Last time we discussed the SWOT analysis of Spectrum, the largest broadband communication company in the United States. Now we will take a tour and discuss the SWOT Analysis of Dish TV.
Dish TV was able to pioneer the DTH market and become Asia’s largest DTH provider. One of the main reasons for Dish TV to stay a leading satellite service provider in the market is the constant development in their DTH providing services to give the best television experience to their customers.
All these are backed by their clever marketing strategies which is also constantly developing as the world is drifting towards digitisation and if you want to develop your marketing expertise then look out for our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Now let’s dive in and learn how Dish TV became what it is today, Dish TV’s SWOT analysis, and more. But before that let’s learn about the company, what products it has to offer, its financial position, and competitors.
About Dish TV
Dish TV India is an Indian broadcast satellite services provider launched by the ZEE group. Dish TV was founded on 2, October 2003 after its launch, it has changed the face of Indian television by introducing high and standard definition signals. Dish TV also gives their customers the liberty to customise their channel packages and also to reduce the rate of the package.
Dish Tv provides more than 500+ channels from which customers can choose. Dish TV also provides radio and movies on demand to their customers as it works with a “service with a passion” attitude. Being India’s largest Corporation in 2011, Dish Tv was also voted as the “Indian most trusted DTH brand” according to the source report by Trust Research Advisory 2014.
|Origin||Noida, UP, India|
|No. of Employees||400+|
|Market Cap||Rs 2,946.01 Crore (2022)|
|Annual Revenue||Rs 3,569 Crore (2020)|
|Net Income/ Profit||Rs 1,654 Crore (2020)|
Products of Dish TV
Dish TV provides a different and wide range of products & services. Whether you’re buying internet solutions for your house or your business, Dish TV got you covered.
- Satellite pay television
- Streaming television
Competitors of Dish TV
Dish TV being an international company competes globally with other telecommunication companies. Its top competitors are as followed:
- Den Networks Ltd.
- GTPL Hathway Ltd.
- Hathway Cable & Datacom Ltd
- Ortel communications Ltd.
- Sea Tv Network Ltd.
Now that we understand the company, let’s dig into the SWOT analysis of Dish TV.
SWOT Analysis of Dish TV
SWOT analysis is a simple tool that can help you analyse what your company is doing better now and then plan for a successful future. SWOT can also expose business areas that delay you, which your competitors can take advantage of and may exploit you if you do not protect them.
Below is an explicit guide to the SWOT analysis of Dish TV.
Strengths of Dish TV
A company’s strength is a competitive advantage that allows a company to win, generate value and gain efficiency. Dish TV’s strengths are as follow:
- Change in Business Model: 10 years ago, the person who led Dish TV decided to change the business model of Dish Tv by deciding not to compete with entrenched cable operators in metros and urban areas, and instead focused on providing services to rural areas and regions not serviced by cable television. From this decision to change the business model, Dish TV acquired more than 350,000 subscribers within 2 years.
- Merger with Videocon d2h: In 2018, Dish TV merged with another satellite service provider named Videocon d2h making Dish TV the largest DTH provider in India at the time of the merger.
- Stakeholders: Yes bank is the biggest stakeholder at Dish TV where the bank owns about a 25.6 per cent stake in Dish TV and has been pushing for a change in the management.
- Skilled Workforce: Staff is very skilled through effective training and learning programs. Dish TV is investing heavily in the training and development of its staff which results in the availability of not only highly skilled workers but also those who are encouraged to achieve more.
- Reliable Distribution Network: Over the years Dish TV has built a strong distribution network that can reach most potential markets.
- Great Performance in New Markets: Dish TV builds the expertise to enter new markets and make them successful. The expansion has helped the organisation to build a new revenue stream and spread the risks of the economic cycle in the markets in which it operates.
Weaknesses of Dish TV
Weaknesses are obstacles to a company’s success in some areas of strategy – in other words, what a company does not do well. Dish TV’s weaknesses are as follow:
- Improper Financial Planning: Financial planning is not done properly and efficiently. The current level of assets and prices of liquid assets suggests that the company can spend more money than it currently does.
- Poor Product Forecasting: It is not very good at predicting product demand which leads to a higher level of lost opportunities compared to competitors. One of the reasons why the calculation of dates is high compared to its competitors is that Dish TV is not very good at predicting forecasts and therefore ends up maintaining high prices inside the house and at the station.
- Limited Expansion: The organisational structure is only compatible with the current business model and therefore limits expansion to nearby product categories.
- Dependency On The Latest Technology: It depends heavily on technology, including major costs that include using the latest technology. There is a risk that it may go down or have errors, which could stop all business activities immediately.
- Decreasing Revenue: There is a constant decrease in annual revenue year on year which is causing Dish TV to suffer in the market. The reason for decreasing annual revenue could be the decreasing sales of its products.
Opportunities for Dish TV
Opportunities are focused on positive external factors that can give an organisation a competitive advantage. Opportunities for Dish TV are as follow:
- Customers Acquired Through the Web Channel: Dish TV has gained access to a new sales channel as a result of its big investment in the internet platform. In the coming years, the corporation can diversify on this opportunity by understanding their clients and meeting their demands through big data analytics.
- Innovation: Advanced technology integration can help businesses save money, increase productivity, and provide new products faster.
- New Trends in Consumer Behaviour: New styles of consumer behaviour can open up a new market for Dish TV. It provides an excellent opportunity for an organisation to build revenue streams and split new product categories as well.
- New Customers From Online Channels: Over the past few years, the company has invested heavily in the online platform. This investment has opened up a new marketing channel for Dish TV. Over the next few years, the company can take advantage of this opportunity to get to know its customers better and provide for their needs using big data analytics.
Bonus Tip: In today’s world, only having a business account on a social media page without any direction on how to utilise it is almost pointless. That’s why knowing social media marketing strategies are very crucial when it comes to growing a business on social media platforms today. The learning from the read will include the right tactics to help your business grow.
- Strategic Alliance: Dish TV should think of a strategic exclusive alliance with Bollywood and sports events like IPL in India or broadcasting type-ups with Bollywood film producers. The move will increase the recognition of the company and will ultimately help to increase its sales.
Threats to Dish TV
Threats include anything that could disrupt your business externally. Dish TV’s threats are as follow:
- Heavy Competition: There are companies like Tata Sky, DEN TV, Airtel, etc which are an endless challenge in the broadcast industry. Not only that but the growing power of local distributors also poses a threat to other markets as the competition pays higher margins to local distributors.
- External Conflicts: Dish TV is facing conflicts with its biggest stakeholder – Yes Bank in which the group Essel is also taking interest to buy back Dish TV shares from Yes Bank. The dispute is hurting Dish TV’s growth prospects where Yes Bank wants to be a controlling shareholder.
- Quality Issues: Dish TV is facing picture quality issues as compared to its competitors like Tata Sky and Airtel who are using high-quality digital IPTV players to broadcast the shows.
- New Technology Development: New technologies developed by a competitor or market disruptor could be a major threat to the industry in the future for the long term.
- Heavily Regulated Industry: Making changes is difficult as it is a heavily regulated industry with a lot of restrictions and policies.
With major companies like Dish TV, SWOT Analysis is a great way to break down their complex existence into easy-to-understand management risks and rewards.
This ends our SWOT analysis of Dish TV. Let us conclude our learning below.
Dish TV is a popular company with a global presence. In the SWOT analysis of Dish TV, we realised that the company has a very strong product portfolio with highly skilled staff and a reliable distribution network. It works well in new markets and adapts and innovates changing technologies, but it has not yet reached its full potential due to improper financial planning and poor prognosis of products leading to loss of opportunities.
With changing consumer behaviour and increasing competition, companies have to make more efforts in marketing for winning their customers. If you are a marketing enthusiast the most important thing right now is to understand digital marketing. If you want to improve yourself, check out IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course to know more.
We hope this blog on the SWOT analysis of Dish TV has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of Dish TV, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of Dish TV in the comments section below.