Last time we studied the SWOT analysis of GEICO which is one of the fastest-growing auto insurance companies In America and one of the competitors of Progressive. This time around, let us dive into the detailed study or SWOT analysis on Progressive. Let’s get started.
The third-largest auto insurer – Progressive is the market leader and serves the people in the US with insurance products that are low in rates but with superior benefits. The main mission is the satisfaction of their customers. Along with this, it also wants to benefit society at large which includes providing equal employment opportunities.
Progressive ads are known mainly for their creativity and marketing efforts. So if you are interested in learning the latest marketing efforts which are digital marketing – check out our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Before we go into the SWOT Analysis of Progressive, let us know about Progressive as a company.
America’s fastest-growing auto insurance company – Progressive was founded in the year 1937 by two guys from Cleveland named Joseph Lewis and Jack Green along with a few lawyers who were just getting started with their career.
Progressive started by only dealing with Motor insurance but now it has vast insurance offerings and extended services to all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, boats, commercial vehicles, trucks, trailers insurance etc. It also provides home, life, pet, and other insurance.
Progressive truly believes in making innovative approaches to auto insurance. Progressive people and their work culture are best at creating the unexpected auto insurance experience for their customers. Progressive is built on ingenuity, perseverance, innovation, resilience, hard and honest work.
|Founder||Joseph Lewis and Jack Green|
|Origin||Mayfield Village, Ohio, USA/td>|
|No. of Employees||43,000|
|Market Cap||$59.61 Billion (2021)|
|Annual Revenue||$42.658 Billion (2020)|
|Net Income/ Profit||$5.704 Billion (2020)|
Products of Progressive
There is so much more to this insurance company and what it has to offer to its customers than its intelligent and lovable spokesperson. The company also offers a wide variety of affordable insurance products and Progressive mobile and web apps. It deals with:
- Life insurance
- Boat insurance
- Auto insurance
- Trailer insurance
- Motor insurance
- Pet insurance
Competitors of Progressive
Progressive’s top five major competitors are
- Safeco insurance
- Mercury insurance
- Auto-owners insurance
Now that we have understood the company’s core products and services, let’s dive deep into the SWOT analysis of Progressive.
SWOT Analysis of Progressive
SWOT analysis is a study which is undertaken by the majority of companies to determine their core strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. It is a framework that is used to evaluate a company’s competitive position which later helps in strategic planning. SWOT analysis can be conducted by any popular brand or any brand which is still new in the market can make use of this template to evaluate internal and external variables that might influence the brand authority and market development.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of Progressive, refer to the infographics image below:
Below is a step-by-step detailed guide to help you with the SWOT analysis of Progressive.
Strengths of Progressive
The strengths are basically what makes the brand different from the other competitors and what the organisation excels at. Following are the strengths:
- Strong Reach and Customer Support: Progressive has a large number of local agents and customer support for any questions and concerns is available 24/7/365. This makes sure that the insurance products and care services are made instantly available to their customers at any time.
- Cost Structure: As we read earlier, the main motive is to make the insurance products available at a low rate so that they can be more affordable. Progressive’s low-cost structure helps them provide insurance that is low cost but with superior benefits.
- First Mover Advantage: Progressive has launched many innovations that its competitors don’t, such as in 2010 Progressive was the first major U.S. car insurer to release an Android™ app just for car insurance and there are many more which are listed on Progressive’s website.
- Financial Position: Progressive has a very strong financial position in the market with consecutive profits over the years along with accumulated profit reserves which can be utilised for future expenditures or marketing activities.
- Skilled Labour Force: Progressive has invested heavily in the employees that have made them not only skilled but are also highly motivated.
- High Level of Customer Satisfaction: Progressive has gained the trust of more than 18 million customers and has a very strong customer relationship management team through which they keep their current customers very satisfied and also enjoy a good brand equity status among potential customers.
Weaknesses of Progressive
The weaknesses are a major drawback that stops the organisation from performing at its optimum level. They are the areas in which businesses can make improvements. The major drawbacks are as follows:
- Research and Development: Progressive has a good share of expenditure on the research and development department but it is spending way less than a few of the players within the industry which have benefitted as a result of their innovative products.
- Diversity in the Workforce: The local workers contribute to the majority of the workforce at Progressive making it difficult for outsiders to adjust and hence resulting in the loss of talent.
- High Employee Turnover Rates: Progressive has a very high employee turnover rate as compared to its competitors which means it spends a lot on training activities as employees keep leaving and joining.
- Low Interest: Low-interest rate structure in the US decreases the profitability of people buying insurance from Progressive.
Opportunities of Progressive
Opportunities are the favourable external factors that may give the organization a competitive advantage over others. The opportunities of Progressive are as follows:
- Social Media: Over the years the number of active users on social media channels has increased and with this Progressive can make use of its social media handles to promote its products, interact with customers and even provide after-sale services.
You can also leverage the benefits of social media and other digital marketing channels to your business by simply learning several digital marketing skills from a renowned institute just like IIDE where experts from the digital industry teach the latest and upgraded digital marketing skills through online live and recorded sessions right to you whilst you are seated at your home.
- Transport Industry: The transport industry has been booming and is expected to boom in the next few years as well which has resulted in more auto insurance which is helpful for Progressive to scale its business.
- Globalisation: Increased globalisation doesn’t restrict Progressive anymore to conducting activities in its own country which can act as an opportunity to extend operation in other countries and thus enter new markets and unleash potentials of other new markets.
- Future of Insurance Company: Global life premium insurance growth is predicted to rebound to 3% with increased risk awareness owing to COVID-19 and global economic recovery set to accelerate the demand for life insurance products.
- Future Trends: The next 10 years will see the insurance industry moving from traditional to more customer-centric products. In the post-pandemic era, due to personalized services, the products are given based on information collected from external sources and devices.
Threats of Progressive
Threats are those factors that have the potential to provide harm to the organisation in any form. The threats of Progressive are as follows:
- Technological Advancements: The technological advancements by a few competitors can pose a threat to Progressive as today’s customers are more attracted towards new technological advancements and may be lost to competitors’ offerings thus reducing the market share of Progressive.
- Competition: There is always an ongoing competition that puts downward pressure on the prices. This could lead to lower profits if it makes changes in the price or may also result in lower market share if it doesn’t make price changes.
- Controversies & Allegations: Progressive has been caught in several court cases and customers allegations in the year between 2002-12 which has considerably affected the trust and reputation of Progressive among its customers.
- Fluctuating Interest Rates: The interest rates keep on fluctuating and don’t provide a stable financial and economic environment.
- Exchange Rate: The exchange rate also keeps fluctuating and makes it difficult for a company like Progressive because it extends service internationally while its suppliers are local.
This ends our complete SWOT analysis of Progressive. Let us conclude our learning below.
Progressive is a well-known insurance brand with a significant global presence. In the SWOT analysis of Progressive, we observed that the company is heavily reliant and enjoys strong brand recognition and trust with its customers. It has a strong distribution network and has reached across all the markets it serves, but suffers from an increasing number of suppliers in the same space and better R&D efforts by its competitors.
Also, one point not to miss out on is that Progressive is in line with its marketing effort. It has created a customer base for itself by tapping into the digital era and creating a social media presence on several platforms. If you are interested in learning digital marketing, don’t forget to check out IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Digital Marketing Course.
We hope this blog on the SWOT Analysis of Progressive has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. You can also read our comprehensive study on the SWOT Analysis of JP Morgan Chase.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Progressive, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Progressive in the comments section below.