In our previous article, we had done an in-depth SWOT Analysis of the market leader of Malaysian Cellular Networks, Digi. In this article, we will see the SWOT analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises.
Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited, along with its subsidiaries, operates as a media and entertainment company. The company develops television programming and film content, as well as distributes its content through satellite, cable, and the Internet.
Zee Entertainment Enterprise is one of India’s leading media and entertainment enterprises companies. It is amongst the largest producers of entertainment content in the world. The company has interests in print, television, film, etc.
The company is a market leader all around the world due to its efficient services and strong visibility. In today’s world digital marketing is very important to create a brand image, if you want to learn more about digital marketing and its different attributes do check out Free Digital Marketing Masterclass by Karan Shah the founder and CEO of IIDE.
In this blog, we will learn about the SWOT analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises, but before that let’s know about the company.
About Zee Entertainment Enterprises
Zee Entertainment Enterprise also known as ZEE is an Indian mass media and entertainment company. It is owned by the Essel Group and was founded by Subhash Chandra in 1991. The company works in the following segments, Television, Print, Internet, Film, Mobile content etc
Zee entertainment is ranked as number one and has also been awarded multiple awards across categories over the years. From the last few years, Zee Entertainment has grown to the top of its industry. Zee is one of India’s leading television, media, and entertainment companies that have the largest producers and aggregators of Hindi programming within the world.
Its headquarter is in Mumbai. The corporation has interests in television, print, internet, film, mobile content, and allied businesses. It operates 45 channels worldwide.
|No. of Employees||12,700+|
|Market Cap||US$ 22.63 Billion (2021)|
|Annual Revenue||US$ 14.514 Billion (2018)|
|Net Income/ Profit||US$ 1.960 Billion (2018)|
Products of Zee Entertainment Enterprises
- Web portals
Competitors of Zee Entertainment Enterprises
Zee Entertainment Enterprises competes on a global level with many other mass telefilms production companies. The top 5 competitors of Zee Entertainment Enterprises are
- Reliance Mediaworks
- Mercury Filmworks
- The CW Network
Now that we have taken a glance at what Zee Entertainment Enterprises is, let’s take a look at the SWOT Analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises.
SWOT Analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises
SWOT Analysis is a useful technique for developing business strategies for both new and current businesses. This simplified methodology is used to assess a company’s competitive standing. SWOT analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises can help the organization develop effective and efficient business strategies.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises, refer to the infographics below:
Below is an explicit guide to the SWOT analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises.
Strengths of Zee Entertainment Enterprises
The brand’s competence gives an edge over capturing the maximum market in the industry and earning more profits. Hence here we go with the strengths as follows:
- Innovative Broadcasting: Zee Entertainment Enterprises encompasses providing broadcasting of a variety of perspectives, viewpoints, and backgrounds so that it can deliver a pleasant viewing experience to its national viewing audience.
- Popular TV Programs: Zee Entertainment Enterprises is famous for its most popular programs and TV shows including its all-time famous sitcoms which have a true audience on a global scale.
- International Market: Zee Entertainment Enterprises is a global film and television production company. One of the strengths of Zee Entertainment Enterprises is that it has an international market. Because of its international presence, it makes it easier for the other Zee Entertainment Enterprises to grow their business.
- Strong Cash Flow: Zee Entertainment Enterprises is a multinational company. It has a huge international presence so they have a huge cash flow. Their revenue is in the billions. They have a good amount of profit. Due to the strong cash flow, they have sufficient resources so that they can expand their business.
- Strong Distribution of Network: As a successful international company, they have many companies that are a huge market for the divisions. They have a strong network of distribution that helps the company Zee Entertainment Enterprises.
- Good Returns on Capital Expenditure: Zee Entertainment Enterprises has a successful track record and builds reliable trust among international consumers. They also have a successful record of merging and acquisition of big firms.
Weaknesses of Zee Entertainment Enterprises
The area where the brand or company needs an improvement or there is a chance to improve and make it big and help the company to grow faster by finding out the incapabilities and weak points are referred to as weaknesses. Following are some of the weaknesses of Zee Entertainment Enterprises:
- Changing Trends: As an international film and television production company, they have to change according to the local market. they have to tackle the care of local consumer behaviour.
- Organisation Structure: Zee Entertainment Enterprises is compatible with the current business model and so it has some limits with the expansion of the segments.
- Sales Talks: Essel Group is in talks to sell their shares from Zee Entertainment Enterprises to save themself from debt. As the company is going to deal with Sony and open doors with Comcast.
- Mergers with Sony: In 2021, Zee Entertainment Enterprises announced that it will merge with Sony Pictures Networks India. Sony will hold a majority stake of 51%. This merger will slowly make Sony stronger to soon own the whole Zee Entertainment Enterprises.
- Constantly Dipping Viewership: Zee Entertainment Enterprises is unable to cope with the changes and likings of viewers despite being the oldest private channel.
Opportunities for Zee Entertainment Enterprises
Opportunities means the aspects of the ground where brands can have the avenue that surrounds the environment to grow and make more profit or returns. Following are some of the opportunities for Zee Entertainment Enterprises:
- New Market: There is a great opportunity for Zee Entertainment Enterprises as there is the availability of new markets opening up. The world is going under globalisation and many governments are adopting new technologies. Due to the government agreement as there is free trade that gives new opportunities to Zee Entertainment Enterprises.
- Growing Economy: One of the great opportunities for Zee Entertainment Enterprises is the growing economy. There is a rising economy that brings the international film and television production company Zee Entertainment Enterprises with new customers. They can gain new customers with a good strategy. They have captured three separate businesses as a result they have a huge broadcast in countries like India.
- International Growth: As a multinational film and television production company, Zee Entertainment Enterprises is constantly looking for a new market to grow internationally. They have a huge stake in the US, UK, Africa & Middle East, increasing their global presence.
- Consolidation: Over the years they have established many companies such as Zee Entertainment Enterprises television and home shopping network. For the growing business, they have to arrange funds they need for support for the operations and shareholders friendly initiatives and the company mainly depends upon acquisitions and merging.
- Attract Youth: Zee Entertainment Enterprises is still running the same old school daily soaps on its entertainment channels. Zee should build some dedicated shows for youths particularly on weekends so that the company can attract the youth which is a majority in the nation.
Threats to Zee Entertainment Enterprises
Threats referred to the factor in the environment of the business that put a hurdle to the brand to grow. It slows down the growth of the business. Following are some of the threats for Zee Entertainment Enterprises:
- Increasing Competition: The industry’s competition has increased with a number of many new channels. For example, new channels such as Colours are able to grab the #1 spot.
- The similarity of Shows: The major threat of media and entertainment companies is the similarity of shows in all general entertainment channels(GECs). So, if Zee Entertainment Enterprises does not change the trend it may hamper them a lot.
- Small Production Houses: One of the biggest threats to the oldest film and television production company is the evolving small film production houses on OTT platforms. Due to current situations, many users are preferring watching movies on OTT platforms over going to the cinema.
- Currency Fluctuations: As an international film and television production company, Zee Entertainment Enterprises has to consider the fluctuations in the currency of different countries.
- Changes in the Policies: They have an international market, if the government changes its policies they have to change it according to the respective country’s lawsuit.
With this, we have reached the end of the SWOT Analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises. This analysis helps the company to know where it stands in the market and understand its weaknesses and create proper strategies to improve in the future.
In the study of the SWOT Analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises, we have known that movies produced by Zee Entertainment Enterprises are the most-watched in the world. It has a large international presence and cash flow. It can grow with the help of new markets and consolidation. Even after it has such advantages in the market it still faces some flaws.
Changing trends and mostly dependent on advertising are some of the weaknesses of Zee Entertainment Enterprises. It can also face a threat in the future from the strong competition and changes in policies in different markets. As most people have shifted towards digital platforms, the most important thing that it needs is a digital marketing and having an online presence. If you are interested in learning and upskilling, check out IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course to know more.
We hope this blog on the SWOT Analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Zee Entertainment Enterprises in the comments section below.