Previously we looked at the elaborated SWOT analysis of Kesoram Industries, One Of The Pioneer Companies In India. Now, let us hop over and look at the elaborated SWOT Analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills.
Dhampur Sugar Mills is one of the best in terms of integrated sugar production. The company is a leader in the manufacturing of sugar in India.
Marketing is another aspect of Dhampur Sugar Mills Ltd.’s growth. As we all know after Covid-19 the world is going online. Hence, marketing strategy is also changing. The new form of marketing is a digital marketing and if you are interested in learning skills of digital marketing then check our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 1O1 by Karan Shah, the CEO, and Founder of IIDE.
Do you want to learn how Dhampur Sugar Mills became so successful in the conglomerate industry? So in this blog, we are going to learn about the SWOT analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills and more about the company.
About Dhampur Sugar Mills,
Lala Ram Narain Ji founder of the Dhampur Group founded the group in 1933 and began its operations in a small town called Dhampur located in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India, with a sugar mill having a crushing capacity of 300 tonnes of cane per day.
Dhampur Sugar Mills Ltd is a consumer goods company that offers sugarcane processing services. The company produces sugar, renewable power, alcochem, fuel ethanol, extra neutral alcohol, alcohol-based chemicals, industrial gases, and bio-fertilizer.
Its biofertilizers include liquid biofertilizers and organic fertilisers. Its technologies include fibrizors, pressure feeders, pressure evaporation systems with falling film type evaporator bodies, vertical continuous pans, 105 at bagasse fired boiler, and others.
The company also offers project advisory and consultancy in ethanol, co-generation, and automation solutions. It owns and operates sugarcane crushing complexes in India. The company operates through its facilities located in Dhampur, Asmoli, Mansurpur, Rajpura, and Meerganj. Dhampur Sugar Mills is headquartered in New Delhi, India.
|Founder||Lala Ram Narayan Ji|
|No. of Employees||1274+|
|Market Cap||Rs 3,465.43 Crore (2022)|
|Annual Revenue||Rs 895.02 Crore (2021)|
|Net Income/ Profit||Rs 76.02 Crore (2021)|
Products by Dhampur Sugar Mills
- Industrial Gases
- Bio Fertiliser
Competitors of Dhampur Sugar Mills
- Shree Renuka
- EID Parry
- Balrampur Chini
- Triveni Engg
- Dalmia Sugar
As now we have a better understanding of Dhampur Sugar Mills, let’s look into the SWOT Analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills.
SWOT Analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills
A SWOT analysis identifies a company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. A proven and true management paradigm that allows Dhampur Sugar Mills to compare its business and performance with competitors and the industry as a whole.
So let us go ahead and first have a glance at the strengths of Dhampur Sugar Mills from the SWOT analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills.
Strengths of Dhampur Sugar Mills
Your organisation’s strength is something that makes it stand out from the rest. It can be a competitive advantage that sets it apart from its competitors. Some of the strengths of Dhampur Sugar Mills are as follows –
- Brand Name & Reputation: Dhampur Sugar Mills has been running successfully since 1933 which helped them to gain goodwill and reputation over other brands; from running for so long they know how the market works which helped them in growing bigger day by day. The company has a crushing capacity of 45,500 metric tonnes of cane per day.
- Focused & Consistent: Dhampur Sugar Mills has been continuously striving to maximise the potential of sugarcane and this focused and continuous effort has resulted in Dhampur becoming one of India’s leading integrated sugarcane processing companies.
- Product Portfolio: Dhampur Sugar Mills’ portfolio consists of rich manufacturing of downstream products like power (co-generation) and ethanol. The product line includes sugar, ethanol & alcohol, power, bagasse and ahri-inputs. The vast portfolio of products helps Dhampur Sugar Mills to explore more revenue streams.
- Low Debt Ratio: Looking at their financials Dhampur Sugar Mills has a low debt ratio which helps them in investing more and more in marketing prospects and other activities.
- Social Responsibility: Dhampur Sugar Mills are involved in a bunch of social activities sustainably and equitably in the enrichment of the community by creating sustainable livelihood, education, healthcare, sanitation, and development of rural infrastructure.
- Customer Trust: From being the oldest and leading company in this industry helped Dhampur Sugar Mills to have more customer loyalty and trust and also because of their sustainable approach.
- Government Support: Dhampur Sugar Mills gets immense support and recognition through various awards from the government of India which is why the limited company is still generating revenues in increasing directions.
- The Introducer of New Tech: The brand’s pioneering efforts have resulted in the introduction of new technologies like Fibrizors, Pressure Feeders, Pressure Evaporation Systems with Falling Film Type Evaporator Bodies, Vertical Continuous Pans, 105 ata bagasse fired boiler etc. becoming the mainstay of Sugar technology in India.
- Sustainability: They use Bagasse – the residue material left after the crushing of sugarcane to produce green energy and fuel instead of fossil fuels. They even use it to make organic fuels and electricity. Sustainability just means using the waste of one product as a raw material for another product.
Weaknesses of Dhampur Sugar Mills
Weaknesses are negative aspects and attributes which have little control over. These are the areas where the business needs to improve to remain competitive.
- Extensive govt. Rules: Operating mills, refineries, the distillery is never easy as there is a lot of govt. restrictions, which one has to deal with. Changing governments & their rules affect the company’s production & sale, often in a negative manner.
- Climatic Limitations: Being majorly operating from coastal lines, Dhampur Sugar Mills is bound to face extreme climatic conditions. Extreme climatic conditions negatively affect production & transportation.
- Increasing Pollution: Any mill or refinery (especially sugar) generates a huge amount of pollution, hence currently it is contributing to environmental degradation. Environmental issues can be severe & can sometimes result in the closing of a factory, mills, etc.
- Business Model: The product that Dhampur Sugar Mills produces is not hard to find in the market. Today, every local grocery store keeps open sugar and local sugar producers with small plants are leading the inner local markets because the overall production cost is cheaper at local small plants than what is incurred at Dhampur Sugar Mills units.
- Not a Global Brand: Dhampur has been doing great in India but one thing that lacks in the Dhampur Sugar Mills is that it is not worldwide. Shree has been in India for a major period and now it should plan to expand further.
- More Competition: The entry of new competitors inside the market who are more technologically advanced and the growth in sugar-free products can lead to a significant decline in the market and other sugar substitutes like jaggery, honey, etc.
Opportunities for Dhampur Sugar Mills
Opportunities are potential areas for companies to focus on to improve results, increase sales, and ultimately profit.
- Low Competition: Due to complicated govt. rules & regulations, it is not easy to enter this industry & operate it. Hence, few people even think about entering this industry & even fewer get success & make it to the top list of companies.
- E-commerce: The products like sugar, ethanol (Alcohol) & organic manures can be sold via e-commerce stores which will cater to the company’s growth. E-commerce sales in today’s era can drive the sales & revenue of the company higher.
- Business Expansion: Dhampur Sugar Mills’ businesses are rising due to its strategies & diligence, they are off to achieve higher levels of production & are looking forward to expanding its business more in the southern region & eastern coastal region. This expansion would lead to more revenue & profit for the company. Although, at the same time they have to be aware of their competitors & their strategies to be ahead of them.
- New Environmental Policy: New opportunities will create a level playing field for everyone in the industry. This is a great opportunity for Dhampur Sugar Mills, Inc. to realise the benefits of new technologies and gain market share in new product categories.
- Population: The population has been growing and is expected to grow at a positive rate in the upcoming years. This is beneficial for Dhampur Sugar Mills as there will be an increase in the number of potential customers that it can target.
- 100% Utility/ Recycle Model: Dhampur Sugar Mills has opted to utilise/ recycle 100% effluents by adopting composting technology to manufacture bio-compost and by maintaining zero liquid discharge.
- Switching to Organic Fuels: Their usage of organic fuel instead of fossil fuel creates an opportunity on their behalf and lets them use their raw materials more sustainably.
Threats to Dhampur Sugar Mills
These are the factors that have the potential to harm an organisation. Threats are uncontrollable external factors that might overcome or damage the strength and opportunities.
- Climate Change: The end products of the company are entirely based on the major crop they use. Climate changes can negatively affect their production on a large scale. If crops are spoiled it can result in less production, sale & high prices.
- Political Uncertainty: Dhampur Sugar Mills is an agri-based business that requires ample land areas, the state rules & regulations affect the decisions directly for businesses like these. Govt. can often leave a great impact on its production & operations.
- Contest in Price: Several little new sugar companies in India are evaluating their sugar items in reasonable choices. Individuals are regularly floating toward them.
- Fierce Competition: Strong profitability has increased the number of small players in the industry over the past two years, putting downward pressure on overall revenue as well as profitability.
- Consumer Buying Behaviour: Changing one buying behaviour from online minute delivery stores where a range of options are available in front of individuals to any other mode can be a threat to the company.
- Negative Effect on Resources: This could jeopardise Dhampur Sugar Mills’s profitability. A shortage of skilled labour and farmers or some sudden uneven events at sugar farms such as fire, heavy rains, effect on crops due to uncertain environment etc threatens Dhampur Sugar Mills’s continued earnings growth in the market.
This ends our elaborative SWOT analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills. Let us conclude our learning below.
Dhampur Sugar Mills is one of the fastest-changing and growing industries in India. Dhampur Sugar Mills Ltd is well-known for its products and position in India. During the SWOT analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills Ltd, we found that the company is highly dependent and enjoys strong brand awareness and trust from its customers. It has a solid logistic base and covers all markets it serves, but suffers from more active research and development from an increasing number of manufacturers and competitors in the same space.
But being such a huge brand across multiple countries, Dhampur Sugar Mills should continue to innovate and develop more products and launch them in the market with the best possible marketing strategies.
Especially digital marketing which is vital in today’s growing and expanding world, to get better results and to remain competitive in the market. If you don’t have any idea of what digital marketing is or want to learn more about it and upgrade yourself, here is IIDE’s Online Digital Marketing Course to know more.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Dhampur Sugar Mills in the comments section below.