Every time we come with some exciting and amazing case studies of companies and brands which you can find in our knowledge portal section at the top right corner.
Like last time we did the powerful SWOT analysis of Cairn India – One of the Largest Oil and Gas Exploration & Production Companies in India. This time we are back with a thoroughgoing SWOT analysis of PTT.
PTT Company is a fully integrated national petroleum and petrochemical company in Thailand. The company is engaged in vast sectors like petroleum exploration and production, natural gas, refining, oil marketing and international trading, petrochemicals businesses, and other related businesses.
PTT has a unique marketing strategy. Today every other company is using digital marketing, hence it has become a very important and essential skill to learn. You can check our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by Karan Shah, the founder and CEO of IIDE.
Before we begin further with the SWOT analysis of PTT, let us discuss the company, what products it has to offer, its financials and its competitors.
(Director & Chairman of PTT, Source: PTT)
PTT (Public Limited Company) is a state-owned integrated oil and gas, and petrochemical company limited. Also known as (Petroleum Authority of Thailand ), it owns extensive submarine gas pipelines in the Gulf of Thailand. It operates in oil and natural gas, coal, power, and infrastructure businesses. The company carries out oil and natural gas exploration and production; oil refining; procurement, processing, transmission, distribution and marketing of natural gas; petrochemical production; storage and distribution of petroleum products.
The company has interests in refineries, oil and gas terminals and gas separation plants. It also conducts oil marketing and international trading. It distributes and markets petroleum products through a network of service stations and commercial markets. PTT has its operations across Asia, the Middle East, Australia and Canada. The headquarter of PTT Company is in Bangkok, Thailand.
|No. of Employees
|THB 1.064 Million
|THB 1,737,145 Million
|Net Income/ Profit
|THB 94,609 Million
(PPT Plant Thailand, Source: Thunhoon)
Products of PTT
- Natural Gas
Competitors of PTT
- ADNOC Company Distribution
- Peoples Gas
- PetroChina Company Limited
- Eco Petrol
After understanding the core of the company, let us now proceed to the SWOT analysis of PTT.
SWOT Analysis of PTT
SWOT analysis is a proven management framework that enables a brand like PTT to benchmark its business and performance as compared to its competitors. PTT is one of the leading brands in the energy and power sector. SWOT analysis of PTT analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. The strengths and weaknesses are internal factors and opportunities and threats are external factors of the company.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of PTT, refer to the infographic below:
So let us first start by looking at the strengths of PTT from the SWOT analysis of PTT.
Strengths of PTT
Strengths mean the plus or positive factors of a company that strengthen the company’s position in the market.
- Strongest Player in its Industry: PTT is one of the most well known and largest Thai companies, with nearly 9 thousand employees and is the market leader in Thailand and this is a strong market position that enables it to fuel its incomes and profitability.
- Market Share: The group of petrochemicals is the largest in Thailand and it integrates from processing and distribution of assorted upstream, intermediate and polymer products, and this integration gives PTT its strong position in the market.
- Powerful History of Success: PTT is one of the biggest successes in Thailand and with a strong industry presence in the world.
- Government Support: PTT has strong support from the government which means flexibility to perform operations efficiently.
(PTT Solutions with Digital Transformation, Source: PTTEP)
You Must Know: PTT has its Innovation Institute in which PPT engrossed in R&D with a focus on reinforcing technological facets and enhancing researchers’ capability to become specialists in various fields, extension and development of digital know-how into digital transformation.
IIDE also offers courses in several aspects of digital marketing which you must check out. Each aspect of our training is covered by subject area experts and digital enthusiasts. Their knowledge and expertise are instrumental in moulding many of our students into skilled professionals of today & tomorrow.
Weaknesses of PTT
Weaknesses mean the negative or we can say weak points of a company which may result in big losses.
- Economical & Political Disadvantages: The disadvantage of PTT company is they concentrate on its assets placed in Thailand against the global players because it heavily exposes the company to the economic risk of Thailand and it also has a big disadvantage to political risk.
- Disruption in the Nation: Any disruption in the nation can negatively harm the peace and will badly impact the supply chain.
- Global Markets: PTT takes a lack of pressure if any of the developed or developing global markets has more chances of revenue growth and profit as compared to PTT competitors who are currently globally accepted.
Opportunities for PTT
Opportunities are chances to achieve some goals and PTT is ready to accept the opportunity and adapt to new things so let’s study them one by one
- Overseas Expansion: PTT has been expanding worldwide one of them is the overseas coal business, which will surely enhance its coal-related technical expertise and will expand its coal asset base strongly.
- Competitive Edge in Power Business: PTT has vastly expanded its power business by joining and investing in its power business which enhances its competitive edge and helps secure and maintains stability in the supply of energy to Thailand in the long run.
- Worldwide Presence: PTT has several strategic initiatives, acquisitions, operating efficiency and profitability that can lead to tremendous increase and its geographical presence would be expanded worldwide.
Threats to PTT
Threats are fear factors of the company or we can say the possibility or danger to the company.
- Environmental Laws: The main threat of PTT company is stringent environmental law which leads to revenue losses.
- Price Fluctuations of Raw Material: The other threat is the fluctuations in prices of raw materials used by PTT companies which affect the profit margin of the company.
- Unseen Events: The hazardous exploration and production of oil-based products can damage property and also loss of lives.
- After Consequences of Damage: Due to the loss of lives and damage of property, it can lead to prolonged closing down of the company and huge loss of revenue.
This ends our thoroughgoing SWOT analysis of PTT. Let us conclude our learning below.
PTT has a wide scope in the future and there is a never-ending demand for energy resources. This is a very strong point of the company and also the company has the strong support of the Government and political parties. SWOT analysis is a framework of every company as this company also has some weaknesses and threats but it can overcome all the risks with smart management.
The importance of digital media has grown exponentially over the past few decades. Businesses are very careful about their marketing, advertising, and social media presence. If you are a marketing enthusiast the most important thing right now is to understand digital marketing. Check out IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course if you want to learn more and improve your skills.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of PTT has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of PTT, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of PTT in the comments section below.