In our previous blog, we did a comprehensive SWOT Analysis of OCBC Bank – A Multinational Banking & Financial Services Corporation. This time, we’ll go through the SWOT analysis of Daiwa House – Japan’s largest construction and real estate service provider.
Japan’s leading homebuilder and specialist in prefabricated houses are Daiwa House Industry Limited. The company is engaged in the construction of factories, shopping centres, health care facilities, the management and operation of resort hotels, golf courses and fitness clubs.
Another factor that made Daiwa House the giant it is now in its marketing efforts. As the world goes digital, marketing is revising and if you are curious to know about the latest marketing trends – check out our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Let’s now take a look at the reason behind the success of Daiwa House. In this blog, we will cover the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats surrounding Daiwa House. Before we start, let us begin by learning about the company, its history, products, services and financial success.
About Daiwa House,
Daiwa House Industry Co Ltd. has now become a household name in Japan as a home building company that specializes in prefabricated houses. Not just homebuilding but it has brought diversity to its portfolio by engaging in constructing factories, shopping centres, health care facilities, the management and operation of resort hotels, golf courses, and fitness clubs. Adding one more feather to the cap, it also operates as a sales agency for HAL robots suits.
Moreover, Daiwa House is also one of Japan’s largest owners and operators of freight logistics centres, with over 250 logistics properties under management, and further expansion has been planned in this business segment. The company was founded in 1955 in Osaka and is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange and Osaka Securities Exchange, being a constituent of the TOPIX and Nikkei 225 stock.
The first product that it launched was THE PIPE HOUSE. In September 1950, almost 20,000 houses were destroyed by a powerful typhoon that hit the Kansai area. Their founder Nobuo Ishibashi noticed that the rice plants in the paddies and the bamboo in the bamboo forests had not broken in the face of gale-force winds. Thus, he thought that rice plants and bamboo are cylindrical and hollow. He realized an opportunity to make a strong and safe house using steel pipes. Thus, our first product, the Pipe House, which gained its idea from rice plants and bamboo, came into being.
|No. of Employees||48,800+|
|Market Cap||$15.70 Billion (2022)|
|Annual Revenue||$37.371 Billion (2019)|
|Net Income/ Profit||$705.042 Million (2017)|
Products & Services by Daiwa House
Daiwa House has been in the property development business for many years and offers:
- Property development
- General contracting for construction
- Engineering design
- Residential real estate marketer
Competitors of Daiwa House
Daiwa House competes on an international level with many other companies that deal in real estate. The top 4 competitors of Daiwa House are
- Sekisui House
- Sun Communities
- Ares Commercial Real Estate
As now we have a better understanding of Daiwa House, let’s look into the SWOT Analysis of Daiwa House.
SWOT Analysis of Daiwa House
A SWOT analysis identifies a company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. A proven and true management paradigm that allows Daiwa House to compare its business and performance with competitors and the industry as a whole.
So let us go ahead and first have a glance at the strengths of Daiwa House from the SWOT analysis of Daiwa House.
Strengths of Daiwa House
Your organisation’s strength is something that makes it stand out from the rest. It can be a competitive advantage that sets it apart from its competitors. Some of the strengths of Daiwa House are as follows –
- Leading Market Position: Daiwa Households a leading market position in Japan owing to the high quality and diversified real estate products or services. Since its inception, the growth enabled the company to create new revenue streams and diversify its economic cycle.
- Good Capital Expenditure Returns: Daiwa House has an amazing track record of completing new projects within the deadline and generating good returns on capital expenditure by establishing new revenue sources.
- Customer Satisfaction is Just High: Daiwa House has been able to achieve high customer satisfaction among current customers by providing high-quality services. The company has also built strong brand equity among potential customers due to its dedicated customer relationship management department.
- Highly Qualified Workforce: The company provides thorough training, skill development, and learning opportunities to all its employees. Human resources are a major factor in the success of Daiwa House in the construction sector.
- Track Record of Innovation: Daiwa House Japan has a successful record of consumer-driven and customer-centric innovation. They always deliver innovative real-estate infrastructure.
- Catering to Different Customer Segments: Daiwa House Japan has an extensive set of products accommodating different segments of customers in the construction service department. This has helped the company to diversify its revenue streams.
Weaknesses of Daiwa House
Strategy is all about choices and weaknesses are areas where companies can improve through SWOT analysis and leverage their competitive advantage and strategic positioning.
- Lack of Digital Presence: In today’s day and age brands need to establish their presence on social media and the web. This way consumers can remain up to date with the upcoming projects.
- Gross Margins: The gross and operating margins, if not improved, could put pressure on the financial statement of the company.
- Declining Market Share: The construction service industry is growing at a fast pace, hence Daiwa House Japan needs to keep up with the market trends to drive future growth.
- High Cost of Replacing Existing Experts: Very few experienced employees are responsible for the growth of Daiwa House Japan. Replacing them and finding the right fit for the company is a tedious task.
- The Added Cost of New Supply Chain Network & Logistics: Technology and artificial intelligence have drastically altered old business models in the Capital Goods industry. This has led to a decrease in the dealer network of Daiwa House Japan. Building a robust supply chain network can be very expensive for the company.
Opportunities for Daiwa House
Opportunities are potential areas for companies to focus on to improve results, increase sales, and ultimately profit.
- Increasing Government Regulations: Regulations make it difficult for unorganised players to operate in the property development segment. This can be a huge advantage for Daiwa House Japan to increase its customer base.
- Low Inflation Rates: Low inflation rate means more stability in the market. This enables Daiwa House Japan customers to get credit at a lower interest rate leading to an increase in the consumption of Daiwa House Japan products.
- Hiring Digital Marketers: The pandemic moved all businesses online. Having an online presence can boost the company’s relationship with its customers. Want to know how Daiwa House can boost its growth with social media? Then you must check out the benefits of social media marketing to answer your query.
- Technological Advancements: Advancements in technology are improving industrial productivity. If utilised wisely then tech can enable the company to maintain existing clients and lure in potential clients by providing them high-class services. Using technology can increase productivity and decrease extra costs.
- Customers Migrating to Higher End Products: Daiwa House Japan has strong brand recognition for their premium property development services segment. In the lower segment, customers have experience with excellent customer service. This represents a great opportunity for the company to increase its profitability in the market.
Threats to Daiwa House
Threats are environmental factors that can harm a company’s development. Here are some of Daiwa House’s threats:
- Upcoming Competition: Daiwa House Japan is a leader in product innovation in property development services, but it is still facing challenges and stiff competition from local as well as international competitors.
- Distrust in Government Institutions: There is always a threat of losing the IPR to the local competitors as the Intellectual Property Rights framework is not very strong in emerging markets, especially in Japan.
- Changing Demographics: The new generation is tech-savvy and is less brand loyal and more open to experimentation. This can lead to a reduction in margins in the long run.
- Commoditization of Products: There has been an increase in the commodification of the capital goods industry which is a major challenge for Daiwa House Japan and other players in the industry.
- Changing Political Environment: With Brexit’s impacts on the European Union, the US-China trade war and the overall instability in the East can give a major blow to Daiwa House Japan, both in the rural and international markets.
This ends our elaborative SWOT analysis of Daiwa House. Let us conclude our learning below.
Daiwa House is a well-known real estate company with significant global positions. During the SWOT analysis of Daiwa House, we found that the company is highly dependent and enjoys strong brand awareness and trust from its customers. It has a solid logistic base and covers all markets it serves, but suffers from more active research and development from an increasing number of manufacturers and competitors in the same space.
But being such a huge brand across multiple countries, Daiwa House should continue to innovate and develop more products and launch them in the market with the best possible marketing strategies.
Especially digital marketing which is vital in today’s growing and expanding world, to get better results and to remain competitive in the market. If you don’t have any idea of what digital marketing is or want to learn more about it and upgrade yourself, here is an Online Digital Marketing Course to know more.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Daiwa House has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Daiwa House, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Daiwa House in the comments section below.