In our previous blog, we saw the SWOT Analysis of one of the world’s largest technology businesses, Xiaomi. In this blog, we will be looking into the SWOT Analysis of Oppo in detail.
Oppo is the 4th largest brand in the world with a market share of 10.8%. It has been in the market for almost 2 decades now and has been giving some of the finest products to its customers.
Since 2004 it has expanded in 50 countries all over the world and to cater to such a large audience it uses some of the best digital marketing techniques in its field as most of the customers are on digital platforms. So if you are interested in learning the latest skills in digital marketing – check out our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Thus this makes us keen to know how Oppo found success in its field, we have given a detailed study on the topic SWOT Analysis of Oppo. But before we dive into SWOT analysis let us get a brief idea about Oppo as a company, its products, competitors, financials, and more.
The brand Oppo was first registered in 2001 in China and launched in 2004. It was founded by Tony Chen and is headquartered in Dongguan, Guangdong, China. Since then, they have expanded worldwide to 50 countries with a user base of over 300 million.
Oppo started its international journey in 2009 in Thailand. According to IDC (2017), the brand’s market share was second within the Thai smartphone market.
In June 2016, Oppo became the prime smartphone producer in China, selling its phones in around 200,000 shops. In 2019 Oppo was the best smartphone brand in China and was ranked No. 5, in market share, worldwide.
It has a market share of about 10.8% in the world as of 2020 and has made an annual revenue of about $137.7 Million.
Quick Stats about Oppo
|Origin||Dongguan, Guangdong, China|
|No. of Employees||40,000|
|Market Cap||$214 Million (2020)|
|Annual Revenue||$137.7 Million (2020)|
|Net Profit||$29.4 Million (2020)|
Products of Oppo
Oppo has such an extended reach in the market it also provides different products in the market. Following are the products provided by Oppo:
- Audio Devices
Close Competitors of Oppo
Oppo has a large presence in the market all over the world thus it has many competitors in the market. Some of its competitors are as follows:
Now that we know about the company let us learn about the SWOT Analysis of Oppo.
SWOT Analysis of Oppo
SWOT Analysis describes a companies Strengths & Weaknesses, the internal conditions of the company, and Opportunities & Threats, the external conditions of the company. SWOT Analysis helps the decision-makers of the firm to plan a strategy by following the internal and external factors of the firm.
Read the subsequent SWOT Analysis of Oppo to seek out what are the varied factors that outline the success of the firm and the factors that might be a change-maker for the company in the future.
Strengths of Oppo
Strengths help the business in understanding where it beats the competition and has a competitive advantage within the market. Strengths are generally the internal features of the business.
- New and enhanced products – Oppo phones come with innovative features and it was the first brand to launch first-ever rotating phone cameras and many other features which weren’t launched by any other companies.
- Brand Building – Oppo phones have collaborated with big celebrities and made them ambassadors to plug the merchandise better and position the phones within the minds of the customer.
- Rapid Market Capture – Oppo has made its name and position in the market within a short period of time due to its exciting features offered to its customers.
- Price Point – It has made its phones available at affordable prices which is another factor that made Oppo phones readily accepted by the consumers within the market.
- Product Line – Oppo provides its customers with a wide range of products like Blu-ray devices and headphones.
Weaknesses of Oppo
Weaknesses are the pain area of the organization where it doesn’t have the resources or skills. The business has got to work upon these areas so that they’re not left behind from the competition. Following are some of its weaknesses:
- User Interface – The interface isn’t made keeping in mind the usage from the non-tech-savvy consumers. It creates a problem for new Oppo users.
- Lack of After-Sales Support – One of the main disadvantages of buying the Oppo series is that the after-sales support extended by the brand is not satisfactory. After-sales service built trust with the brand but Oppo has failed to provide good support to the customers which inhibits its growth in the market as customers cannot trust the brand.
- Quality is Poor – The standard provided by the Oppo phones at the worth they put is inferior and hence the tradeoff is seen within the price.
Opportunities for Oppo
Opportunities help in understanding what other things a business can do with the present skills and resources. It helps the business to understand the areas where it can expand and take a lead to diversify the business and expand the customer base.
- Brand Association – Oppo can attempt to accompany events to plug into wider and different segments of customers which will help to reinforce the customer base.
- Flagship Products – Oppo should launch newer phones which are capable of competing with other big market players like Samsung and Apple which will help to extend the visibility of the brand in the market.
Threats for Oppo
Threats analysis helps in understanding what are the areas which may impact the business in the future. So business has to gear themselves up to handle the threats within the market landscape. Following are some of the threats for Oppo:
- Competition – The mobile phone market is intensively growing and it is getting price competitive which makes it very troublesome to survive in the industry. Some of the top rivals of Oppo are Realme, Apple, Samsung, Vivo, etc.
- Low Barriers to Entry – The profitability of the mobile phone market attracts new players in the market which eats away the market share further from the cell phone manufacturers.
With this, we have completed the SWOT Analysis of Oppo. these studies help the company in decision-making and planning a strategy.
We can conclude that Oppo is one of the largest brands in the world by market share. It has maintained a good brand value among its target audience with the help of pricing and product line. It can capture larger markets by developing flagship devices in the market. Still, there are some drawbacks for Oppo that hold it back.
Their user interface isn’t appealing to new users of the brand and the low barriers to entry into the market create a negative impact on the company. It can implement better digital marketing strategies to create more brand awareness and increase its brand value so that even in tough competition it can stay firm as most people use social media nowadays. If you are interested in learning more and upskilling, check out IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course to know more.
If you would like to know such detailed analysis of companies, find more such insightful case studies on our IIDE Knowledge portal.
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog, and do share your thoughts on this case study in the comments section below.