In the previous article, we did an in-depth SWOT analysis on the U.S Bank. Today we are here with another detailed SWOT Analysis of the Banco do Brasil, one of the most dominant banks in Brazil.
Banco do Brasil is the oldest bank in Brazil, and one of the oldest banks in continuous operation in the world. It is Brazil’s second-largest bank, as well as the second-largest in Latin America and the world’s seventy-seventh. The Brazilian government controls Banco do Brasil, which is listed on the B3 in So Paulo.
The bank has maintained its position amongst Brazil market with all its efforts in working on its marketing strategies. In this developing digital period, they have been adopting advanced marketing strategies which are essential for reaching out and making a great Digital presence. So if you want to know how to utilize digital marketing for your benefit – take a look at our free masterclass on digital marketing by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan shah.
Before we get into the SWOT Analysis of Banco do Brasil, let’s have a look at what Branco do Brasil is all about.
About Banco do Brasil
Banco do Brasil SA is Latin America’s largest banking institution, with subsidiaries, branches, and representative offices operating in more than 20 countries. Banco do Brasil is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Banco do Brasil SA, which was founded in 1980.
The bank has four branches in the following countries: Portugal, Spain, France, and Italy, in addition to its headquarters in Vienna, Austria. Banco do Brasil’s market strategy focuses on wholesale banking, mostly in agreements with Brazilian enterprises that want to market in Brazil and Europe while staying within country risk restrictions.
The company’s main products are corporate banking and trade financing. Import and export finance transactions, letters of credit, forfeit and guarantees make up the majority of the product offering. Domestic and international payment transfers, as well as money market transactions, round out Banco do Brasil’s product portfolio.
|Founder||John VI of Portugal|
|No. of Employees||99,161|
|Market Cap||$14.552 Billion (2021)|
|Annual Revenue||$15.67 Billion (2019)|
|Net Income/ Profit||$ 3.3 Billion (2017)|
Products & Services by Banco do Brasil
Banco do Brasil provides different services to keep their consumers satisfied. Banco do Brasil is one of the topmost banking groups in the world. Below mentioned are some of the Banco do Brasil products and services.
- Retail banking
- Private equity
Competitors of Banco do Brasil
- Itau00fa Unibanco
- Citi Bank
- Fidelity Investments
Now that we have some idea how Banco do Brasil works, let’s focus on a detailed SWOT analysis of Banco do Brasil.
SWOT Analysis of Banco do Brasil
SWOT analysis of Banco do Brasil is the study of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats of the company. This will help the company understand strong factors for their growth, weakness, and threats to rectify them for further growth.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of Banco do Brasil, refer to the infographics below:
Below is a step-by-step detailed guide to help you with the SWOT analysis of Banco do Brasil.
Strengths of Banco do Brasil
Certain abilities of an organization that are advantageous in capturing market share, attracting more customers, and maximizing profits can be called the strengths of that organization.
- Extensive Network: The bank has more than 99,000 employees with global offices and subsidiaries in more than 44+ points of different countries with a very wide range of services including retail banking, premium business and wealth management services.
- Brand Reputation: Banco do Brasil has been in the business of banking for a large number of years. Also, with the variety of secure services, it provides such as the Banco do Brasil app which is backed with secured digital channels to provide its users to securely transact with Banco do Brasil. These big steps made Banco do Brasil established as a leader in the industry. This helps the corporation to gain a reputation and get recognized easily.
Useful Tip: The time is digital and you can build your business reputation online by learning and implementing the ways from an online reputation management course which is taught by digital marketing industry experts in a practical oriented form.
- Automation: The bank has a well-established IT system that helps ensure efficiency in its internal and external operations. Also, with the advancements in technology, it has automated various stages of production, leading to reducing its cost. This helps maintain the quality of products and services.
- Strong Digital Marketing Strategy: With a very strong online presence on every social media site has built a strong customer relationship. Want to know how social media works as a strength for Banco do Brasil? Then you must check out the benefits of social media marketing to get the answer to your query.
- Best in its Country: The Bank is the second-largest bank in Brazil which itself tells that the bank is the best in Brazil in terms of commercial and retail banking.
Weakness of Banco do Brasil
Weakness is the area where Banco do Brasil can improve upon by building strategies. Below mentioned are the weaknesses of Banco do Brasil:
- Unstable History: Earlier between 1898-1987 the bank has been bankrupted several times and has redesigned itself as a normal bank. Such an unstable history of the bank can lift the trust of potential customers and existing customers from the bank.
- Centralized Decision Making: Every decision taken in the corporation has to be centrally approved by the government officials which lead to lesser efficiency in its operations and delays in work schedules.
- Cash Flow Problems: Cash is necessary for running day-to-day operations and emergencies. But, the problem occurs when there is a lack of financial planning involving cash flows. This can lead to unplanned borrowing and increasing costs.
- Need to Invest More in New Technologies: According to the country’s scale of expansion and the geographical areas, Banco do Brasil needs to invest more money in technology to integrate the processes across the board. Currently, the investment in technology is not on par as per the vision of the company.
- Dependent on Brazil & US: Banco do Brasil’s global presence is not up to the mark. The bank is dependent more on Brazil & the US. Also, the Banco do Brasil is now competing with other Brazilian banks in terms of several branches.
Opportunities for Banco do Brasil
Opportunities are external factors that allow an organisation to grow and be more profitable. Following are some opportunities for Banco do Brasil:
- Increasing Income: Increasing disposable income with the consumers leads to an increase in consumer spending. This can create demand for Banco do Brasil’s products and services.
- Demographics: The population is always growing and it always shows a positive rate in the coming future. It helps the companies to create new target markets for their products and services.
- Lower Interest Rates: Interest rates are getting lowered compared to previous years which allows considering expansion that involves finances with loans at a cheaper rate.
- Increased Globalization: Increasing globalization gives the option of entering new markets. It also reduces trade barriers and aids in increasing operations.
- Technological Advancement: Technology has boosted the economy in many ways. It helps in automating the processes to reduce cost. It brings numerous benefits to many departments. One major benefit of technology is better data collection and market research.
Threats to Banco do Brasil
Threats are the factors that usually no one has complete control over. Here we can only try to minimize them, including:
- New Entrants: There will always be newbies entering the market. Some may also come up with great solutions to existing problems, which lead to loss of the market share of existing companies.
- Competitor Technical Advancements: New technological advancements by a few competitors within the sector constitutes a threat to Banco do Brasil since customers who are drawn to this new technology may switch to competitors, reducing Banco do Brasil’s overall market share.
- Fluctuating Exchange Rates: When the business is operating in many nations, there is always a threat of fluctuating exchange rates. It impacts Banco do Brasil, as it has sales internationally, while the suppliers are always local.
- Increased Marketing Efforts: Due to the rise of digital marketing, there is an increasing number of promotional messages which are being sent by competitors. It clutters up the space, which leads to losing out on customers. Banco do Brasil is well versed and trying to adopt a variety of the latest digital marketing skills to get ahead of the competition. You must also check out these skills to achieve the same.
- Political Instability: There are always changing regulations in different nations. It exposes changes in trade regulations and requires compliance by the companies.
This ends our detailed SWOT analysis of Banco do Brasil. Let us conclude our learning below.
Banco do Brasil is growing in the sector of banking in Brazil, the United States, as well as the global market too. As we had a look at the SWOT Analysis of Banco do Brasil, there is a lot more to grow in many aspects.
With the emergence of the digital world, where almost every individual spends at least an hour of his/her time on phones, proper digital marketing, and online presence can be a great way to improve customer relations.
If you want to learn digital marketing or want to upskill yourself. Take a look at our 3 Months Advanced Digital Marketing course where you can learn everything about digital marketing in-depth just like this case study.
We hope this blog on the SWOT Analysis of Banco do Brasil has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. You can also read our comprehensive study on the SWOT Analysis of JP Morgan Chase.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Banco do Brasil, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Banco do Brasil in the comments section below.