In the previous blog, we discussed the SWOT analysis of Iberdrola, which is one of the most important electric utilities in the globe. Following the thread, this time we are going to cover the SWOT analysis of Power China which is additionally popularly referred to as Power Construction Corporation of China Ltd.
Power China is a construction company based in China and it is the largest by annual revenue in the Chinese region it employs more than 130,000 employees.
Marketing is another aspect of Power China’s growth. As we all know after Covid-19 the world is going digital. Hence, marketing strategies are changing dynamically. In today’s time, the reformed marketing tactics used in digital marketing and if you are interested in learning skills of digital marketing then check our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 1O1 by Karan Shah, the CEO and founding father of IIDE.
In this blog, we will do an extensive SWOT analysis of Power China and find out the company’s overall performance. We will also be talking about products of Power China as well as Power China’s close competitors. Before we begin with our analysis let’s learn more about Power China, the company’s overview, its founding, products, and competitors.
About Power China
Power Construction Corporation of China, branded as Power China, is a completely State-owned company administered by the State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission and a part of the heavy and engineering construction industry.
Power Construction Corporation of China, Ltd provides engineering contracting services within the People’s Republic of China and internationally. Power China boasts world-leading construction (EPC) services in the development of hydropower, waterworks, thermal power, new energy, and transmission and distribution projects, in addition to achievements in the fields of infrastructure, equipment manufacturing, real estate, and investment.
Power China’s overseas brands include Hydrochina, Sepco III, Hypec, and Sinohydro. The corporation follows through real estate, investment, and finance businesses, and performs operations and maintenance (O&M) services. The corporation executes construction projects within the Asia Pacific, America, Africa, the Middle East, and Europe. Power China is headquartered in Beijing, China.
|No. of Employees||1,32,583+|
|Market Cap||128.21 Billion CNY (2022)|
|Annual Revenue||459.75 Billion CNY (2022)|
|Net Income/ Profit||7.72 Billion CNY (2022)|
Products & Services by Power China
Power China has been in the heavy and engineering construction industry for over a decade and deals in:
- Engineering Construction
- Renewable Energy
- Hydropower and Thermal Power
- Design Consultation
- Equipment Manufacturing
Competitors of Power China
Power China competes on a global level with numerous other power construction groups. The top 5 competitors of Power China are:
- China Railway Group
- TTCL Public
- ASGC Construction
- ALEC Engineering and Contracting
- Elsewedy Electric
As now we have a better understanding of Power China, let’s look into the SWOT Analysis of Power China.
SWOT Analysis of Power China
A SWOT analysis identifies a company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. A proven and true management paradigm that allows Power China to compare its business and performance with competitors and the industry as a whole.
So let us go ahead and first have a glance at the strengths of Power China from the SWOT analysis of Power China.
Strengths of Power China
Your organization’s strength is something that makes it stand out from the rest. It can be a competitive advantage that sets it apart from its competitors. Some of the strengths of Power China are as follows –
- Automation of Activities: Automation of activities has given rise to the density of quality of Power China products and has permitted the company to scale up and scale down based on the demand conditions in the market.
- Good Returns on Capital Expenditure: Power China is moderately successful at the performance of new projects and has developed good returns on capital expenditure by creating new revenue streams.
- High Level of Customer Satisfaction: Having a committed relationship with their customers helps them to achieve a high level of customer fulfilment among present customers and good brand equity among future customers.
- Strong Dealer Community: This culture encourages the dealers to promote the company’s products and services and also helps the sales team to explain the benefits of the products to the customers.
- Genuine Suppliers: It has a powerful base of reliable suppliers of raw materials, thus facilitating the company to survive any supply chain bottlenecks.
- Highly Skilled Workforce: Power China is empowering large resources in the training and development of its employees, resulting in a workforce that is not only highly competent but also motivated to achieve a surplus.
Weaknesses of Power China
Weaknesses are negative factors that can prevent an organization from achieving its goals and objectives. Some of these include a poor brand, high levels of debt, inadequate supply chains, and lack of capital. So here are some of the weaknesses of Power China –
- Gaps in the Product Range: There are gaps in the product range sold by the company. This deficiency of options can give a new competitor a foothold in the market.
- High Attrition Rate in the Workforce: As compared to other organizations, Power China has a higher deterioration rate and has to spend a lot more as compared to its competitors.
- Days Inventory is High as Compared to the Competitors: Making the company boost more capital to empower in the channel. This can affect the long-term growth of Power China.
- More Investment in New Technologies: As the company embarks on its next phase of expansion, it needs to invest in new technologies that can help it achieve its goals. Currently, investment in technology does not meet the ideas that a company has.
- Investment in Research and Development: Investment in Research and Development is below the rapidly growing players in the industry. Even though Power China is consuming above the industry average in Research and Development, it has not been able to compete with the leading players in the industry regarding innovation.
Opportunities for Power China
Opportunity is a type of competitive advantage that can be gained from various external factors. For instance, if a country lowers its tariffs, a car manufacturer can benefit by exporting its products to a new market. Opportunities for Power China are as follows –
- New Technology: Power China may now use differential pricing in the new market thanks to the new technology. It will motivate the company to reinforce its existing clients via excellent service while also attracting new customers through various value-oriented offers.
- New Markets: The adoption of new technology criteria and government free trade agreements has provided Power China with an opportunity to enter a newly developing market.
- Stable Free Cash Flow: Stable free cash flow gives opportunities to empower contiguous product segments. With extra cash in the bank, the company can empower new technologies as well as new product segments.
- New Trends in Consumer Behaviour: New trends in the consumer behaviour can open up a new market for Power China. It gives a great opportunity for the organization to build new revenue streams and modify them into new product categories too.
- Low Transportation Cost: Decreasing the cost of transportation because of shorter shipping prices can also bring down the cost of Power China’s products thus providing an opportunity to the company – either to increase its profitability of the company or accept the benefits to the customers to gain market share. So this is one of the biggest opportunities for Power China because by doing this they can save a lot of money.
- New Taxation Policy: The new taxation policy can considerably impact the way of doing business and can open new opportunities for established players such as Power China to increase its profitability.
Threats to Power China
Many factors can affect your business outside its immediate environment. Some of these include factors such as a shortage of skilled workers or a supply chain issue. The threats Power China is facing are as follows –
- High Competition: Power China’s stable profitability has increased many competitors in the industry over the last two years which has put downward pressure on not only profitability but also on overall sales, so this is one of the biggest threats for Power China.
- Currency Fluctuations: As the company is operating in numerous countries it is exposed to currency fluctuations especially given the volatile political climate in several of the markets across the world.
- Different Liability Laws: Liability laws in different countries are different and Power China may be exposed to various liability claims given changes in policies in those markets.
- Increasing Level of Payment: Rising pay levels, especially movements such as $15 an hour and increasing prices in China, can lead to serious pressure on the profitability of Power China.
- Competitors Advance Technologies: New technologies developed by competitors or market disruptors could be a serious threat to the industry in the medium to long term future. This is because due to the new technologies developed by the competitors they would be able to do more production, and because of more production, they would be able to supply more as per the demand. New technologies also help in reducing the cost of production.
- Increasing Trend Towards Isolationism: An increasing trend towards isolationism in the American economy can lead to similar reactions from other governments, thus negatively impacting international sales.
This ends our elaborative SWOT analysis of Power China. Let us conclude our learning below.
Power China is a world-renowned player in the power industry and engineering construction in China. In the SWOT analysis of Power China, we saw that Power China faces the challenge of innovation and product development. With time the method of strategic planning has changed in construction services.
With the growing competition in the construction market, companies are left to struggle to win over their customers with better marketing efforts. In an ever-changing world where digital marketing is extremely important, ample knowledge of the industry is important for all marketers. If you want to learn more and build marketing skills, check out IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course for additional information.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Power China has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Power China, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Power China in the comments section below.