Earlier, we had done an extensive SWOT Analysis of a leading brand Intel. This time, we will do an in-depth SWOT Analysis of BOE Technology known as Beijing Oriental Electronics Group.
Having already operated as the ultimate panel supplier for smartphones, notepads and other applications, BOE Technology has also contrived to surpass LG Display and thus, become one of the top display manufacturers in the world.
Another characteristic that made BOE renowned is its marketing actions. Since the world goes online, marketing is transforming its aspects. Are you curious about learning the latest marketing techniques? Check out our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by Karan Shah, the CEO and Founder of IIDE.
Now, we will discover strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats covering BOE. Before we delve into the SWOT analysis of BOE Technology let’s learn about the company, its history, products, services and competitors.
BOE Technology Group Co., Ltd., a Chinese electronic components producer established in April 1993 founded by Wang Dongsheng is one of the world’s enormous manufacturers of LCDs, OLEDs and flexible displays. BOE is an IoT company supplying valuable products and proficient services for information interaction and human soundness.
At present, every fourth terminal in the world has a display from BOE. With 2,144 US patents granted, BOE hopped to 13th place in the global ranking. For many years, BOE has also stood among the top 10 in the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) patent ranking.
BOE operates in Beijing, Hefei, Mianyang, Wuhan, Chengdu, Fuzhou, Suzhou, Ordos, etc. BOE’s subsidiaries are situated in 19 different countries, including the USA, Japan, Korea, Germany, UK, France, Switzerland, India, Russia, Brazil, etc and generate a huge turnover.
|No. of Employees||68,175|
|Market Cap||$28.37 Billion (2022)|
|Annual Revenue||$18.24 Billion (2019)|
|Net Income/ Profit||$519.13 Million (2018)|
Products of BOE
BOE has been a global marketer since 1993 and deals in the following
- Health Care
- Internet of Things
- Flexible Displays
- Micro LEDs
- Fingerprint Sensors
- Solar Panels
- Optoelectronic sensors
Competitors of BOE Technology
Competition among businesses may lead to the development of new or improved goods, as well as more efficient operations. BOE has a few major rival companies around the globe. Some of the top competitors are
- Alps Alpine
- Shenzhen Kaifa Technology
- Laird Connectivity
Now, we have a clear picture of the company’s core business. Let’s talk about the SWOT Analysis of BOE Technology.
SWOT Analysis of BOE Technology
A SWOT analysis examines the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats that a firm faces. SWOT Analysis is a tried-and-true tool that enables a company like BOE Technology to compare its business and performance to that of its competitors.
It will give us a strategic analysis of its internal and external environment, which is crucial for understanding the SWOT Analysis of BOE Technology.
To better understand the SWOT analysis of BOE Technology, refer to the infographics below:
Below is an explicit guide to the SWOT analysis of BOE Technology.
Strengths of BOE Technology
BOE Technology, being one of the leading companies in its industry, has several benefits that help it flourish in the marketplace. These strengths not only help it retain market share in existing areas but also help it break into new ones.
- Global Operations: BOE Technology has its manufacturing facilities in every developed city in China. It has its R&D centres in 19+ countries including Japan, South Korea, Singapore, the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, India, Russia, Brazil and Dubai.
- Major Distributor: BOE Technology is one of the major distributors of OLED, LED, smartphones displays and screen panels. Its displays and panels are used by some of the major selling Tv and smartphone companies like Samsung, LG and Huawei.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: A track record of successfully integrating additional companies through mergers and acquisitions. Over the past few years, he has successfully integrated several technology companies to optimize operations and establish a stable supply chain.
- Operates in Various Industries: The main PSU of this company is to provide electronic components for products like LED, OLEDs, smartphones, internet access, TV operators, etc. Apart from these, BOE Technologies also shows its interest in health care, smart medicine and engineering integration.
- Leading Market Position: BOE Technology holds a leading market position because of its inception as the sole provider of electronic components in China. Since its inception the growth enabled the company to create a new revenue stream and diversify the economic cycle risk in the markets it serves, propelling BOE Technology to the top of the Chinese market.
- Highly Qualified Workforce: Through training and learning initiatives, BOE Technology has been able to develop a highly qualified staff. BOE Technology devotes significant resources to employee training and development, resulting in a team that is not just highly competent but also driven to attain greater success.
Weaknesses of BOE Technology
BOE Technology’s weakness is an area where he can improve. Strategy is about making important decisions, and weaknesses are areas where a company could improve with the help of a SWOT analysis.
- Expenditure on Building Fresh Supply Chain & Logistics Network: AI has significantly modified the business model in the technology industry and hence, BOE Technology has to build a new expensive supply chain network.
- Sloping Market Share With Rising Revenues: The electronic industry is growing faster than the company itself making it challenging to analyze the trends within the technology sector.
- Components Can Get Readily Copied: BOE Technology’s business model is the issue to address which can get easily copied by its competitors. The organisation must develop a platform model that can combine suppliers, vendors, and end-users to ensure a secure supply chain.
- Production Shortage: BOE Technology is reportedly facing issues in completing the supply of Apple’s OLED display panels due to a global chip shortage. The shortage will impact the production at BOE Technology for a few months.
- Less Investment in New Technologies: As the company embarks on its next phase of expansion, it needs to invest in new technologies that can help it achieve its goals. Currently, investment in technology does not meet the ideas that a company has.
Opportunities for BOE Technology
Opportunities are possible areas for a company to consider to improve results, sales, and, ultimately, profit. BOE Technology includes the following opportunities:
- Stable Free Cash Flow: The stable cash flow provides opportunities to invest in adjacent products. Hence when more cash is with the company can think of some new technologies and product segments to increase the market share.
- Technological Advancements: The new technology provides an opportunity for BOE Technology to practice a differentiated pricing strategy in the new market. It enables the firm to maintain its loyal clients with great service and lure new clients through other value oriented propositions.
- Diverse Client’s Preferences: With easy access to information, and quick adoption of technology, clients nowadays are more willing to experiment with new products in the market. BOE Technology has to carefully monitor the wider trends within the technology sector to meet such client desires.
- Heavy Government Regulations: With increasing government regulations, unorganized players who are producing electronic components are finding it difficult to operate in the electronic industry, providing BOE Technology with an edge to grow the customer base.
- Market to Witness Huge Growth: According to recent reports, the display panel market is expected to witness huge growth by 2029, providing BOE Technology to utilize this opportunity and expand its market share using the latest marketing strategies.
Threats to BOE Technology
External environmental factors that can harm a BOE Technology’s growth are known as threats. BOE Technology’s threats include the following:
- Saturation in Urban & Stagnation in Rural Markets: It is extremely costly to serve rural customers due to the vast distances and lack of infrastructure. Secondly, for BOE Technology it is a persistent challenge in the electronic segment as the adoption of products is lagging in the rural market.
- Trade Relations: US and China trade concerns can adversely affect BOE Technology growth plans and may lead to a full-scale trade war. It can hinder the potential of BOE Technology to grow operations in China.
- Scepticism of Institutions: As the WTO regulations and laws are challenging to implement in various markets, prolonged and expensive legal procedures can lead to less investment thus, resulting in slower growth.
- Strong Rivalry from other Components Providers: There is a lot of competition in the industry these days. This affects prices, resulting in a drop in revenue or income for BOE Technology.
- Threat from Local Distributors: Growing strengths of local distributors also presents a threat in some markets as the competition is paying higher margins to the local distributors.
This ends our detailed SWOT analysis of BOE Technology. Let us conclude our learning below.
BOE Technology is a renowned business company with a notable international existence. After going through the SWOT analysis of BOE Technology, we can conclude that the company is highly-reliable and has broad geographic availability leveraging brand glory in the latest segment but it also suffers from threats of competitors catching up with the product development.
The company has outperformed its rival competitors with its incredible marketing efforts in branding. With the increasing competition and advancement in technological expertise, digital marketing plays a vital role in boosting traffic, if the company gets better visibility, sales and revenue will eventually increase.
Hundreds of thousands of businesses now use digital marketing to reach a considerable number of people because it is easier and more cost-effective than other traditional ways. If you are interested in learning more and getting upskilled in digital marketing then check out IIDE’s 4-month online digital marketing course to know more.
We hope this blog on the SWOT Analysis of BOE Technology has given you a good insight into the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
If you enjoy in-depth company research just like the SWOT analysis of BOE Technology, check out our IIDE Knowledge portal for more fascinating case studies.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study of the SWOT analysis of BOE Technology in the comments section below.