Earlier we did the SWOT analysis of Alibaba China’s largest global e-commerce platform. Now wondering what made China’s Baidu so successful? In this article, we’ll understand the SWOT Analysis of Baidu with infographics and decode the answer.
Just like Google all over the world, Baidu is China’s very own search engine founded by Robin Li. It is headquartered in Beijing and has origins in RankDex. Baidu’s marketplace facilitates Baidu search engine & Baidu maps & it is currently the third-largest search engine in the world.
As the world is bringing all their businesses online, websites like Baidu have a great scope where the community can get served from Baidu’s 57 search and community services. Baidu has built a strong brand over the internet.
As digital marketing is an integral part of carrying out business online, it is so important for your business to have an online presence. If you are someone who would want to learn more about it, check out our free Masterclass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Do you want to learn about how Baidu became so successful in China? In this blog, we will understand the SWOT Analysis of Baidu and will find out the answer. But, before we go into the SWOT Analysis of Baidu, let’s have a look at the company, its history, financial situation, products, and rivals.
(Robin Li – The Founder of Baidu, Source: TheNextWeb)
Baidu means ‘hundred times’ in Chinese. A Chinese multinational technology company Baidu specializes in Internet-related services, products and artificial intelligence (AI), is headquartered in the Haidian District of Beijing.
Baidu was founded by Robin Li and Eric Xu and was incorporated on January 18, 2000. In 2001, Baidu permitted advertisers to bid for their ad space and then pay Baidu every time a customer clicked on an ad, taking Google’s strategy to advertise.
Eventually, after 2003, Baidu evolved to launch a news search engine and picture search engine, adopting a unique identification technology qualified to provide community services such as an online encyclopedia for identifying and grouping the articles, a cloud storage service and a keyword-based discussion forum. Today, Baidu held the Chinese search engine market above 85% and it is increasing exponentially.
|Founder||Robin Li and Eric Xu|
|No. of Employees||41,000|
|Market Cap||$55.74 Billion (2021)|
|Annual Revenue||CN¥107.07 Billion (2020)|
|Net Income/ Profit||CN¥22.47 Billion (2020)|
Products of Baidu
Baidu has a range of consumer features including
- Search Engine
- Cloud Storage
- Discussion Forum
Competitors of Baidu
Baidu is a technology-based company specializing in Internet-related services and products. Baidu’s top competitors include
As now we have a better understanding of Baidu, let’s look into the SWOT Analysis of Baidu.
SWOT Analysis of Baidu
SWOT analysis of Baidu analyses the brand’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. SWOT Analysis is a framework that enables a brand like Baidu to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. It’s an amazing tool to determine where the company excels, where it falls short, develop countermeasures, and determine how the company will be able to grow.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of Baidu, refer to the infographics image below.
From the SWOT analysis of Baidu, let us first begin by understanding the strengths of Baidu.
Strengths of Baidu
- Big data, AI, and Empowerment: Baidu’s strengths include data, the technological capability to efficiently analyze it, and the desire to empower society with these resources. The next level of empowerment is personalization, which is achieved through the use of data and AI.
- A Track Record of Successful Market Entry: Baidu has a proven track record of not only releasing new services in the home market but also catering to a variety of markets based on user insights. Baidu has developed one of the world’s most unique and resilient ecosystems by connecting these disparate services under a shared membership and reward program.
- Strong Brand Portfolio: Over the years Baidu has invested in building a strong brand portfolio which is why Baidu today holds more than 85% market share of China and it makes it difficult for competitors to beat it easily.
- Visionary Leader: Robin Li & Eric Xu has brought massive success to this company with the help of the vision they set at the start of building this company which was to launch a primary advertising platform similar to Google Ads and AdSense where advertisers are allowed to have their ads displayed in Baidu search results pages and on other web pages that are element of Baidu Union.
A Key Tip: If you want to promote your business on Google then you must learn the fundamentals and best practices of Google Ads from our Online Google Ads Course which will help you comprehend the core concepts of Google Ads and slowly progresses to cover ready-to-implement techniques and tactics that help in actively advertising your brand’s products and services. Also, the certificate issued after the completion of the course will showcase that you are a Google Ads specialist which will ultimately enable you to explore enormous job opportunities and achieve career growth.
- Strong Innovation: Baidu’s growth strategy is built on a foundation of strong innovation. Baidu’s go-to-market strategy, which is based on innovation, provides efficiency in its entry. Baidu typically gains a competitive edge through developing innovations that reduce the company’s expenses, allowing it to undercut its competitors.
Weaknesses of Baidu
- Restricted Brand: Baidu has a protracted record of standing as the most active and restrictive online censor in the search arena. For example, Baidu along with other Chinese websites are restricted or blocked in India for federal safety reasons. Such restrictions directly question the quality of security of Baidu.
- Limiting Its Global Market Reach: It started great at the beginning but as Baidu doesn’t have an English version of its search engine platform, it is limiting its expansion in the global market & lacking to create an online presence in international markets.
- Technology Integration in Processes: Even though Baidu has integrated technology into its backend procedures, it has yet to harness the power of technology in its front-end operations.
- Brand Recall Beyond China: Another weakness that is from the search industry is the absence of brand remembrance beyond China. Only a few people outside China have even heard the name Baidu. Baidu requires it to perform on this and start publicising outside because it cannot stay a China limited brand.
Opportunities for Baidu
- New Environmental Policy: New opportunities will create a level playing field for everyone in the industry. This is a great opportunity for Baidu, Inc. to realize the benefits of new technologies and gain market share in new product categories.
- The Rapid Growth of China’s B2C Market: Baidu’s B2C has seen 60% growth over the first half-year of 2013, twice as much as B2B. It’s cost-effective for new businesses to start advertising their products because of Baidu’s ready-to-use platform. The increasing demand for online ads and pay per click advertising helps and contributes to the success of Baidu.
- Expansion of the Business: Baidu has the potential of growing its business, increase sales, and bring in foreign currency by making its website in English. Having international players advertising on Baidu’s platform will ultimately help Baidu to generate revenues primarily from online marketing services.
- IT Infrastructure: Its current IT infrastructure is powerful and this can be utilised to extend its services in China. With outstanding servers and IT techniques in business, it is unbeatable by other competitors where web search is concerned.
- Global Demand for E-commerce & Social Media: Due to the Covid-pandemic, there was an increase in the use of global e-commerce & social media. Baidu used this pandemic to its advantage to capture the markets by launching a Chinese version of the international social network. If you are interested in the field, check out our social media marketing course to get started.
Threats to Baidu
- Fierce Competition: Strong profitability has increased the number of players in the industry over the past two years, putting downward pressure on overall revenue as well as profitability.
- Less Sustainability of Business: As globalization is taking place, it will make Baidu across the nation’s borders and deal with cultural diversity. Lack of cultural knowledge will impact the business as it is not profitable to just operate within the nation.
- Alternative Search Engine Platforms: New emerging competitors in Asia are following behind Baidu, its position is in danger. As the website is only restricted to Chinese people, other platforms such as Google can have this as an advantage.
- Regulations and Bureaucracy in the Government: Baidu should keep a close check on fast-changing government policies, particularly in the areas of environmental and labour safety, as it faces rising pressure from protest groups and non-governmental organisations.
- The Pace of Innovation: The pace at which technology businesses are innovating has to be matched by Baidu if it has to remain appropriate in the industry. Businesses like Google hold considerably more funds than Baidu and therefore their pace and scope of innovation is much more than that of Baidu’s.
This ends our detailed SWOT analysis of Baidu. Let us conclude our learnings below.
Baidu has established a strong stance in the search engine market with its large scale of operations, innovative ideas, distributions strategies and strong market share. Even though their main market force is in China, they still are preferred by many all around the world. China being the second most populated country is alone their major source of income.
With a strong digital marketing presence, Baidu can reach various countries while benefiting from the cost-effectiveness of digital marketing through multiple channels like SEO, emailing, content marketing, and social media marketing.
In today’s digital era every company needs to have a great online presence and innovatively market its products and services just as Baidu is doing. If you are someone who would like to learn interesting digital marketing skills, check out IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course and register today!
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Baidu has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Baidu, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Baidu in the comments section below.