The meaning of video marketing is quite simple, really. It is a new type of online marketing wherein short videos (of about 1-5 minutes) are created by brands to share on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, etc. for distribution and exposure.
In other words, it is using videos to promote your brand, product or service.
Every strong marketing campaign incorporates video into the mix today. Some video types are customer testimonials, videos from live events, how-to videos, explainer videos, training videos, viral (entertainment) videos, and so on.
These videos can be used accordingly on websites and landing pages, within blogs, in webinars, on social media, etc.
19 Shocking Statistics About Video Marketing
- Videos are projected to claim more than 80% of all web traffic by 2019.
- The average CTR (click-through-rate) of video ads is 1.84% – highest of all digital ad formats!
- On YouTube, 15-seconds non-skippable ads have a 92% completion rate and skippable ads have a 9% completion rate.
- YouTube has almost 1/3rd of total internet users.
- 1/3rd of all online activity is spent watching videos.
- Video ads on social media have an 80% recall rate within 30 days.
- Viewers can retain 95% of a message when they watch it in video and 10% of a message when they read it in text.
- 82% of users on Twitter watch video content every day.
- 46% of users act after watching a video and 64% of consumers make a purchase after watching branded social videos.
- Brands who used video marketing grew revenue 49% faster than brands who didn’t.
- Social videos generate 1200% more shares than images and text combined.
- The average user spends 88% more time on a website with video.
- Having a video on a landing page makes it 53% more likely to show up on page 1 of SERP (search engine results page) and can drive 157% increase in organic traffic. Moreover, they increase conversions by 80% or more. Embedded videos in websites increase traffic by up to 55%.
- An initial email with a video receives an increase in CTR by 96%.
- Merely mentioning the word ‘video’ in an e-mail subject line gives a 19% increase in open rates and a 65% boost in CTR.
- Videos on Facebook Pages increases end user engagement by 33%.
- Nearly 50% of all video is watched on a mobile device.
- Blog posts incorporating video attract 3 times as many inbound links as those without video.
- Four times as many customers would prefer to watch a product video than read a product description.
Why You Should Start Video Marketing Immediately
1. Builds Trust
Trust is the foundation of customer loyalty and sales. Video content engages people and helps to ignite emotions. Creating videos that provide consumers with interesting or informative content is a great way to build trust and possibly establish your company as an authority in your industry. Mere words and images are not enough to convince all customers to use your product or service. However, when the same content is transferred to a video format, most people’s scepticism is erased. Effective marketing videos can build trust and drive sales. 57% consumers say that videos gave them more confidence to purchase online and for a consumer who found your video interesting or entertaining, purchase intent will increase by 97%!
2. Drives Sales and Reduces ROI
As people begin to understand your product, get trust on your brand, and recall your services, it’s natural where they will turn to when they need to buy the product – you! In fact, 74% of users who watched an explainer-video about a product, subsequently bought it. Marketers also say that due to the high sales, the total ROI of video marketing comes down, whether you hire a full-blown production agency or do it yourself (with good smartphones and excellent and affordable video editing tools)!
3. Boosts SEO
YouTube is the second largest search engine (after Google) and since Google owns YouTube, YouTube videos that are linked on websites and heavily shared on social media sites drive up search results of the website. It’s also important to optimise your YouTube videos for SEO by using relevant keywords in the titles and descriptions, and linking your website, products, and services. Videos on websites also do better on SERPs and increase the time spent by visitors on the website thus signalling to Google that the website has good content, driving the website ranking up even more.
4. Appeals to Mobile Users
Mobile browsing is ever on the rise compared to desktop, tablet, and laptop browsing. Video and mobile go hand in hand with 90% of users watching videos on their phones! Also, as the number of smartphone users increase, so will the audience for videos! Even when it comes to video ads, smartphones viewers are twice as likely as TV viewers and 1.4 times more likely than desktop viewers to feel a sense of personal connection to the brands. They are also 1.4 times as likely to pay attention to ads or branded content on YouTube as the next highest-rated platform.
5. Provides The Best Explanation
When it comes to novel products and services, people usually need a live demo. While images and text are easier to create and showcase, they don’t work on consumers. Videos can provide the best explanation for your products and brand offerings. Short, explainer videos have huge conversion rates compared to mere product descriptions but is important to keep the video content crisp and easy to understand; the actual quality of the video is then secondary. Whether you’re filming in real life, or creating animated videos, both work great on audiences!
Not only do people love watching videos, even social media platforms love showing them! They’re developing algorithms that push video content more as compared to static content. As people like to watch videos on social media, they also love sharing them as compared to boring, static posts. However, with social media videos, it’s important to create videos that are either entertaining, emotional, informative about a generic topic (in a fun way) only then would users want to share the video with their social circles.
7. Boosts Awareness and retention
Video marketing not only impacts the sales of a brand but also enhances its brand awareness, thus building brand equity. Moreover, the product or brand’s retention rate improves drastically after a video promotion.
Humans are very visual beings. Vision being our most dominant sense, most information transmitted to our brains is visual. It’s not surprising, therefore, that visual forms of communication hold our rapt attention and that video is the future of marketing online! When will you be taking the jump to promote your content with videos? Also, watch out for our upcoming blog on how to make affordable video content!