Are you a certified Google Ads specialist but can’t crack the interview because of jitters? Don’t worry, we got you covered! Here’s a list of the top 30 Google Ads interview questions that will help you prepare completely for the interview beforehand and confidently enter the interview room.
Scope of Google Ads career in 2023
In 2022, according to NDTV, Google India witnessed a more than 74% increase in its advertising sales from Google Ads. This means that more businesses are looking towards Google as their advertising platform, recording sales from profitable ad campaigns and hence investing more in Google Ads.
This has given rise to the demand for Google Ads Specialists/Paid Marketers or PPC Specialists in 2023. According to Ambition Box, the average salary of the entry-level PPC Specialist is INR 3,00,000 per annum.
Now that we know about the rising demand for career opportunities in Google Ads, let’s know who should be knowing the top 30 Google Ads interview questions.
This blog on Google ads interview questions is for all those who are:
- Appearing for an upcoming digital marketing job interview
- Looking for a digital marketing job in the media department
- Interviewers themselves are looking for the right questions to ask related to Google ads specifically
With the pandemic hitting in 2020, and us shifting towards a more digital environment in 2023, digital marketing career opportunities have increased year-on-year.
With the competition involved, you need to be well-informed before an interview about the industry in order to have an edge over the others. Make sure you are up-to-date with industry trends and skills.
General Google Ads Interview Questions
Here’s our list of basic Google Ads Interview Questions you must know –
Q1. What are Google Ads?
Ans. Google as a search engine offers paid advertisement services that appear on the SERPs (search result pages) and also on other websites through their AdSense program and the Display Network.
Q2. Which model does Google Ads work on?
Ans. Google Ads leverage the PPC or pay-per-click online system.
Q3. What are the benefits of Google Ads?
Ans. Here are a few benefits of using Google AdWords –
- Amazing reach
- Campaign success measurability
- Good targeting
- Control over budgets
- Significant increase in conversions
Q4. What is PPC (Pay-Per-Click)?
Ans. PPC is an abbreviation for pay-per-click ads which involves charging the user for every click on your ad on a search engine.
Q5. What are Ad extensions on Google?
Ans. An ad extension is a feature that displays additional information along with your ads such as your contact number, address, store rating, reviews, or more site links.
Q6. What is a brand modifier in Google Adwords?
Ans. A brand modifier is a Google Ad tool that helps advertisers identify keywords that can have more reach than the phrase match set of keywords.
Google Ads Interview Questions & Answers For Freshers
Going for a job interview with little or no experience? We have a list of google ads interview questions and answers for freshers.
Q7. How many ad groups or campaigns can you create on Google Ads?
Ans. A single Google Ads account can have about 10,000 campaigns.
Q8. What is a Google ad rank?
Ans. Simply put, a Google Ad Rank is a value used to determine the position of your ad. It gauges whether your ad is eligible to rank or not.
Q9. Explain what Google Quality Score is.
Ans. When users search for your keywords, Google provides a Quality Score for the user experience that your advertisements and landing pages provide the user with. The score is represented on a scale of 1-10 and an ideal Google Quality Score is between 8-10.
Q10. What are the character limits for the ads in Google AdWords?
Ans. You can use up to 90 characters for each description in Google Adwords.
Q11. What is CTR?
Ans. Click-through rate or CTR in Google Ads is the rate at which users tend to click on your ad. It is calculated by the number of impressions an ad received and how many times the ad was clicked.
(This is asked as one of the Google Ads Interview Questions as well as Performance Marketing Questions.)
Q12. What is the character limit for a destination URL?
Ans. The character limit for a destination URL is 35 characters.
Q13. In Google Adwords, what does the automated bidding option do?
Ans. The automated bidding option in Google Adwords helps you to reach your goals with minimum effort. Instead of bidding manually, there is an automated feature that’ll help you bid and you can focus on other things.
Q14. What are clicks?
Ans. Every time a user clicks on your ad and goes to the landing page, it is called a click.
Q15. What are impressions?
Ans. An impression is every time your Google ad is displayed on a search engine or on any other website. The term ‘Impr’ is short for impressions in your Google Ads account.
Q16. What should the ideal length of the destination URL be?
Ans. 1024 characters are the recommended character limit of the destination URL.
Google Ads Interview Questions Answers For Experienced Professionals
Listed below are a few common Google Ad interview questions and answers for experienced professionals.
Q17. How can Google Shopping drive more sales and traffic?
Ans. This is a common google shopping ads interview question. You can do the following to increase sales and traffic –
- Optimize your product titles
- Include product reviews and ratings
- Use quality images
- Include google shopping ad extensions
- Use a negative keywords strategy
Bonus Read – How to do a keyword research
Q18. What do you mean by frequency cap?
Ans. A frequency cap is a feature in Google Ads that prevent the same person from seeing the same ad time and again.
Q19. What kind of ads can you run using Google Ads?
Ans. There are about 5 types of ads that you can run using Google Ads-
- Google search ads
- Display ads
- Video ads
- Shopping ads
- App campaign ads
Q20. What is a conversion optimizer in Google Ads?
Ans. Google Ads conversion optimizer is a tool that can help with the most number of conversions possible at a particular target cost per acquisition. Instead of bidding manually and generating conversions, this is an automated optimizer that adjusts bids.
Q21. How can you improve conversion rates?
Ans. Here are a few ways you can improve your conversion rates –
- Have a strong CTA
- Include pop-ups
- Have seamless navigation for your website
- Add chatbots
- Add testimonials and verified reviews
Q22. How can you measure the ROA (returns on ad spending)?
Ans. It is very simple to calculate the ROA of a campaign. You divide the revenue generated by the cost of the ads.
Q23. On what grounds can Google reject your ad?
Ans. Your Google ad can be rejected if –
- You’re not 18 years of age.
- There is inappropriate content on your website
Q24. Explain the impression share metric.
Ans. Impression share is basically the percentage of impressions your ads received over the total number of impressions your ad could’ve gotten ideally.
Q25. What is the significance of the Search Term Report?
Ans. A search term report displays all the queries that are directing users to your website. With the help of search term reports, one can find new keywords that can be more effective.
Q26. What is a phrase match?
Ans. It is a keyword matching option in Google AdWords which appears when your audience types the exact same phrase as your keywords. There might be varying words that your audience might use before and after the phrase.
Q27. What is the difference between CPM, CPV, and CPC bidding?
Ans. This is a very commonly asked question for any Google ads interview.
- CPM – Cost per thousand impressions, irrespective of the number of clicks.
- CPC – Cost per click. The amount you pay per click.
- CPV – cost per view. When advertisers pay for every unique view by a user.
Q28. What are the types of keywords?
Ans. Broadly, there are 5 key categories of keywords –
- Broad match – These keywords have the widest audience
- Broad modifier – These keywords have a slighter narrow reach than broad match keywords
- Phrase match – Your Google ad will appear to those who punch in this exact phrase in a search engine. There can be a combination of other keywords before and after this phrase.
- Negative keyword – When advertisers use a completely different set of keywords
- Exact match – These are the most specific range of keywords
Q29. How can you track conversions?
Ans. On Google Ads, you can track conversions by using a tracking code provided by AdWords and then modify the code unique to each particular platform.
Q30. What is a Google Ad API?
Ans. A Google Ad API enables developers to build an application that links with the Google Ad servers. You can automatically generate keywords, reports, landing pages, and more.
This Google Ads online short course is just the course you need to gain an in-depth understanding of Google Ads.
Skills Required by Google Ads Specialists
PPC specialists or Google Adwords specialists require the following skills –
- Familiarity with Statistics – You need to have sufficient knowledge of data. Every ad will have a set of clicks, conversions, impressions, CTRs, and more. A digital marketer specializing in PPC or Google Ads needs to be able to analyze these numbers and accordingly make campaign decisions.
- Copywriting Skills – You need to have basic skills in copywriting in order to tweak or change a particular ad copy. A good CTA and copy can get you good leads.
- Adwords Know-how – You need to be familiar and adept with Google Adwords. You should know how to pick the best keywords, how to place bids, and how to manage ad campaigns as well.
- Managing landing pages – Ensuring that your landing pages are up-to-mark is very important to land you a conversion. It needs to be good in copy, and design, and also user-friendly.
- Design sensibility – A good ad needs to be clean and visual. Hence, one needs a good design sense.
- E-commerce Knowledge – Knowing which E-commerce platforms are a good fit, how to track your ads, etc. are integral for this role.
- Consumer Journey Knowledge – You need to understand the needs of your consumers in order to create ads for them. Create them to build awareness, and generate leads or other conversions like making a purchase.
Apart from these skills, you need to have a thorough understanding of PPC interview questions and answers in 2023.
Benefits of Google Ads in 2023
Listed below are some reasons stating the importance and benefits of Google Ads that you can mention during your interview –
Targeting is a way to reach the audience interested in your products and services. You can narrow down their likes and preferences and accordingly display relevant ads. You can use a combination of keywords, devices, demographics, and timings to have a good impact.
With Google Ads, you have complete control over your money and how to allocate your budget. You can also choose to pay only when someone clicks on your ad. This is called PPC advertising and should be kept in mind for PPC interview questions and answers for freshers.
Bonus Read – Check out these Must-use PPC advertising strategies.
With Google Ads, you can freely measure your campaign’s success. You can check how many people clicked on the ad, how many customers made a purchase, how much to spend per day, etc.
- Monitoring Accounts
The My Client Center manager account is a good tool that can save you precious time. It has a single dashboard through which you can easily manage and view all of your Google Ads accounts.
Hope you enjoyed this blog on Google Ads Interview Questions. PPC ads or Google ads are a great way of advertising your products or services. It requires a professional skill set as well as knowledge for answering any Google ads interview questions in 2023.
Have a look at this 11-month MBA in Digital Marketing – PG Program in case you’re looking for an MBA-level course that’ll help you climb the ladder faster.
We really hope you enjoyed reading this article and it answered all probable PPC interview questions and answers for 2023.