Previously we studied the SWOT Analysis of Vedanta Resources which is the largest mining and non-ferrous metals company in India. Let’s study the in-depth SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers.
The objective of this blog is to make you understand the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of Kirloskar Brothers which is the world’s leading pump manufacturing company involved in engineering and manufacture of systems for fluid management.
Don’t we know that the most integral part of an organization is marketing? As the world is growing as per globalization and going online working from home, marketing is a field that can be done from anywhere in the world. Interested in knowing-do check out our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 conducted by the CEO & Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Before we begin further with the SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers, let us discuss the company, what products it has to offer, its financials and its competitors.
About Kirloskar Brothers,
Kirloskar Brothers Limited was established in 1888 and incorporated in 1920 as a flagship company of the Kirloskar Group. Kirloskar Brothers are the market leader in fluid management, KBL provides fluid management solutions for large infrastructure projects in the areas of water supply, power plants, irrigation, oil & gas and marine & defence.
The company engineers and manufactures industrial & petrochemical, agriculture & domestic pumps, valves and hydro turbines. Kirloskar Brothers Limited headquarters are located in Pune, Maharashtra. Kirloskar Brothers are meeting the pumping demand of every industry. It expands its presence internationally. It also owns a wholly-owned subsidiary in Thailand.
|No. of Employees||6000+|
|Market Cap||Rs 2,077.73 Crore (2022)|
|Annual Revenue||Rs 2,201.60 Crore (2021)|
|Net Income/ Profit||Rs 477.42 Crore (2021)|
Products by Kirloskar Brothers
They manufacture and sell a diverse range of wires and cables and their key products in the wires and cables segment are:
Competitors of Kirloskar Brothers
The world is a competitive place so even Kirloskar Brothers have its competitors as follows:
- DAB Pumps
- ITT Goulds Pumps
- GR Gorman-Rupp
Now that we know everything we need to know about Kirloskar Brothers, let’s start with the SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers.
SWOT Analysis Of Kirloskar Brothers
SWOT analysis is like a formula for identifying Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) that a market possesses for a company. The main objective of this analysis is to help us, as investors and the company, to make business decisions wisely.
By using this method, we analyze where the company is falling short, where it is excelling, and what needs to be worked upon.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers, refer to the infographic below:
So let us first start by looking at the strengths of Kirloskar Brothers from the SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers
Strengths of Kirloskar Brothers
The strengths of a firm can be positive qualities that help the company to maintain goodwill in the market or give it a competitive advantage. Mentioned below are some of Kirloskar Brothers’ strengths:
- Strong Free Cash Flow: There is a strong free cash flow that puts resources into the hands of the company to expand into new projects.
- Good ROI: It is relatively successful in new projects and provides a high return on capital expenditures through the creation of new revenue streams.
- Strong Brand Portfolio: Over the years Kirloskar Brothers has invested in building a strong brand portfolio. This brand portfolio can be very useful if an organization wants to expand into new product categories.
- Outstanding Performance in New Markets: Kirloskar Brothers has accumulated experience to enter new markets and achieve success. The expansion has helped organizations create new revenue streams and diversify business cycle risks in the markets in which they operate.
- Highly Skilled Labor: Highly skilled workforce through successful education and training programs. By investing enormous resources in the training and development of Kirloskar Brothers employees, they not only create highly qualified employees but also motivate them to achieve more.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: A track record of successfully integrating additional companies through mergers and acquisitions. Over the past few years, he has successfully integrated several technology companies to optimize operations and establish a stable supply chain.
Weaknesses of Kirloskar Brothers
Strategy is all about choices and weaknesses are areas where companies can improve through SWOT analysis and leverage their competitive advantage and strategic positioning.
- More Investment is Needed in New Technologies: Given the scale of the expansion and the multiple geographic regions in which the company will expand, Kirloskar Brothers’ overall integrating processes requires more money to be invested in technology. Current investments in technology are not aligned with the company’s vision.
- Financial Planning is Not Being Performed Properly and Efficiently: The liquid asset ratio and liquidity ratio indicate that a company can use its cash more efficiently than it currently is.
- High Labour Outflow: Higher dropout rates compared to other organizations in the industry, Kirloskar Brothers, and have to spend significantly more on employee training and development than their competitors.
- Not Very Successful in Integrating Companies with Different Work Cultures: As mentioned earlier, Kirloskar Brothers is successful at integrating small companies. It has its share of failures to merge firms that have different work cultures.
- High Competition: The daily stock is high compared to its competitors, so the company has to raise more capital to invest in the channel. This could affect the long-term growth of Kirloskar Brothers.
- Product Marketing: Although the product is successful in terms of sales, its positioning and unique selling proposition are not clearly defined, making it vulnerable to attack from competitors in this sector.
Opportunities for Kirloskar Brothers
Opportunities are potential areas for companies to focus on to improve results, increase sales, and ultimately profit.
- New Environmental Policy: New opportunities will create a level playing field for everyone in the industry. This is a great opportunity for Kirloskar Brothers, Inc. to realize the benefits of new technologies and gain market share in new product categories.
- New Taxation Policy: New tax policies can have a significant impact on the way Kirloskar Brothers does business and open up new opportunities for them to increase its profitability.
- Open New Markets Through Government Agreements: New technology standards and government free trade agreements provided to Kirloskar Brothers open up opportunities for Kirloskar Brothers to enter newly developed markets.
- New Customers Through Online Channels: The company has invested huge amounts of money in its online platform over the past few years. This investment opened up a new sales channel for Kirloskar Brothers. Over the next few years, companies will be able to seize this opportunity by better understanding their customers and meeting their needs through big data analytics.
- Economic Recovery: Economic recovery and rising consumer spending after years of recession and slow industrial growth are opportunities for Kirloskar Brothers to attract new customers and increase market share.
Threats to Kirloskar Brothers
Threats are environmental factors that can harm a company’s development. Here are some of the Kirloskar Brothers’ threats:
- Legal Actions: The Company may face legal action in other markets given the continuing fluctuations in different laws and product standards in those markets.
- Fierce Competition: Strong profitability has increased the number of players in the industry over the past two years, putting downward pressure on overall revenue as well as profitability.
- Liability Laws: Vary from country to country Kirloskar Brothers may face a variety of liability claims as a result of these market policy changes.
- Quantitative Increases in Commodities: This could jeopardize Kirloskar Brothers’s profitability. A shortage of skilled labour in certain global markets threatens Kirloskar Brothers’s continued earnings growth in the market.
- Operates Globally: Because the company operates in many countries, it is exposed to currency fluctuations, especially given the unstable political environment in many markets around the world. This may face some challenges in the market and may result in some losses as well.
This ends our elaborative SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers. Let us conclude our learning below.
Kirloskar Brothers is a well-known pump manufacturing company with significant global positions. During the SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers, we found that the company is highly dependent and enjoys strong brand awareness and trust from its customers. It has a solid logistic base and covers all markets it serves, but suffers from more active research and development from an increasing number of manufacturers and competitors in the same space.
But being such a huge brand across multiple countries, Kirloskar Brothers should continue to innovate and develop more products and launch them in the market with the best possible marketing strategies.
Especially digital marketing which is vital in today’s growing and expanding world, to get better results and to remain competitive in the market. If you don’t have any idea of what digital marketing is or want to learn more about it and upgrade yourself, here is IIDE’s 4 Month Advanced Digital Marketing Course to know more.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Kirloskar Brothers in the comments section below.