Previously, we had conducted a detailed SWOT analysis of one of the top beauty companies in the world which is Revlon. Now we move on to the SWOT analysis of Clinique which is another extremely successful company in this sector.
You’ll be surprised to know that the idea for a brand like Clinique had come from a vogue article that was released in the year 1967. This brand makes people want to appreciate and take care of their skin because of their product quality.
Clinique’s digital marketing has always been strong and it has played an important role in getting their brand the recognition and success it has achieved over the years. It is extremely important to have digital skills and be up to date about them so that they can be applied at the right time to provide you success. To get such skills and knowledge on digital marketing take IIDE’s Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Through this blog, we will provide you with the elaborate SWOT Analysis of Clinique but before we do that let’s first take a look at the company and understand its history, products and competitors better.
(Evelyn Lauder – The Founder of Clinique, Source: Pinterest)
Amongst the trusted beauty brands in the world – Clinique is a brand that gave skincare a new angle, by creating scientifically sound skincare. They are one of the first brands to make products for sensitive skin and create their products accordingly. It gave people skincare they needed and not just skincare they wanted.
Clinique is a brand which was founded in the year 1968 by Evelyn Lauder who was also the daughter in law of Estée Lauder. Both companies share origins. It now has stores in almost 135 separate countries.
Evelyn Lauder had collaborated with a dermatologist called Dr Norman Orentreich to come up with this brand which created skincare that was a game-changer. They are one of the first skincare brands to provide allergy-tested products and 100% fragrance-free as well. It believes in and encourages people to follow a three-step basic skincare routine which is to cleanse, exfoliate and finally moisturise.
|Origin||New York City|
|No. of Employees||1,106|
|Net Income/ Profit||N/A|
Products of Clinique
Clinique has become one of the best skincare brands and sells a variety of high-quality products such as
Competition of Clinique
Clinique has competitors from all around the world and some of the top competitors are:
Since we have now got to know a lot about the company, let’s get into the much-awaited SWOT analysis of Clinique.
SWOT Analysis of Clinique
SWOT analysis is known as analysing the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of a company. It helps to understand the competitive position of the company and guides you to conduct strategic planning accordingly. You can understand the internal and external factors of the company through this particular method.
It is created to give someone a realistic image of a company. It also gives a data-driven and very fact-based look at the company.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of Clinique, refer to the infographic below:
Now first let’s begin with the strengths of the company from the SWOT analysis of Clinique.
Strengths of Clinique
The strengths of a company are what make it different from the rest and give it an upper hand. It is what helps the brand gain success. Given below are the strengths of Clinique:
- Product Innovation: Clinique has always managed to continue coming up with new and improved products of the best quality and has pleased its customers each time.
- High Customer Satisfaction: Through what is called its customer relationship management, Clinique has a great number of extremely satisfied customers and is ready to equally satisfy the future customers as well.
- Great Social Media Management: On different social media platforms, this brand has a very strong online presence and thus has been able to reach many individuals worldwide and attract people with its campaigns and social media management.
Bonus Tip: You can also advertise your business on social media platforms to your potential customers and maintain relationships with them using online reputation management. But wait, did you know how to do that? If your answer is no, then don’t worry because we at IIDE are offering 13+ short term courses in digital marketing from which you can select the requisite skills and areas where you wanna get expertise such as social media marketing and online reputation management.
These skill courses are delivered by digital industry experts who have achieved success in establishing the future of many candidates. These digital marketing skills are proven beneficial in terms of future growth and career opportunities for those who learn. You must check out these links to know more.
- Strong Geographical Presence: Clinique has a very good geographical presence and is sold in almost 107 countries all over the world. This shows that the brand provides easy accessibility and has a wide target market.
- Diversified Workforce: Clinique has always believed in having a diverse and very inclusive workforce that enables the employees to create innovative products and understand consumers and their constantly changing needs.
Weaknesses of Clinique
The factors that prevent a company from working at its true potential and are the specific areas that the company could do better in. Some of the weaknesses of Clinique are:
- Little Success Outside Core Business: Although in its industry Clinique is one of the best brands, it has had trouble moving towards other product segments.
- High Attrition Rate: When compared to its other competitors, this brand has a higher attrition rate and ends up spending more on the training of the employees.
- Research and Development: Although Clinique does spend a good amount on research and development, it still can be noticed that it spends less compared to the other players in the industry.
- Extremely Centralised Decision-making: The decisions are highly centralised as whatever decisions are being made by the teams are required to be approved by particular officials, which reduces efficiency in all operations by causing them to be more time consuming than expected.
- Poor Cash Flow Management: When it comes to cash flows, Clinique has very poor financial planning and thus causing them to face situations with less than required cash flow which ultimately leads to them having to borrow unnecessarily.
Opportunities for Clinique
The opportunities are also known as the favourable external factors and are the areas where a company can take advantage of and become better amongst its competitors.
- Increase Customer Base from Online Channels: Over the years the Clinique has put in a great amount of money for online platforms and that has led to new and better sales channels for the company. In the coming year, the company can understand the customer needs better and serve them accordingly.
- New Technology: The new technology enables the company to come up with differentiated pricing strategies that will help them maintain its current and very loyal consumers. It will also assist them in attracting new ones.
- Good Market Knowledge: Since the Clinique has been in the industry for so long and has been one of the leading brands, it has great market knowledge which it can use to understand the ever-changing consumer tastes and needs and act on accordingly to gain success in the market.
- Men’s Segment: Clinique is a brand meant for women, and with the fastest growing men’s care segment there are great opportunities and a lot more to explore with skincare products for men as it will open a new market for Clinique.
- High-End Products: It should also start focusing on the demands and wants of the consumer as it has already mastered their needs. A brand like Clinique released its Clinique luxe range which are premium products for the consumers. Introducing products like this will increase the brand value of Clinique.
Threats to Clinique
These are what can cause harm to any organisation and need to be dealt with smartly to avoid any problems for the company. The threats for Clinique are:
- Expensive Testing Process: It is known to all that this company’s products are allergy tested 100% fragrance-free. They do not use any animals for any kind of testing and encourage people not to. Thus it results in expensive testing processes for the company.
- Many Products in the Market: With so many Clinique product variants and an equal number of rival brand variants, product differentiation becomes difficult, and customers become immune to differentiation, becoming overwhelmed by choice instead.
- Competition from Other Brands: New skincare and cosmetics brands are also creating products with newer competitive innovation and technology for retail stores which is increasing the competition of Clinique.
SWOT analysis of Clinique helps get a good understanding of the companies current strengths and weaknesses and work on them accordingly. It also helps form a good strategy for the future based on the opportunities to grab and threats to stay aware of.
This ends our extensive SWOT analysis of Clinique. Let us conclude our learning below.
Clinique is one of the biggest and thriving skincare and cosmetics brands in their industry and continues to do well. Through the SWOT Analysis of Clinique, we have come to the understanding that it has a great geographical and social media presence which leads to it having a huge customer base and target market. Its product quality and product innovation have been one of the major factors leading to customer satisfaction
Also, a diversified workforce has helped it gain success in the market. However, it needs to expand into other product segments and spend more on its R&D as it is important for the company, their decision-making process needs to be changed and made better and employee satisfaction should be measured to understand the high attrition rate.
The marketing efforts made by a company lead them to a successful position and help them achieve their goals. In today’s time, digital marketing has gained immense importance and one should be skilled in it to be better and at the top.
Clinique has been reaching people all over the world and a major reason it has got to where it is today is through its marketing efforts. If you also wish to be skilled in this field and become more knowledgeable about it then have a look at IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Digital Marketing Course and apply for it.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Clinique has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Clinique, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Clinique in the comments section below.