Previously, we had conducted a detailed SWOT analysis of one of the top beauty companies in the world which is Revlon. Now we move on to the SWOT analysis of Super Smelly which is another extremely successful company in this sector.
Super Smelly is India’s first and only 100% toxic-free personal care brand. Launched in January 2019. Super Smelly has disrupted the world by introducing a category, never seen before. The brand makes natural and fun to use products, through multiple path-breaking skincare formulations that are both effective and safe for young skin, and capable of cracking even the toughest teenage skin.
Super smelly already catered to over two lakh customers from 350+ cities, the leading personal care brand is witnessing a 200 per cent growth rate since April 2020. Within the two years of its operations, which also witnessed the global outbreak of COVID-19, Super Smelly has recorded a remarkable annual recurring revenue of 12 crores.
The brand has been leveraging online platforms to promote the content through 1,000+ social media influencers. As the world is going online, marketing is changing, and if you are interested to learn about the latest check out our Free MasterClasses on Digital Marketing by CEO and founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Through this blog, we will provide you with the elaborate SWOT Analysis of Super Smelly but before we do that let’s first take a look at the company and understand its history, products and competitors better.
About Super Smelly
In 2018, founder Milam Sharma & co-founder Dipali Mathur launched Super Smelly in New Delhi. Super Smelly focuses on furthering the toxin-free movement, building a rising future for the next generation. The brand makes natural and fun to use products, through multiple path-breaking skincare formulations that are both effective and safe for young skin, and capable of cracking even the toughest teenage skin.
Being a pioneer in toxin-free products, Super Smelly has created a strong foothold in this category. With a deep understanding of generation Z and its needs, the youth-oriented brand is trying to solve the problems. The company is committed to listening to its consumer’s problems from the brand name to packaging, to the next product launch and everything needed.
Super Smelly products are available on e-commerce platforms including Amazon, Flipkart, Nykaa and Bigbasket. The brand currently retails across 250 outlets in Delhi-NCR. Super Smelly is targeting youngsters between the ages of 7 to 19 years of age. Its product range features deodorant sprays, cream sticks, face washes, pocket perfumes, lip balms and shower gels.
Super Smelly, India’s first and only 100% toxin-free personal care brand is planning to roll out pan India and also expand to the Middle East, the UK, and the US by taking the digital route.
|Founder||Dipali Mathur & Milan Sharma|
|Origin||New Delhi, India|
|No. of Employees||25+|
|Annual Revenue||Rs 12 Crore (2021)|
|Net Income/ Profit||N/A|
Products of Super Smelly
Top 5 products of Super Smelly. Its products are free from chemicals including sulphates, triclosan, PEGs or silicons.
- Hair gel
- Face Wash
- Hair Oil
- Lip Balm
Competitors of Super Smelly
Top 5 competitors of Super Smelly provide safe and toxin-free solutions to all the personal skincare and hygiene challenges of the youth.
- Mama Earth
- Khadi Naturals
Since we have now got to know a lot about the company, let’s get into the much-awaited SWOT analysis of Super Smelly.
SWOT Analysis of Super Smelly
SWOT analysis is known as analysing the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of a company. It helps to understand the competitive position of the company and guides you to conduct strategic planning accordingly. You can understand the internal and external factors of the company through this particular method.
It is created to give someone a realistic image of a company. It also gives a data-driven and very fact-based look at the company.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of Super Smelly, refer to the infographic below:
Now first let’s begin with the strengths of the company from the SWOT analysis of Super Smelly.
Strengths of Super Smelly
The strengths of a company are what make it different from the rest and give it an upper hand. It is what helps the brand gain success. Given below are the strengths of Super Smelly:
- Range of Options: Committed to creating a highly personalised personal care experience, they have a range of Deodorant, Hair gel, Face Wash, Hair Oil and Lip Balm which are 100% toxic-free products to cater to the various needs of today’s customers who are switching towards a healthier lifestyle.
- Great Social Media Management: On different social media platforms, this brand has a very strong online presence and thus has been able to reach many individuals worldwide and attract people with its campaigns and social media management.
Bonus Tip: You can also advertise your business on social media platforms to your potential customers and maintain relationships with them using online reputation management. But wait, did you know how to do that? If your answer is no, then don’t worry because we at IIDE are offering 13+ short term courses in digital marketing from which you can select the requisite skills and areas where you wanna get expertise such as social media marketing and online reputation management.
These skill courses are delivered by digital industry experts who have achieved success in establishing the future of many candidates. These digital marketing skills are proven beneficial in terms of future growth and career opportunities for those who learn. You must check out these links to know more.
- Certified Products: Safe Cosmetics Australia a certified company says that Super Smelly products are not only 100% toxin-free but also contain natural ingredients to protect kids across the country.
- Strong Geographical Presence: Super smelly already catered to over two lakh customers from 350+ cities. The brand currently retails across 250 outlets in Delhi-NCR and is available on e-commerce platforms including Amazon, Flipkart, Nykaa and Bigbasket.
- Diversified Workforce: Super Smelly has always believed in having a diverse and very inclusive workforce that enables the employees to create innovative products and understand consumers and their constantly changing needs.
- Attractive Packaging: Super Smelly along with super quality products they all time gravitated towards sweet-sounding names and attractive packaging which cater according to what youth are looking for. The packaging feels fun, exciting, young and effective.
Weaknesses of Super Smelly
The factors that prevent a company from working at its true potential are the specific areas in that the company could do better. Some of the weaknesses of Super Smelly are
- Store Location: Super Smelly has around 350+ stores and only in New Delhi; however, the majority of them are not located as individual stores in less popular cities as well as in highly popular cities. The maximum number of people who are not from Delhi merely buy from Super Smelly.
- International Presence: The brand record of Super Smelly isn’t as high as the other popular brands. Yet to project itself as a global player, especially in emerging economies like the US, China and Russia.
- Quite Expensive: Super Smelly comes under the organic segment and thus its products’ prices are quite on a higher side as compared to other brands in the market offering chemical-based products at a little cheaper price. Due to this, people who want to buy a product from Super Smelly are taking their feet back just because they are not willing to pay.
- Customer Experience Becoming Expensive: Super Smelly is always trying to emphasise creating customer experience at the best possible and that’s good but sometimes over-focus on creating customer experience causes customers to take advantage of such experiences.
- Counterfeited Products: Nowadays has made it easier for design pirates to make fake products due to which fake products look more accurate and quicker than ever as detailed shots of the products are posted within a few minutes of launching them, so sometimes it is hard to trust them, due to which other brands also suffer somewhere.
- Limited Product Category: Super Smelly has stopped themselves with personal care products alone. They could have expanded their product lines to bath and shower-based products which could have generated more revenue than their competitors.
Opportunities for Super Smelly
The opportunities are also known as the favourable external factors and are the areas where a company can take advantage of and become better than its competitors.
- Growing Demand: The market for hair care and personal care products is expanding, and it has significant demographic and geographic potential. The market potential is always increasing as more people use hair care products daily and there is so much competition in the hair care industry, people are well aware of its importance.
- Exposure of New Markets: Consumers always look forward to paying higher prices for greater value products and opportunities to penetrate the market. The opportunity to bring into emerging economies by engaging with their environment can help to raise Super Smelly. Recently, Super Smelly expanded its footprint with the New Jo Malone London store in Mumbai, India.
- Organic Products: There is increasing demand for organic cosmetics. This demand is a favourable sign to Super Smelly people who have employed organic R&D since the beginning.
- Phobia of Chemicals: In this era, people are demanding natural products. In the future, people will even pay a bit higher to protect themselves from chemical reactions and skin problems. There is a chance that overall sales for Super Smelly might increase gradually as the company is in the business of selling organic products.
Threats to Super Smelly
These are what can cause harm to any organisation and need to be dealt with smartly to avoid any problems for the company. The threats for Super Smelly are
- Expensive Testing Process: It is known to all that this company’s products are allergy tested 100% fragrance-free. They do not use any animals for any kind of testing and encourage people not to. Thus it results in expensive testing processes for the company.
- Market Difficulty: Almost all players come under the beauty category and differentiation is very difficult. Customers are very anxious about the beauty category so attracting them needs more brand quality and services.
- Competition from Other Brands: New personal and skincare brands are also creating products with newer competitive innovations and technology for retail stores which is increasing the competition of Super Smelly.
- High Competition: Despite their excellent products, Super Smelly has been unsuccessful in defeating this market competition since the very beginning. Super Smelly must try new innovative strategies to excel in this competitive industry; otherwise, It will lose many customers and sales.
- Building Brand Trust: Super Smelly has taken an initiative in the manufacture of non-toxic personal care products. Super Smelly is an expert in manufacturing such products but as compared to already existing competitors, gaining and building trust among its customers is time-consuming and requires a great amount of effort.
This ends our extensive SWOT analysis of Super Smelly. Let us conclude our learning below.
Super Smelly is made-safe, 100% toxin-free, vegan, and allergen-free products. They only use fragrances that are free from toxins and allergies.
The SWOT analysis of Super Smelly shows that the company is well on its way to greater success. It needs to place more confidence in itself to pursue the markets worldwide and connect with more consumers that would be interested in its brand and offerings. Super Smelly was launched to offer healthy and toxin-free personal care products. Super Smelly focuses to further the toxin-free movement, establishing a healthy future for the next generation.
The marketing efforts made by a company lead them to a successful position and help them achieve their goals. In today’s time, digital marketing has gained immense importance and one should be skilled in it to be better and at the top.
Super Smelly has been reaching people all over the world and a major reason it has got to where it is today is through its marketing efforts. If you also wish to be skilled in this field and become more knowledgeable about it then have a look at IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Digital Marketing Course and apply for it.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Super Smelly has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Super Smelly, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Super Smelly in the comments section below.