
- A Social Media Marketing Specialist with less than 4 years of experience can earn an average of 4.2 LPA.
- And those with 5-9 years of experience can expect an average of 11.1 Lakhs per annum based in India.
Social Media Marketing Specialist’s Key Responsibilities
- Design and implement social media marketing campaigns
- Monitor activities on all social media accounts
- Develop engaging and creative content to promote the brand’s message
- Audit social media advertising costs and returns
- Explore potential social media sites to capitalize on
You can also take a look at this video on social media marketing salary to get a better understanding of what should be your average salary if you take up this job.
If social media marketing intrigues you, sign up for this Online Social Media Marketing Course and learn how to run organic and paid social media adverts!
5. Search Engine Marketing Specialist
Search Engine Marketing Specialists are responsible for paid ads across all search engines and display networks. If numbers don’t intimidate you and have great analytical skills, search engine marketing could be right up your alley.
For this role, one also needs to be well-versed in some technical skills required to get the job done, such as basic code, website design principles, and an understanding of search engine algorithms.
PPC and SEM are digital marketing skills that usually get used interchangeably, however, PPC refers to online advertising, but SEM isn’t just limited to advertising, it is in fact, a blanket term used for any kind of activity intended to improve website search results through the search engine.
Search Engine Marketing Specialist Salary
- An entry-level digital marketing salary for a Search Engine Marketing Specialist with less than 1 year of experience is an average of ₹2,80,000 per annum in India.
- A Search Engine Marketing Specialist with less than 4 years of experience earns an average of ₹4.2 Lakhs based in India.
- Further, a Search Engine Marketing Specialist with over 5-9 years of experience earns an average of ₹12.8 LPA in India.
Search Engine Marketing Specialist’s Key Responsibilities
- A better understanding of Google Ads (Here’s an Online Google Ads Course if you want to strengthen your understanding of Google Ads)
- Create search engine campaigns to achieve maximum ROI
- Measure, analyze, and report website analytics and campaign performance
- Manage campaign budget and determine monthly costs
- Optimize landing pages for paid search marketing campaigns
6. Data Analyst
A Data Analyst interprets data and turns it into information that offers ways to improve business, thus affecting business decisions. Data Analysts collect information from various sources and interpret patterns and trends
Analytics is one of the main parts of a digital marketing team and one of the most technical digital marketing skills. Analytics is what tells a company if they’re on the right track and thus gives them an understanding of what’s working and what’s not.
- An average entry-level digital marketing salary for a Data Analyst is ₹3 lakhs in India,
- However, a data analyst with more than 2-3 years of experience can expect ₹4-5 lakhs per year in India.
Data Analyst’s Responsibilities include:
- Collecting and interpreting data
- Analyzing results
- Identifying patterns and trends in data sets
- Working alongside teams within the business or the management team to establish business needs
Take this Online Google Analytics Course to see how data analytics works and how it is beneficial for a company.
7. Paid Media Specialist
A paid media specialist is responsible for bringing in traffic to your web portals via online advertising on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Google, etc. As a paid media specialist, you need to have the best of both worlds – a mix of a creative and analytical mind.
As a Paid Media Specialist, you are expected to be quick in identifying which platforms would be best for reaching your audience and creative with their media buying skills to get the best optimization of input for greater output.
Paid Media Specialist Salary
- An entry-level Paid Media specialist can expect a salary of ₹4.8 lakhs per annum, in the beginning, further your salary will increase as per your experiences and expertise.
- A paid media specialist with more than 2-3 years of experience can expect an average salary of ₹5-6 lakhs per annum in India.
(Source: Ambition Box)
A paid media specialist is not a PPC analyst or an SEO specialist, as paid media specialists focus on a wider array of digital media strategies.
However, PPC(Pay-per-click) and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) are closely related to Paid media. These professions also provide a decent digital marketing salary. If you wish to find out more, read this blog about the highest-paying digital marketing skills.
Paid Media Specialist’s Responsibilities Include:
- Provide execution-based PPC recommendations
- Analyze and measure the effectiveness and ROI of all PPC activities
- Develop, implement, and optimise digital campaigns
- Providing ongoing actionable insights into campaign performance to relevant stakeholders
- Overseeing and managing the overall budget for paid media
- Conducting in-depth keyword and website research
8. Digital Marketing Manager
Digital marketing managers strategize and implement a brand’s complete digital presence. They leverage every channel under digital marketing to promote a business’ product/services with the key goal of increasing their sales cost-effectively. A digital marketing manager should be competent in all works of the trade and updated with the newly emerging digital marketing trends in the market.
Digital Marketing Manager’s Salary
- The average salary of a Digital Marketing Manager (entry-level) is 3-6 LPA in India.
- Whereas, a Senior Digital marketing manager’s salary ranges between ₹7,09,800- ₹10 lakhs, who has over 5-9 years of experience in India.
Digital Marketing Manager’s Key Responsibilities
- Plan and monitor the brand’s digital presence
- Ability to do data-driven analysis
- Ability to analyze and run Email Marketing campaigns (Here’s an online email marketing course to learn everything you need to know about email marketing)
- Design and manage paid and organic online campaigns on all platforms
- Measure and report the performance of all digital marketing efforts using a Web analytics tool
- Update ongoing strategies according to recent trends in the digital space
- Sustain partnerships with agencies and other vendor partners
To become a digital marketing manager, you need at least 5 years of work experience. However, you can accelerate this growth by doing an MBA in Digital Marketing.
IIDE also offers an 11-month MBA level PG Programme in Digital Marketing with 100% guaranteed placements in brands such as Nykaa, Purplle, Kinnect, Schbang, Times of India, etc.
9. Marketing Automation Specialist
A Marketing Automation Specialist is responsible for managing the marketing automation platform and fully increasing its capabilities.
They have to work closely with project managers, designers, developers, operational initiatives designers, developers, and project managers.
Marketing automation specialists are expected to develop marketing strategies and improve promotional campaigns to leverage the company’s customer base and overall revenue.
Marketing Automation Specialist Salary
- An average salary of an entry-level Marketing Automation Manager with one to two year of experience is ₹4 lakhs per year in India.
- A Marketing Automation Manager with more than 2-3 years of experience can expect an average salary of ₹ 6 lakhs per year.
(Source: Ambition Box)
Marketing Automation Specialist’s responsibilities include:
- Build and implement marketing campaigns
- Refine analytics procedures
- Analyze prospect database
- Understand and evaluate campaign metrics
- Brainstorm and develop marketing strategies
10. Content & Marketing Manager
Content & Marketing Managers oversee and create a company’s overall content across all platforms. As the role suggests, content is a key part of this job. If you have a way with words, are creative in general, along with exceptional communication skills, you can thrive in this area of digital marketing.
Content & Marketing Manager Salary
- An entry-level digital marketing salary of a Content & Marketing Manager is expected to be an average of ₹6,40,000 in India.
- A Content & Marketing Manager with less than 4 years of experience earns an average of ₹7,80,000 in India.
- Whereas Content Marketing Managers with 5-9 years of experience can expect an average of ₹8,00,000 in India.
(Source: Ambition Box)
Content Marketing Manager’s Key Responsibilities
- Design and present content in an appealing way
- Research to define given subjects and topics
- Create content marketing strategies and plans
- Content creation
- Collect content for a website, portals, and internal use.
Digital Marketing Internship Salary
If you are starting out your career in Digital Marketing, keep in mind that your salary will vary depending on experience, skillset industry, organization and location. On average, the monthly salary for a digital marketing intern ranges between 10,000 to 20,000 INR.
Some companies may also provide additional benefits like accommodation, transport, and incentives. It is important to note that internships are primarily meant to provide practical experience and learning opportunities, and salary may not be the primary focus.
|Job Profile||Monthly Stipend|
|Digital Marketing||INR 10,000 – 15,000|
|Social Media Marketing||INR 10,000 – 15,000|
|Content Writing||INR 5,000 + Incentives|
|Search Engine Optimization (SEO)||INR 15,000 – 20,000|
|Social Media Marketing||INR 10,000|
|Digital Marketing & Customer Service||INR 15,000|
Digital Marketing Freelance Salary
Digital marketing Freelance salaries in India can range from Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 1,50,000 per month, depending on the level of experience, skills, and projects a freelancer is working on. Some experienced freelancers charge hourly rates ranging from Rs. 500 to Rs. 5000 per hour.
It also depends on the type of digital marketing services provided, such as social media marketing, content marketing, search engine optimization, search engine marketing, email marketing, and more. Overall, digital marketing freelancers in India can earn a good income if they have expertise in their respective fields and provide high-quality services to their clients.
|Job Profile||Monthly Stipend|
|Senior Content Writer||INR 6,00,000 – 12,00,000|
|Business Development Executive||INR 1,50,000 – 4,00,000|
|Social Media Markering||INR 2,00,000 – 5,00,000|
|Content Writing||2,50,000 – 3,00,000|
|Social Media Marketing Manager||INR 1,20,000|
|Copywriter||INR 1,20,000 – 2,40,000|
Digital Marketing Salary Guide: 10-Year Plan
For the benefit of our readers, we’ve mapped out a 10-year plan on the basis of years of experience. Here’s what you can expect your digital marketing salary to look like in the coming years:
|Experience||Job Title||Salary Range Per Month|
|3-6 Months||Intern||Rs 5,000 – Rs 10,000|
|Year 1||Executive||Rs 15,000 – Rs 20,000|
|Year 2||Sr. Executive||Rs 30,000 – Rs 40,000|
|Year 3||Associate Lead||Rs 45,000 – Rs 50,000|
|Year 4||Team Lead||Rs 50,000 – Rs 60,000|
|Year 5||Associate Manager||Rs 65,000 – Rs 80,000|
|Year 6-10||Manager/C-Suite||Rs 1,00,000+|
Explore this video to gain a better understanding of the average salary you could earn as a digital marketer. It provides insight into how much digital marketers typically make.
We hope after reading about the job roles and digital marketing salaries they offer, you would be able to decide which job suits you the best. Now, let us understand the key factors that influence your digital marketing salary.
Scope and Salary of a Digital Marketing Freelancer
The average range of a digital marketing freelancer’s salaries varies from 1 lakh to 7 lakh per anum with an annual average salary of 3.5 lakh per anum which largely depends on the amount of experience, skills, and the number of projects that a freelancer is working on.
The hourly rate ranges from Rs.500 – Rs.5000 per hour depending on the level of experience the freelancer has as well as the types of services it provides such as Social Media Marketing, Content Marketing, SEO, SEM, and much more.
So in simpler terms, a freelancer can make good money in digital marketing services provided they specialize in their respective fields and provide quality services to their clients.
Scope of Doing a Digital Marketing Internship
On average, the monthly salary of a digital marketer ranges between Rs.10000 to Rs. 20000 per month which largely depends on the organization, industry, and the location you work in.
Irrespective of the salary range, some companies may also offer to pay you higher salaries provided you have the skills and experience that they are looking for in an intern. In addition to salary, some companies may also provide you with additional benefits such as travel, accommodation, and various other incentives.
The main and sole purpose behind doing an internship is to learn and gain practical experience, where the salary and various other incentives are of the least concern.
Cities in India Offering the Highest Salary for India
Pursuing a career in digital marketing offers good pay, but this pay varies in various cities across India. Below mentioned are some of the cities that offer the highest-paying salaries. Note that the salary mentioned below is based on the current scenario and this salary may change in the future.
The starting salary of a digital marketer ranges from approx Rs. 7.5k per month to Rs.24558 per month.
1. Gurgaon, Haryana
Gurgaon, the Kingdom of Dreams is a financial and technology hub. The starting salary of a digital marketer varies from Rs. 2500 to Rs. 25861 per month.
2. Bengaluru, Karnataka
Bengaluru, the center of the high-tech industry provides a lot of scope for digital marketing professionals due to various factors such as Technology and Startup Ecosystem.
The starting salary of a digital marketer ranges from Rs. 9166 to Rs. 25258 per month.
3. Mumbai, Maharashtra
A career in the field of digital marketing is growing rapidly, especially in Mumbai a financial hub for job seekers. With hundreds of brands, production houses, and marketing agencies located in Mumbai, landing a job in your dream company will get easier provided you have the right experience and skills. The starting salary of digital marketer ranges up to Rs. 24,583.
4. Ahmedabad, Gujarat
Ahmedabad is the largest city in the state of Gujarat and is known for its Sabarmati River which runs down through its center. The starting salary of a digital marketer ranges from Rs. 2500 to Rs. 22858 per month.
5. Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Noida is located in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh and is a shelter for migratory and native birds, with jackals and butterflies. The starting salary of a digital marketer ranges from Rs. 20833 to Rs.22798.
6. Hyderabad Telangana
Hyderabad, being a major center for the technology industry is the capital of Telangana State. The digital marketing industry offers ample opportunities for career growth with salaries starting from Rs. 10000 to Rs. 21876 per month.
Delhi the capital of India, is a metropolitan region that offers amazing opportunities for digital marketers to make a career in. The starting salary of a digital marketer ranges from Rs. 1666 to Rs. 21647 per month.
8. Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Chennai, home to Fort St. George is the capital of Tamil Nadu. You as a digital marketer can earn 12.4% more than the national average salary.
The starting salary of a digital marketer ranges from Rs. 18333 to Rs. 21399 per month.
8. Pune, Maharashtra
Pune is known for being an IT hub in India.
The starting salary of a digital marketer can range up to Rs. 19,363 per month.
Essential Skills for Digital Marketers Categorized by Role
If you’re interested in pursuing a career in digital marketing, it’s important to understand the essential skills required in the industry. Here is a list of the necessary skills for digital marketers, categorized by position.
|SEO||Keyword Research, On-page and Off-page optimization, Technical SEO, Analytics, Content marketing, and Link building.|
|PPC Analyst||Expertise in Google AdWords, Bing Ads, Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, LinkedIn Ads, PPC optimization, Conversion tracking, and Analytics|
|Social Media Marketing||Thorough understanding of Social media platforms and SMM tools like Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Buffer and Content creation|
|Search Engine Marketing||Google Ads, Bing Ads, Display Advertising, Remarketing, Analytics, A/B testing, Landing page optimizations|
|Data Analyst||Data analysis, Excel, Data visualization, SQL, Python, Statistical analysis, Machine learning|
|Paid Media Specialist||PPC Advertising, Display Advertising, Remarketing, Social media advertising, Analytics, A/B testing, Conversion optimization|
|Digital Marketing Manager||Strategy development, Budget management, Team management, Analytics, Campaign optimization, SEO/SEM, Content marketing|
|Marketing Automation Specialist||Marketing automation tools (HubSpot, Marketo, Pardot), Lead nurturing, Workflow creation, Email marketing, Analytics|
|Content & Marketing Manager||Content creation, Copywriting, SEO/SEM, Analytics, Social media management, Team management, Strategy development|
What Components Affect Your Digital Marketing Salary?
Here are a few more factors that play an important role in how much you can make as a digital marketer in today’s market.
Experience plays a major role in how much you can expect from an employer in every industry. Years of experience in this industry will only grant you a higher digital marketing salary and so on.
However, it’s no secret employers also look for quantifiable wins and if you’re able to achieve them consistently, they would be more than willing to offer a salary boost for the same.
Want to become a certified digital marketing expert? Read about the top digital marketing courses in Mumbai to upskill.
Just like we like those extra toppings on our ice cream sundaes, employers too, prefer applicants with added skills. In the digital landscape, more digital skills translate to a higher digital marketing salary.
Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be a jack of all trades but you can surely equip skills that complement your specialization. For example, a Social Media Marketer with copywriting, designing, and Paid media skills are much more appealing and valuable to an employer than just a social media marketer.
Also, it is very important to learn these skills from a credible source so that your knowledge is not incomplete. IIDE offers an Online Digital Marketing Course which is led by industry experts. This course offers all industry-relevant digital marketing skills & tools. It also includes 100% placement assistance.
In fact, to gain these skills right from your college years, a BBA in Digital Marketing is a great idea!
The bigger the agency or brand you work for, the higher your salary would be. However, if you’re a fresher, we’d recommend working for a smaller firm first. The pay might not be as appealing as it would be at a larger firm, but your learning curve in just 1 year in a small firm would be much greater.
4. Job Title
Your digital marketing salary would increase as you make your way up the corporate world. For example, a digital marketing manager makes a lot more than a digital marketing executive as a digital marketing manager has a lot more responsibilities and expertise than an executive.
Now that we have seen the digital marketing salaries and the factors that might affect them, here are some common questions:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the average salary of a digital marketer?
A digital marketer with an experience of 4-5 years usually earns an average salary of Rs.6.4 lakh per year, whereas having an experience of 10-20 years earns an annual average salary of Rs. 12.8 Lakh per year.
Q. What is the highest salary as Digital Marketing?
The highest salary that a digital marketing manager can earn per year goes up to roughly 18.2 lakhs per year.
Q. How is the age distribution amongst employees as digital marketing?
There are 40% of employees that lie between the age group of 31-36 years and 23% of employees fall within the age group of 36-41 years.
Q. What qualifications do employees have as Digital Marketing?
Qualifications may include both soft skills such as self-motivation, and time management, and hard skills such as Search Engine Marketing(SEM), User Experience (UX), website development, and many other factors such as email, video, social media marketing, and much more.
Q. How much do digital marketers earn?
The average salary digital marketers earn ranges from ₹3,00,000 to ₹12,00,000 per annum. As stated earlier, your digital marketing salary depends on your skill set, experience, and organization size. Digital marketing salary for freshers per month is approximately ₹21,585 in India.
Q. What are the highest-paying jobs in digital marketing?
Digital Media Managers, Pay-Per-Click Managers, SEO Specialists, Visual Designers, E-commerce Specialists, and more are some of the highest-paying digital marketing jobs.
Q. How much can a freelancer earn in digital marketing in India?
A typical digital marketing freelancer can rake up to ₹5,17,203 in India. A digital marketing freelancer’s salary can vary depending on the project size, client portfolio, work experience, and skill set. As a freelancer, the amount you make will directly depend on how many hours you’re willing to put in a day.
We hope this blog helped you gain a little more perspective on whether you want to take on this career path. While the digital marketing salary is a definite bonus, there are many other benefits of a digital marketing career, resulting in many graduates and working professionals eyeing this career option.
Let us know about your views in the comments section below.