Some brands have grown exponentially since their inception. Cartier is one of them. How did they manage it? What did they do to increase their customer base? What did they do to keep their consumers coming back? We think Cartier’s Marketing Strategy played a significant part in all this, especially its digital marketing strategy.
This article analyses a few digital marketing strategies used by the company to give you an insight into what they have been doing.
If you’re interested to know about Digital Marketing, feel free to check out IIDE’s free masterclass made by Karan Shah, the CEO and founder of IIDE.
Originating in 1847 through the vision of Louis-François Cartier, the distinguished French luxury label, Cartier, has earned global acclaim for its exceptional jewellery, watches, and accessories, characterised by their intricate craftsmanship and elegance. Over the years, Cartier has cultivated a storied legacy, producing timeless and iconic creations synonymous with opulence and prestige.
Now that we are discussing Cartier, let’s take a look at their marketing strategy too.
What’s new with Cartier?
Here’s what was buzzing around Cartier recently:
- V, also known as Kim Tae-hyung of a very popular Korean-Pop band BTS, just became Cartier’s newest global brand ambassador.
- Luxury watches by Cartier and Omega, astonishingly outperformed the high-end luxury watches by Rolex in the watch market. The prices have grown by about 17% within the market, which also caught the eyes of collectors, who are seeking interest in undervalued pieces.
- The Cartier Women’s Initiative (CWI) program has recognized eleven exceptional women entrepreneurs from diverse corners of the globe.
- Cartier held an exclusive exhibition in Hong Kong, that celebrated the beauty and strength of women. It was held at the Hong Kong Palace Museum, named ‘Cartier and Women’, and celebrated the themes of femininity.
- Cartier unveiled revamped Tank Française, Tank Louis Cartier, and Tank Normale watches at Watches and Wonders 2023
Let’s now understand the target audience of Cartier better with the help of a buyer persona.
Buyer Persona of Cartier
A buyer persona generally refers to the detailed information of an ideal customer of a company. When it comes to Cartier, people from India use it the most. This buyer persona will help you understand the attributes of regular a Cartier user.
New York City
- To achieve success in her career
- To maintain a high level of social status
- To be surrounded by beauty and luxury
- To leave a legacy for her family
Interest & Hobbies
- Art collecting
- Fine dining
- The pressure to maintain a certain image
- The challenges of balancing work and personal life
- The fear of making mistakes
- The desire for more time
Social Media Presence
From the table above we can conclude that an ideal Cartier User uses the app for quick food delivery solutions or he/she is a foodie. In both cases, Cartier needs to evaluate the attributes further to understand future challenges.
Want to know about the current challenges of Cartier? Read a detailed SWOT Analysis of the brand before moving on with marketing strategies.
Marketing strategy of Cartier –
Let’s dive into the marketing strategy of Cartier. How the brand conducted unreal results for their own.
Segmenting, Targeting and Positioning
Carrier segments their company into either the most populated countries like China, and India, or the wealthier countries like America, and France.
Cartier dominates the Chinese market and is the number one jeweller brand. There are about 40 Cartier stores located in China in 22 different cities. India has only one store located in New Delhi.
Cartier’s target audience is middle-aged(30-45) women and men who reach their peak of success. Cartier has been ruling over the world for long periods in the jewellery industry.
They want themselves to be composed of highly wealthy individuals. Because they produced exceptional products for ambitious high net worthy individuals.
Cartier positioned itself as a high-profile jeweller or watch brand. The world’s richest people also think twice before buying.
Because the items are so luxurious and expensive too. Although they won’t stop themselves.
1. Search Engine Optimisation
Cartier has put a lot of effort into SEO.
As per Ubersuggest data, it ranks in India for 652,387 keywords as of September 2023. Its organic traffic is 18,078,144 sessions per month. The stats are much higher as compared to their SEO performance in April 2023.
Cartier’s website has a high Domain Authority (DA) of 83. This is a significant factor in their high visibility on search engines. A high DA indicates that a website is considered to be authoritative and trustworthy by search engines. As a result, Cartier’s website is likely to rank higher in search results pages (SERPs), making it more likely that people will find it when they are searching for information about the brand.
Here are some of their Search Engine Optimisation techniques :
2. Social Media Marketing
Cartier is active on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. As of August 2023, it has 13.7 million followers on Instagram, 1.6 million followers on linkedin, 5.1 million followers on Facebook and 591K followers on Twitter.
Let’s analyze how their posts are:
Instagram: A captivating blend of timeless elegance and contemporary flair, showcasing Cartier’s exquisite creations in stunning visuals that inspire and enchant.
LinkedIn: A forum for insightful dialogue and thought leadership, where Cartier engages with a global audience on topics ranging from innovation and sustainability to style and culture.
Twitter: A lively hub for real-time engagement and conversation, where Cartier shares its latest news, events, and inspirations, fostering a sense of community among its followers.
Cartier Women Initiative: An annual international entrepreneurship program that aims to drive change by empowering women impact entrepreneurs. Maintains its dedicated social media channels, boasting an impressive 24.2k followers.
Given Cartier’s prestigious brand status, a significant portion of its digital media marketing relies on endorsements through renowned luxury and fashion publications such as Forbes and Vanity Fair.
Cartier’s official website is attached with eCommerce category pages. They built it in very useful manners. The traffic of cartier.com most of their time spent on eCommerce pages to see the amazing pieces. Also, they had a very safe and fast delivery process around the world.
4. Paid Advertising
5. Email marketing
Cartier employs focused email campaigns to update clientele on fresh product debuts, exclusive promotions, and upcoming occasions. These emails frequently feature captivating imagery and privileged insights, alluring subscribers to embark on an exploration of their newest creations. Furthermore, Cartier customises its digital marketing endeavours through an examination of customer data and behaviours. This practice empowers them to deliver tailored guidance, product recommendations, and bespoke offers that harmonise with individual inclinations.
Marketing and Advertising Campaign Examples
Here are some of the unique and successful advertising campaigns of Cartier:
- Cartier X Deepika Padukone
On May 26, 2023, Cartier announced their campaign with one of their global ambassadors – Deepika Padukone. It was Deepika’s first campaign with Cartier, where they revealed 90 never seen before pieces from their exquisite ‘Le Voyage Recommencé’ collection. This special collection was inspired by intricate Islamic architecture, the stylish Art Deco period, and the iconic panther.
This enhanced their brand visibility, and Cartier created their own image in India as well, where the brand was not really familiar earlier.
2. Cartier Met Gala
Every year they have a theme that is to be followed by everyone.”Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty”, was the theme of 2023’s Met Gala Theme. Celebrities like Emma Chamberlain, Billie Eilish, Lily Collins, Jackson Wang, Yara Shahidi, Greg Williams, Elle Fanning, and many more, wore Cartier pieces to this fashion event. This gave Cartier extensive media coverage, red-carpet interviews, and Social Media buzz. Cartier also arranged an after-party at the Carlyle Hotel, where celebrities were seen having loads of fun.
3. Cartier’s ad campaign – The Culture Of Design.
Cartier launched seven of their most significant pieces of all time once again through this campaign. This was a different marketing strategy that was laid out by the brand. Instead of focusing on new products, they brought back their historically best hits. This campaign included Tank, Panthere, the Santos, the Love and Juste Un Clou nail bracelets, and their Trinity Triple Ring. Cartier has always been famous for its iconic symbols. These jewelry pieces have created a sense of continuity and recognition among customers for more than a hundred years now. This campaign brand focuses on its history to appeal to customers with its significant craftsmanship and creative designs.
4. Pasha de Cartier
Cartier launched this stunning watch digitally through creative and visually engaging campaigns. The campaign also allowed the audience to peek through the watch’s history and features.
In an effort to promote diversity, Cartier has chosen five distinct individuals to star in its Pasha Watch Campaign. The campaign features Willow Smith, Maisie Williams, Jackson Wang, and others.
5. Clash de Cartier
The campaign’s main motive was digital influence. The brand collaborated with celebrities and influencers that striked bold visuals of and messaging to convey the concept of clashing elements.
The “Clash de Cartier” campaign delves into the contrast between different styles of attire. Renowned British American actress Lily Collins has been chosen as the fresh representative of “Clash de Cartier.”
6. Tank Cartier Campaign
- Their first ever marketing campaign like this, they produce a watch like a ‘Tank’ that was used in the world war. And the design of the watch was a campaign itself.
- Soon after its revelation, the plan got the attention of all the Cartier lovers from all over the world.
- Cartier has been campaigning their products in red carpet events like fashion shows, jewellery fairs and more. There is one big reason for that: all the people who attended the show are multi-millionaires.
- And also a luxurious brand needs a luxury revelation. Marketing campaigns like these include their successors.
- Cartier has started a campaign called “Women Leadership Program ” and this move gets the attention of global women excessively.
- Also, they have participated in the global’s most overrated Jewellery fair and kinds of red carpet shows. These also help to expand their reach.
Failed Campaigns of Cartier
Cartier more than often grabs attention with its unique marketing. But, there have been a few times when the campaign failed to connect with the audiences and gained backlash.
Here are a few examples of failed campaigns of Cartier:
- Cartier faced backlash and failed outcomes of their new pieces and jewellery. The most significantly known is the ‘Must De Cartier’ line, which was launched back in 1970’s. With the growing demand of competitive products, the brand wanted more awareness ,inclusivity, and a wider range of audience.The collection had fragrances, accessories, and watches and they brought up this line with low prices as compared to their price range. Even though they attracted a new variety of customers, they faced criticism from their older customers, complaining that affordability could affect the brand’s luxurious image.
There were also speculations of brand dilution. However, Cartier took the matter in their hands and shifted their focus back to high-end luxurious goods. They also launched new and iconic designs to promote the continuity of their prestige products.
- Another failed strategy that Cartier faced was when they entered the market of writing instruments. Cartier introduced pens, pencils and accessories in this new line. Their most famous products were Cartier Roadster, Cartier Santos de Cartier, Cartier Declaration, etc. Though Cartier managed to appeal to a wider range of audience, they also had to suffer the consequences of being the new one in the market.They faced serious competition throughout their starting years and had no target audience. It took them multiple tries to finally set a good brand image in front of the newly targeted customer. To address these issues, Cartier took matters in their hands and bought strategies such as unique and exclusive designs to appeal to the customers.
They also launched limited edition pens along with the collaboration with celebrities to create a sense of desirability. Cartier faced the same issues when they also launched their line of luxury leather goods that included accessories and handbags.
- In 2018, a digital campaign called ‘The Proposal’ was launched, to promote Engagement rings. The brand then received extreme criticism on their social media accounts from a number of people. They were accused of creating stereotypes for perpetuating gender roles and marriage. The campaign had a diverse range of couples, which raised concerns of cultural diversity and representation. The campaign was also criticised for choosing consumerism and materialism over the emotional beauty of relationships. Cartier did not really make any attempts to avoid the backlash.
Top Competitors of Cartier
Here’s the list of top competitors of Cartier:
As we wrap up our analysis of Cartier’s impressive digital marketing strategy, it’s clear that staying up-to-date with the latest trends and techniques is key to success in the digital marketing world.
Whether you’re a marketing professional or just starting out, be sure to check out our free digital marketing masterclass to gain a solid foundation in the essentials of digital marketing.
Who knows, you might just develop the next big marketing strategy like Cartier’s! Don’t forget to share your thoughts and comments on Cartier’s strategy in the comments below.