In the last blog, we did a comprehensive SWOT Analysis of PharmEasy – One of India’s Largest Healthcare and Medicine Delivery platforms. This time, we are dealing with the SWOT Analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories – a research-driven, top manufacturer of active pharmaceutical ingredients.
Dr. Reddy’s is one of the leading brands in the pharma and healthcare sector. Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories started in 1984 (38 years ago). It is the pharmaceuticals industry founded by Kallam Anji Reddy.
For any company to become a household name, it requires a stronghold over marketing techniques. If you want to equip yourself with the most in-demand skill right now – take a look at our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
What can you expect from this blog? We have covered the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats that affect Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd. Before we get to that, let us get to know the company, its history, products, services, and financial success.
About Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories,
The leading multinational pharmaceutical company – Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories was founded in 1984 by a mentor in the institute of Indian Drugs & Pharmaceuticals Limited named Kallam Anji Reddy. It began as a supplier to Indian drug manufacturers and slowly the company evolved to start soon by exporting to other less-regulated markets such as the U.S. Food & Drug Administration where getting approval from drug regulators for formulations and bulk drug manufacturing plants was easy.
Today, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories manufactures a wide range of pharmaceuticals and markets in India and overseas. With over 190 medications, and 60 active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) for drug manufacture, diagnostic kits, critical care, and biotechnology products, the company is leading the market. Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories is located in Hyderabad, Telangana, India. Dr. Reddy’s had seven certified FDA plants producing active pharmaceutical ingredients and patient-ready medications – five of them in India and two in the UK.
|Founder||Kallam Anji Reddy|
|Origin||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|No. of Employees||21,500+|
|Market Cap||Rs71,704.88 Crore (2022)|
|Annual Revenue||Rs5,763 Crore (2021)|
|Net Income/ Profit||Rs707 Crore (2021)|
Products & Services by Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd primarily deals in pharmaceutical products. These are the goods it manufactures:
- Generic drugs
- Over-the-counter drugs
Competitors of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
There has been a stark increase in competition recently in the bio-pharmacy industry. These are current competitors for Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories:
- Sun pharma
- Ranbaxy labs
As we are clear about the foundations of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, let’s move on to the SWOT analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories.
SWOT Analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
SWOT stands for strength, weaknesses, opportunities and threats which is an analytical technique used for assessing your business in the four aspects. SWOT analysis is simple to analyse and determine what is best for the company at present as well as to formulate a successful strategy for the future. Accordingly, the SWOT analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories is carried out.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, refer to the infographics image below.
Let’s first start by analysing the strength of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories from the SWOT analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories.
Strengths of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
Strengths are defined as what each business does or has best in itself. Following are the strengths of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd
- Faster Growth: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories has seen faster growth within 38 years of time. It started as a small active pharmaceutical ingredients producer and today it is a developed pharmaceutical company with business and operations in the USA, India, Russia and CIS, Germany, the UK, Venezuela, South Africa and Romania.
- Generic Drug Products: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd comes up with comprehensive generic drug products including several oral and anti-cholesterol antibiotics medicines. This helps companies serve different customer segments in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
- Strong Brand Value: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd products boast strong brand awareness in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. Being an API and bulk drug supplier to regulated markets like the US and the UK, the company acquired American Remedies Ltd. in 1999 making Reddy’s the third-largest pharmaceutical company in India, after Ranbaxy and Glaxo.
- Innovation Success: While most healthcare players strive for innovation, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd has a proven track record of being a consumer-led and reliable CMO to global pharma innovators. The company had invested heavily in establishing R&D labs in India to bring new drugs to the market at a faster pace.
- Market Leader: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd emerged as India’s leading mid-sized pharmaceutical company and has established itself as a strong market leader in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. This helped the company quickly expand the success of its products including Omez (Omeprazole), Nise (Nimesulide), Ketorol (Ketorolac Tromethamine), and Stamlo (Amlodipine Besylate), Razo (Rabeprazole), among many others.
- Talent Acquisition: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd’s human resources management and employee skill development programs are an integral part of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd success in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
- CSR Activities: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories did lots of CSR activities in the course of the journey. Aster DM volunteer group has created a very positive impact on the lives of over a million people including a variety of projects in the areas of community development & support, medical & wellness, international aid, disaster recovery, women empowerment, and disabled community empowerment. These initiatives have given Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories a positive image in the market and subsidies from the government.
- Focus on Strategy: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories was established with the ambition to provide first-class healthcare services and make pharmaceutical products available to people at reasonable prices and still the company continues to work on its vision.
- Affordable Medication: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories accelerate access to affordable and innovative medicines to help patients lead healthier lives. Through their Generic Formulations business, the company addresses people throughout the world who do not have access to good health.
Weaknesses of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories should focus on improving its flaws in order to retain its brand name in the market. Following listed are the weaknesses of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
- Compliance to Principles: The firm functions in such a sector in which it has to function beneath specific regulations and limitations which can be a difficult and expensive matter for Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories. There is also an added hazard of dealing with illegal compositions.
- Increasing Competition: Competitiveness in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical sectors is putting pressure on profitability. The first guide to managing this situation is to evaluate the current value proposition of various pharmaceutical products.
- Drug Discovery Problems: Discovery of drugs is a highly unpredictable business and sometimes big pharmaceutical companies also face problems in drug discovery. The reason could be a spin-off of the drug discovery and research wing into a separate company.
- Less Awareness: The general public uses medicines of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories as prescribed by the doctor, but they are not aware of which brand’s medicine they are consuming. For Instance, Cipla spends heavily on advertising, so the brand’s name has reached the ears of all Indian households.
Opportunities for Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories should have an eye on exploiting the external opportunities in order to gain an advantage from them. A few of these are listed below:
- Expanding Customer Base: Customers need to move from disordered operators in the healthcare industry to licensed suppliers. This gives Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd the opportunity to enter the beginner level market with plain products.
- Opportunities in the Online Space: As customers use online services more frequently, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd will be able to offer new services to customers in the Biotechnology and Drugs industries.
This revolution and change in the world are all possible due to the rising scope of digital marketing. The time is running in which virtual healthcare solutions have been put in our hands and this change is proving advantageous in such current scenarios. If you want to implement such a digital revolution in your business then learning various digital marketing skills will help you to do so. Also, learning these skills is proven beneficial for candidates who are looking for career growth and job opportunities.
- Changing Consumer Preferences: With increasing disposable income, and rapid acceptance of technical products, today’s consumers are open to new pharmaceutical products on the market. This gives Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories a chance to broaden its consumer base.
- Enter New Market: The government has created barriers for new entrants in the field of BioTechnology and Drugs Industry, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories should seize the opportunity and try to increase its pharmacy business footprint.
- Policy Reform: According to some experts and reviews, The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA Act) passed by the US government will open a new set of reforms that will favour the pharma companies dealing with generic drugs. If this news is true, it will benefit Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories to a big extent.
- New Technologies: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories may use the new technologies to implement a differentiated pricing approach in the new market. It will allow the company to keep its current consumers by providing excellent service while also attracting new customers through various value-oriented offers.
- Favourable Govt. Resolutions: Tighter government regulations make it difficult for disordered stakeholders to work in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. This gives Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd the opportunity to expand its customer base.
- Patient-centric Initiatives: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories is a patient-centric platform to deliver solutions that address the unmet needs of patients. Such as recently the company launched a generic Methylprednisolone Sodium Succinate injection to address conditions including arthritis, blood disorders and severe allergic reactions, in the US market.
Threats to Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories should try to remove the external threats as they have a vital role in creating hindrance to the growth of a firm. The threats of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories are
- Increased Institutional Distrust: WTO rules and laws are difficult to enforce across markets. The legal process has become a money-consuming and lengthy activity. This could reduce Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd investment in emerging markets and slow growth.
- Tough Competition: With fewer barriers to entering the pharmaceutical business, competition has grown to much extent. The company faces tough competition from companies like Ranbaxy and Cipla.
- Changes According to Government Policy: With constantly changing government rules and regulations, companies have to readjust the rules and norms as well as drug compositions. This creates financial challenges for the company.
- High Prices: Pharmaceutical companies require various chemical compositions which can result in high priced drugs. This can limit the expansion in various Asian and African countries with low per capita income.
- Counterfeit Drugs: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories products are also vulnerable to counterfeit and low-quality product imitation, particularly in emerging and low-income regions.
This ends our detailed SWOT analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories. Let us conclude our learning below.
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories ltd. is a very renowned pharmaceutical company and has gained a significant market stand globally. The SWOT analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories tells us that it enjoys its global market stand, has a focused objective, and has a series of successful acquisitions.
But it needs to acknowledge the opportunities like growing market trends, use of goodwill to reach other potential markets and increasing efforts in its R&D department to fulfil the upcoming needs of its customers and consumers.
Fewer barriers in pharma industries have led to increased competition. Now, industries are fighting for their market stand which can be increased by increasing and improving their marketing skills. In recent years, most of the marketing is done digitally. For successful digital marketing, you need to have some adequate skills. If you are interested in enhancing and boosting your digital marketing skills, then you should checkout IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course to know more.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. You can also check out an in-depth study on the marketing strategy of Johnson & Johnson.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories in the comments section below.