In our previous blog, we did a dynamic SWOT Analysis of the world’s largest telecommunications company, AT&T. Here we will be doing an End-to-End SWOT Analysis of Telenor.
Telenor is Nordic’s leading telecommunication company, by turnover. It is also one of the world’s leading telecommunication companies, by market capitalization.
It has gained such large success in its field with the use of fine marketing techniques. As most people are shifting towards digital media it is easier for companies to market their products to their potential customers. Thus it is very essential for every business to grow its digital presence. If you are curious about learning what digital marketing is and how to use it to your advantage – check out our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Thus this makes us keen to know how Telenor maintains a prominent position in the market. To understand that we have given an End-to-End SWOT Analysis of Telenor. But before we start with its SWOT Analysis let us learn about Telenor as a Company, its services, competitors, financials, and more.
Telenor is a Norwegian multinational telecommunications company. It has its headquarters situated in Fornebu, Norway. It comes under the world’s largest mobile telecommunication company which has its market in 8 countries worldwide and has 188 million subscribers from around the globe.
Telenor was founded in the year 1855 that is 166 years ago. It started by providing telegraph services but now has extensive broadband and TV distributions operations, mobile and telephone services, internet access, etc.
Telenor functions in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Pakistan, Thailand, Malaysia, Bangladesh. It also had its market in various other countries like India, Myanmar, Germany, etc.
It has a market capitalization of about $23.52 billion as of 2020 and had a revenue of about $2.2 billion in the same year. It earned a net profit of $2.9 billion in the year 2020.
|No. of Employees||18,000 (2020)|
|Market Cap||$23.52 Billion (2020)|
|Annual Revenue||$2.2 Billion (2020)|
|Net Loss||$2.9 Billion (2020)|
Services of Telenor
Telenor is one of the largest companies in Nordic thus it provides its customers with some of the best services in the market. Some of the services that Telenor offers are as follows:
- Fixed-line and mobile telephony
- digital television
- IT services
Close Competitors of Telenor
Telenor is one of the largest companies and has to face large competition from many companies in the market. Some of the competitors that Telenor has to face are as follows:
- AT&T Inc.
- Verizon Communications Inc.
- Nippon Telegraph & Telephone Corp.
- Deutsche Telekom AG
- Telefonica SA
- Vodafone Idea Ltd.
- Reliance Jio
- Bharti Airtel Limited
Now that we have known about the company let us start with the SWOT Analysis of Telenor.
SWOT Analysis of Telenor
SWOT Analysis tells you about the overall condition of the company by studying its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. It is popularly used by almost everyone while examining or studying any type of company.
SWOT analysis allows you to do internal analysis as well as external analysis of the company. By doing SWOT Analysis, you can know where the company’s strengths lie, what are some weaknesses that it needs to overcome to grow further, and more such factors.
Let’s start with its SWOT Analysis by first looking at the Strengths of Telenor.
Strengths of Telenor
Given below are the strengths of Telenor that give it the edge over its competitors and make it as successful as it is today.
- Worldwide operation – Telenor is originally a Norwegian telecommunication company that started its operation by services like the telegraph, telephone, etc in Norway but soon became known in several other countries like Pakistan, Thailand, Bangladesh, and many more. From 1994, it started its operation in other countries.
- Supports Human rights and Equality – The company’s human rights principles are based on the International Bills of Human Rights and it also follows the principles of the International Labour Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work.
- Provides various services – Telenor mainly provides telecommunication services like internet access, mobile networking, telephone, connectivity in maritime business, broadcasting and TV operation, etc. Aside from these services, these are the services that are also provided by Telenor.
- Telenor’s experience – Telenor was founded 166 years back, it has a long history and a lot of experience throughout this time. It has used its experience to provide its customers with some of the best services.
Weaknesses of Telenor
These are some weak points of Telenor that can be solved or improved by Telenor to gain more success in the market.
- Youtube Engagement – The company provides services such as internet access, etc but when it comes to handling and engaging on its social media like youtube, it is lacking in some ways. As it can be seen in the image above, there are less than 3k subscribers on its official youtube channel, also the number of views and comments are very less as compared to its competitors.
- Network issues in rural areas – Telenor alone does not have this problem, as there is a lot of traffic while surfing on the internet, it might not work properly sometimes, but when it happens very often or when it happens when you are in a rural region and can’t get your work done because of the bad network in those areas then it is a problem that needs to be fixed.
- Lack of social media presence – In today’s time, where almost every individual uses social media, companies are focusing more on digital marketing and its online presence. Telenor also needs to focus more on promoting itself on famous social media sites like Instagram, Twitter, etc.
People spend quite a lot of their time surfing on social media, that’s why Telenor must also display itself on these sites to make people aware of its new activities and products.
Opportunities For Telenor
Opportunities are the factors that help Telenor to grow in the market. Thus it needs to keep an eye for such opportunities and make them their strengths. Following are some of the opportunities for Telenor:
- Better Advertising – Advertising is one of the essential factors in any kind of business. Even if the advertisement turns out to be less successful, it creates awareness in the market about the company. Telenor has a lot of room to improve its marketing and advertising game. The most important method that Telenor is missing while marketing is promoting in the online world. There are a lot of platforms and ways of advertising online, Telenor can use them to create awareness and engagement.
- Specific requirements – Telenor should focus more on the specific requirements of customers. This will help it to resonance in international markets
- Government agreement – due to the adoption of new technological standards and government free trade agreement it has provided Telenor an opportunity to enter a new emerging market.
Threats to Telenor
Threats are the factors that create a problem for the growth of the business. Telenor has to be aware of such threats and take proper precautions for such events. Following are some of the threats to Telenor:
- Global Competition – Telenor had tried growing its customer base in many countries including India but failed to leave an impression and had to sell or close those branches. There is a lot of competition in this industry, Telenor has to adapt and keep itself updated to compete. The main competition factor is pricing and quality. Telenor has to adjust its pricing and also improve its network and connectivity issues to keep up with its global competitors like Vodafone, Airtel, etc.
- Political or Economical Differences – Often, companies operating in various countries have problems adjusting and adapting to the present and ongoing economical and political scenarios of all those countries. Telenor has to be more careful while operating in different countries, as it is providing very essential and technological services. It has to adjust and update its pricing and other factors of the company according to the respective country’s political and economical situations.
SWOT Analysis of Telenor helps the company to get a wide view of its business and helps it to analyze where it needs to improve.
On the study of the SWOT Analysis of Telenor, we have seen that it is the largest telecommunication company in Nordic. It has a large presence all over the world with experience of over 100 years. It can grow its business with the help of better advertising in the market. Even with such advantages in the market, it faces some flaws.
It has a lack of youtube engagement and social presence in the market than its competitors. It also faces large competition in the global market. These factors can be eliminated with the use of advanced digital marketing techniques. This will help the company to grow in the market with the use of better advertisements. As most people are using digital platforms digital marketing is essential for every business. If you are interested in learning and upskilling, check out IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course to know more.
If you would like to read such detailed analyses of companies, find more such insightful case studies on our IIDE Knowledge portal.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study in the comments section below.