Earlier we did the elaborative SWOT analysis of Johnson & Johnson – one of the leading brands globally supplying health & health care services. Today in this blog we will be talking about the irresistible SWOT analysis of Lupin.
Lupin’s industries encircle the complete pharmaceutical value chain, varying from engraved and generic formulations, extended drug delivery systems, APIs to biotechnology. The company’s pharmaceuticals reach more than 70 nations with a footmark that surrounds developed markets such as the USA, Europe, Japan, Australia as well as emerging markets including India, the Philippines and South Africa to name a few.
Another reason for the success of Lupin which is big now is its digital marketing strategies. Currently, there is great progress and demand for digital marketing and if you are interested in learning about the latest – check out our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Do you want to learn how Lupin succeeded in the market? In this blog, we will be learning about the SWOT analysis of Lupin.
(The Founder of Lupin Limited, Source: Express Pharma)
Lupin ltd. is an Indian pharmaceutical company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India which also supplies its pharmaceutical products internationally. By far according to revenue Lupin is the 8th largest generic pharmaceutical company globally. The firm’s key emphasis areas possess cardiovascular, anti-infectives, asthma, paediatrics, diabetology, and anti-tuberculosis.
Lupin was founded by Desh Bandhu Gupta in 1968 who was a BITS-Pilani, Rajasthan lecturer of chemistry. Initially, he borrowed a sum of Rs.5000 from his wife to start his venture. Eventually receiving funding from the Central Bank of India, the company started providing a manufacturing facility for producing folic acid and iron tablets for Govt. India’s mother and child health program.
Lupin started with two employees, today has evolved and extended its business to untouched sites and areas, manufacturing drugs & medicines that flare an assurance of sound health to society across the world.
|Founder||Desh Bandhu Gupta|
|Origin||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|No. of Employees||20,000+|
|Market Cap||Rs.44,057 Crore (2021)|
|Annual Revenue||US$2.1 Billion (2020)|
|Net Income/ Profit||US$36 Million (2020)|
Products by Lupin
- Generic drugs
- Over-the-counter drugs
- Contact lenses
- Animal health
Competitors of Lupin
Following are the close competitors of Lupin Ltd.
- Sun Pharma
- Divis Labs
- Dr Reddy’s Labs
Now, let’s proceed to the SWOT analysis of Lupin Ltd.
SWOT Analysis of Lupin
SWOT stands for strength, weaknesses, opportunities and threats which is an analytical technique used for assessing your business in the four aspects. SWOT analysis is simple to analyse and determine what is best for the company at present as well as to formulate a successful strategy for the future. Accordingly, the SWOT analysis of Lupin is carried out.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of Lupin, refer to the infographics image below.
Let’s first start by analyzing the strength of Lupin from the SWOT analysis of Lupin.
Strengths of Lupin
Strengths are defined as what each business does or has best in itself. Following are the strengths of Lupin Ltd.
- Well-built Brand Portfolio: Over the years, Lupin has funded in forming a strong brand portfolio to place its footprints across the globe in 100+ countries. Today, Lupin is successfully delivering affordable and quality healthcare to address evolving patient needs which makes them the strongest generic pharma company in the world.
- Research & Innovation: With more than 7 research & development centres across the globe, Lupin is always ahead of the curve to develop a wide range of products in both branded and generic formulations.
- Digital Transformation: Lupin is working broadly to enter the digital healthcare space in India by the name of Lupin Digital Health Ltd which will focus mainly to provide a digital health consultation platform for doctors and patients. Entering in digital space can become Lupin’s one of strength.
This revolution and change in the world are all possible due to the rising scope of digital marketing. The time is running in which virtual healthcare solutions have been put in our hands and this change is proving advantageous in such current scenarios. If you want to implement such a digital revolution in your business then learning various digital marketing skills will help you to do so. Also, learning these skills is proven beneficial for candidates who are looking for career growth and job opportunities.
- Beyond Medicines: Lupin works in more than 4,500 villages to ensure sustainable development of people who are underprivileged and live in marginalised sections of society. Lupin’s aim is to help them with the necessary infrastructure and a balanced ecological base.
- Ahead in Acquisitions: Lupin has completed a sequence of acquisitions in history in which the most important one was of the engraved product portfolio from Shionogi in Japan. Further acquisitions include Medquimica, Temmler and Gavis have also enabled the firm to broaden its portfolio of drugs.
- Focus on Strategy: Lupin was established with the ambition of producing medicines available to people at reasonable prices and still the company continues to work on its vision.
Weaknesses of Lupin
Weaknesses refer to the area where the company or the brand needs some improvement. Weaknesses of Lupin Ltd. are as follows:
- Highly Dependent on US Market: Lupin ltd. is highly dependent on the US with more than 70% of its products revenue coming from the US.
- Compliance to Principles: The firm functions in such a sector in which it has to function beneath specific regulations and limitations which can be a difficult and expensive matter for Lupin. There is also an added hazard of dealing with illegal compositions.
- Employee Overheads: Lupin is a labour-intensive business because pharma is a research-intensive domain. It contains highly skilled experts and handling them is not an easy chore.
- Weak in Anticipating Demand: In comparison to its competitors, it is not particularly effective at anticipating product demand, resulting in a greater percentage of missed chances. Such as the company was working on TB research where almost every nation already eliminated the disease via mass vaccination campaigns.
- Income Instability: Lupin is facing a surge in decreasing net income according to the 2020 financial report. However, the firm’s revenue is increasing compared to last year.
Opportunities for Lupin
Opportunities refer to the factors in the environment that the company or the brand recognises and uses can lead to a greater marketing strength. Opportunities for Lupin Ltd. are as follows:
- Policy Reform: According to some experts and reviews, The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA Act) passed by the US government will open a new set of reforms that will favour the pharma companies dealing with generic drugs. If this news is true, it will benefit Lupin Ltd. to a big extent.
- New Technologies: Lupin may use the new technologies to implement a differentiated pricing approach in the new market. It will allow the company to keep its current consumers by providing excellent service while also attracting new customers through various value-oriented offers.
- Patient-driven Health Care: The trends are indicating more patient-centric treatment with the growth in demand for wearable biometric devices and telemedicine. This will increase the patient’s involvement level which will benefit the business if properly researched.
- The Utilisation of Global Brand Position: Over the years, Lupin Ltd. has gained a global market stand or goodwill worldwide. This can help the company by utilisation of the global brand positioning and expanding it towards the other potential markets.
- New Markets as a Result of Government Agreement: Lupin has been given the chance to join a new emerging market as a result of the adoption of a new technological standard and a government free trade agreement.
Threats to Lupin
Threats refer to those factors in the environment that are inevitable and which can affect the company or the brand adversely. Threats to Lupin Ltd. are
- Tough Competition: With fewer barriers to entering the pharmaceutical business, competition has grown to much extent. The company faces tough competition from companies like Ranbaxy and Cipla.
- Changes According to Government Policy: With constantly changing government rules and regulations, companies have to readjust the rules and norms as well as drug compositions. This creates financial challenges for the company.
- Limited Target Markets: Alone, the US consumes 84% of the company’s drugs. If there’s a decline or a sudden drop in the US’s drug market due to some reason, it will result in a huge loss to the company.
- High Prices: Pharmaceutical companies require various chemical compositions which can result in high priced drugs. This can limit the expansion in various Asian and African countries with low per capita income.
- Counterfeit Drugs: Lupin’s product is also vulnerable to counterfeit and low-quality product imitation, particularly in emerging and low-income regions.
This ends our detailed SWOT analysis of Lupin. Let us conclude our learning below.
Lupin ltd. is a very renowned pharmaceutical company and has gained a significant market stand globally. The SWOT analysis of Lupin tells us that it enjoys its global market stand, has a focused objective, and has a series of successful acquisitions.
But it needs to acknowledge the opportunities like growing market trends, use of goodwill to reach other potential markets and increasing efforts in its R&D department to fulfil the upcoming needs of its customers and consumers.
Fewer barriers in pharma industries have led to increased competition. Now, industries are fighting for their market stand which can be increased by increasing and improving their marketing skills. In recent years, most of the marketing is done digitally. For successful digital marketing, you need to have some adequate skills. If you are interested in enhancing and boosting your digital marketing skills, then you should checkout IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course to know more.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Lupin has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Lupin, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Lupin in the comments section below.