Previously we looked at the elaborated marketing strategy of Microsoft, the world’s leading software application provider. In this article, we will go through the SWOT Analysis of V Guard Industries – one of the most known voltage stabilizer manufacturers in India.
V Guard Industries is one of the most common brands in India and other countries for its good work on its brand management and overall company effort. The company is increasing its value in national and international product market share.
The company is working on improving and developing different strategies to increase its market share by working on digital advertising strategies, as the world is being digitized. If you want to know more about digital marketing check out our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Want to see how V Guard Industries has succeeded in the electrical equipment industry? In this blog, you will learn about the SWOT analysis of V Guard Industries. Before we get started, learn more about V Guard Industries, how it was established, its products, its financial position, and its competitors.
About V Guard Industries
V Guard Industries Ltd is one of the major appliance manufacturers in India. It is located in Kerala and its annual turnover is USD 340 million in the financial year 2017-2018. Founded in 1977, the V Guard Industries manufactures products such as voltage stabilisers, electric pumps, electric cables, electric motors, geysers, solar water heaters, electric fans and UPSs.
The V Guard Industries Ltd was founded in 1977 by Mr Kochouseph Chittilappilly as a small voltage stabilizer manufacturing industry, by Kochouseph Chittilappilly. The company is headquartered in the city of Kochi, Kerala, with over 500 distributors, 40,000 retailers and 31 branches across India during the first half of the year 2019.
|Origin||Kochi, Kerala, India|
|No. of Employees||2,686+|
|Company Type||Rs 9,036.49 Crore (2022)|
|Market Cap||Rs 968.4 Crore (2021)|
|Annual Revenue||Rs 53.16 Crore (2021)|
|Net Income/ Profit||$ 6.009 Billion (2020)|
Products & Services by V Guard Industries
V Guard Industries has a variety of products and sub-products, below listed are some common types of products manufactured by them:
- Voltage Stabilisers
- Inverter, Dups, Solar Power Systems and Inverter Batteries
- Electric, Solar and Heat Pump Water Heaters
- Wires and Cables
- Kitchen Appliances
- Domestic Switch Gears
- Modular Switches
- Air Coolers
- Water Purifiers and
Competitors of V Guard Industries
Here are some of the most competing companies of the V Guard Industries
- Suzlon Energy
- Voltamp Trans
- Schneider Infra
- Hitachi Energy
- CG Power
As now we have a better understanding of V Guard Industries, let’s look into the SWOT Analysis of V Guard Industries.
SWOT Analysis of V Guard Industries
A SWOT analysis identifies a company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. A proven and true management paradigm that allows V Guard Industries to compare its business and performance with competitors and the industry as a whole.
So let us go ahead and first have a glance at the strengths of V Guard Industries from the SWOT analysis of V Guard Industries.
Strengths of V Guard Industries
The strength of an organisation is the special abilities that make them stand out and create its own space in the market. Here are some strengths of V Guard Industries:
- Diversified Products: As a consumer goods company, V Guard Industries offers a diversified range of products including domestic, industrial and agricultural electronic goods and appliances. V Guard Industries manufactures products such as voltage stabilisers, electric pumps, electric cables, electric motors, geysers, solar water heaters, electric fans and UPSs.
- Further Expansion: The company always bet big on its products and trusts its quality and this belief is defined as the strength of V Guard Industries. V Guard Industries is planning further to expand its consumer durables and kitchen appliances division outside South India.
- International Markets: V Guard Industries invests greatly in fast-moving and emerging markets including European, South Africa, the US and the UK. This strategy has expanded its presence and also helps to attain greater visibility.
- Genuine Material Suppliers: It has a powerful base of reliable suppliers of raw materials, thus facilitating the company to survive any supply chain bottlenecks.
- Highly Skilled Workforce: V Guard Industries is empowering large resources in the training and development of its employees, resulting in a workforce that is not only highly competent but also motivated to achieve a surplus.
- CSR Activities: V Guard Industries has a huge contribution to social initiatives and it commits to continuously improving its social responsibilities. V Guard Industries CSR efforts revolve around eight strong pillars of health & nutrition, education, skill development, sanitation, healthcare, environment, heritage conservation and other humanitarian causes being children at the core.
- Customer Satisfaction: V Guard Industries achieved the position that it has today because of the trust and confidence imposed on them by its customers. Their customers are satisfied with V Guard Industries’s effective exceptional products and services.
- Follows Sustainability: V Guard Industries lives on the ethos of sustainability and manufacturing its goods using new innovative efficiencies. V Guard Industries is focused on delivering powerful, sustainable and energy-efficient solutions. V Guard Industries’ sustainability vision is to reduce CO2 emissions, improve environmental protection, improve quality of life, and offer profitable solutions to the market.
Weaknesses of V Guard Industries
Weaknesses are the areas of an organisation where improvement or attention is needed the most. Some major flaws of V Guard Industries are listed below:
- Globally Small Market Share: The global market share of V Guard Industries is slowly going down. Big international brands like Samsung, Prestige, Philips etc. are covered at all places ultimately reducing the market visibility of V Guard Industries.
- Debt Ratio: V Guard Industries is estimated to owe a high debt ratio that is a big weakness for its business success.
- A Slowdown in Global Markets: A slowdown in the global market will affect more adversely after a series of acquisitions.
- Switchgear Segment: Although V Guard Industries’s lights, switchgear, and fans are preferred by household contractors, still V Guard Industries has a weak place in the overall industrial switchgear segment or we can say on a global scale.
- Operational Complexity: With an increasing audience, the group is providing a large number of consumer goods as much as they can. While making adjustments, a small change can make an unexpected impact on operational complexity. Providing a variety of products is causing operational complexity for the group.
Opportunities for V Guard Industries
Opportunities refer to convenient external factors that could grant the organisation a competitive advantage. Some of the opportunities for V Guard Industries are listed below:
- Advantage of Being Leading: V Guard Industries is India’s leading brand in terms of electronic equipment and this can be taken as an advantage by V Guard Industries to extend its acquisition of other companies including Chinese manufacturers.
- Globally Emerging Markets: Critically, an emerging market economy is transitioning from a low income, less developed, often pre-industrial economy towards a modern, industrial economy with a higher standard of living.
- Working on Weak Segment: V Guard Industries working on its weaknesses will provide them with more opportunities to expand its business operations.
- New Technology: V Guard Industries may now use differential pricing in the new market thanks to the new technology. It will motivate the company to reinforce its existing clients via excellent service while also attracting new clients through various value-oriented offers.
- New Markets: The adoption of new technology criteria and government free trade agreements has provided V Guard Industries with an opportunity to enter a newly developing market.
Threats to V Guard Industries
Threats are something that can sceptically affect the organisation externally. Here are some threats to V Guard Industries:
- High Competition: V Guard Industries’s stable profitability has increased many competitors in the industry over the last two years which has put downward pressure on not only profitability but also on overall sales, so this is one of the biggest threats for V Guard Industries.
- Competitors Advance Technologies: New technologies developed by competitors or market disruptors could be a serious threat to the industry in the medium to long term future. This is because due to the new technologies developed by the competitors they would be able to do more production, and because of more production, they would be able to supply more as per the demand. New technologies also help in reducing the cost of production.
- The Pressure of Environment Bodies: The company’s heavy manufacturing of electronic equipment manufacturing plants led to increasing pressure from environmental activists and several lawsuits against V Guard Industries for exploiting the environment.
- Local Distributors & Contractors: Distributors and contractors taking contracts for fitting electronic components in Indian households are using local or duplicate electronic components to save higher margins and increase their profit. This has been a huge threat to V Guard Industries because local manufacturers and distributors are capturing the market at a faster pace by providing higher margins to such contractors.
- Huge Dependence on the Indian Market: V Guard Industries is hugely dependent on the economic movements of the Indian market because the business seeks maximum profit from India and a sudden uneven economic condition can lead to V Guard Industries seeing some bad days.
This ends our elaborative SWOT analysis of V Guard Industries. Let us conclude our learning below.
V Guard Industries is a well-known corporation with a significant global presence. In the SWOT analysis of V Guard Industries, we observed that the company is heavily reliant and enjoys strong brand recognition and trust with its customers. It has a strong customer base with a great track record of millions of people, not just from India but from all over the world.
The company has a strong logistical basis and has reached across all the markets, but suffers from the increasing number of manufacturers in the same field and better R&D efforts by its competitors.
In a changing landscape where digital marketing is at its peak, being well knowledgeable about the field is a must for marketing enthusiasts. If you are interested in learning digital marketing, check out IIDE’s Online Digital Marketing Course to know more. If you want to learn more and to get in-depth knowledge about digital marketing, check out IIDE’s 11 Month MBA Level Digital Marketing Post Graduate Program
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of V Guard Industries has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of V Guard Industries, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of V Guard Industries in the comments section below.