Kansai Nerolac Paints Limited (KNPL) is India’s third-largest decorative paint company founded in 1920. They celebrated their centennial in 2020. It is known for its high-quality paints and coating products.
In this case study, you will get an overview of the Marketing Strategy of Nerolac Paints, its marketing mix, marketing campaigns, and SWOT analysis. Let’s start by understanding the Kansai Nerolac company.
About Kansai Nerolac Paints
Kansai Nerolac Paints Limited (KNPL) also known as Goodlass Nerolac Paints Ltd. One of the largest decorative paint companies in India. Founded by Katsujiro Iwai in Amagasaki city, Japan. It has six paint manufacturing plants and there are about 7 contract manufacturers.
This company has a market share of over 40%, and its products include Automotive Coatings, Industrial Coatings, Decorative coatings, Protective Coatings, and Marine Coatings.
Kansai Nerolac Paints is one of the most trusted names in the paint company industry. It carries out many community enrichment programs such as health camps in rural areas, construction of toilets, etc. KNPL is committed to contributing in as many ways as possible.
So now that we have understood about the company, let’s understand Kansai Nerolac Paints’ marketing strategy in the coming section.
Marketing Strategy of Nerolac Paints
Nerolac’s marketing strategy is different from other paint brands. It has always focused on a healthy paint version by promoting its paints as lead-free.
It has emphasized advertisements that would increase the popularity of the products. Nerolac has several products which are of decorative and industrial purpose. Also, it has online tools such as paint calculators that help the customers in using its products efficiently. Online apps include Nerolac – Colour MySpace, and Nerolac Pragati.
The services provided by the brand increased its popularity, productivity with good quality paints.
Now that we know what marketing strategy the company applies, let us now understand Nerolac’s marketing campaigns in the coming section.
Marketing Campaigns of Kansai Nerolac Paints
Marketing campaigns are important in communicating the brand image. Kansai Nerolac Paints have launched many successful campaigns. Let’s have a look at some of the successful campaigns by the brand:
– “Nerolac and Talent House” – Marketing campaign of Kansai Nerolac Paints
In 2012, Nerolac partnered with Talenthouse India, they launched a contest and invited people to recreate their version of the jingle and win prizes. They came out with catchy jingles like- “Jab ghar ki raunak badhani ho, deewaro ko sajana ho, NEROLAC NEROLAC!” In 2008, the company tempted its customers through Shah Rukh Khan for its ad campaigns who continues to be the brand ambassador for Nerolac Paints.
Check this Nerolac SRK to know about this marketing campaign.
– “Little bit of Nerolac” – Marketing campaign of Kansai Nerolac Paints
“Little Bit of Nerolac” campaign by the brand featuring Ranveer Singh made consumers take a second look at their home appliances. Your home appliances are shining because of Nerolac’s everlasting shine, now it’s time for your house walls to shine.
– “Lead-Free Paints” TVC – Marketing campaign of Kansai Nerolac Paints
Nerolac is involved in environmental safety initiatives and has been promoting them. It has always focused on the environment.
Nerolac also worked with cricket players to create advertising content which also gave good results. This marketing strategy was very effective, especially during the IPL.
With this marketing campaign of Kansai Nerolac Paints comes to an end. So, let’s see brand ambassadors of Kansai Nerolac Paints.
Brand Ambassadors of Kansai Nerolac Paints
Roping celebrities is one of the popular marketing strategies of a company. Kansai Nerolac Paints have appointed some popular faces as brand ambassadors. Ambassadors include Ranveer Singh and Shah Rukh Khan.
Shah Rukh Khan was appointed as the ambassador of Kansai Nerolac Paints in 2010. His appearance endorsed the brand to its higher level.
At present, Ranveer Singh is the new ambassador of Kansai Nerolac Paints. The company roped him to increase its popularity with a new face.
So, they are the ambassadors of Kansai Nerolac Company. Now let’s peek into the marketing mix strategy of Kansai Nerolac Paints.
Kansai Nerolac Paints Marketing Mix
Through the marketing mix, a company can promote its products by persuading its customers with some cool and awesome stuff. Kansai Nerolac Paints employs the 4 Ps (Product, Price, Place, and Promotion) of the marketing mix.
Let us now understand the Kansai Nerolac Paints marketing mix.
1. Nerolac Product Strategy
Kansai Nerolac Paints Limited is a producer and supplier of paints and coating products. The company uses a dynamic targeting strategy so that it can target specific products to different segments.
Under the category of decorative paint products, the company provides a wide range of products such as wood coatings, interior wall paints, exterior wall paints, enamel paints, etc. The interior and exterior wall paints come under a super-premium range with the finest quality.
Other products include powder coatings, floor coatings, and coil coatings. It also offers tools like a paint calculator which helps the users to estimate the price depending on their requirements.
2. Nerolac Price Strategy
Nerolac Paints follow a dynamic pricing strategy for different segments. As it offers eco-friendly and high-quality products, the prices charged by them are relatively higher than its competitor’s pricing/industry’s pricing.
Nerolac categorizes its pricing into super-premium range, premium range, popular range, and economy range. The higher the quality of paint, the higher the pricing will be. It also offers free tools as well that act as a value-adding element for the customers.
3. Nerolac Place Strategy
Kansai Nerolac Paints has a strong distribution network. Kansai Vendors at Nerolac are treated more like business partners. Nerolac’s Best Vendor Performance Management System ensures that high-quality raw materials are secured from a pool of vendors.
The majority of the manufacturing is done in-house at paint processing facilities, although some of it is also outsourced to other processing centres.
The finished commodities from both internal and external centres are subsequently sent either directly to depots or to regional distribution centres, from where they are delivered to depots. Finally, stores and customers will receive them.
Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, and Haryana are home to the five manufacturing facilities. In the Philippines, Malaysia, Turkey, Kenya, Nepal, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, the corporation has a presence. In 2005, this company was also awarded the Best Vendor Award.
4. Nerolac Promotion Strategy
Kansai Nerolac Paints has always invested in advertising campaigns. This brand always invested heavily in promotions and campaigns as it had to compete against the tremendous brand equity of Asian Paints.
Nerolac Paints came with a marketing campaign “Rang de Patang” where they used colourful kites during Uttarayan Festival in Ahmedabad city.
They gave kites as a gift to the customers and the remaining ones they distributed to people in Ahemdabad on the day of Uttarayan. The whole sky was filled with Nerolac kites during Uttarayan. This is a unique promotional strategy.
Check this Nerolac Rang de Patang promotional strategy by Nerolac Paints.
It also uses other mediums for promotion like magazines, tv, billboards, etc. Under its Nerolac Colour Trails campaign. It promoted its offerings by giving an insight into decorating homes with unique and traditional designs through magazines.
Hence, this concludes the marketing mix of Kansai Nerolac Paints. Nerolac is a company with many strengths and opportunities in today’s global world, but it also suffers from threats and problems. So let us now discuss the SWOT analysis of Nerolac Paints.
SWOT Analysis of Kansai Nerolac Paints
A SWOT analysis is a technique that helps to define the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats in an organization. Strengths and weaknesses are the factors that affect internal and external factors are opportunities and threats.
Here is the SWOT analysis of Nerolac Paints :
1. Strengths of Kansai Nerolac Paints:
- Kansai Nerolac Paints Limited is at the top of the industry due to its excellent marketing strategies and branding.
- The company focuses on research and development (R&D) which leads to new quality products to meet the essentials of the customer. Nerolac Paints has an excellent chain network that allows consumers to access the goods.
- The company has served many in the automotive industry by working with Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, Honda, etc. Kansai Nerolac Paints have received many awards in the past years.
2. Weakness of Kansai Nerolac Paints:
- Customer’s tastes and preferences change as per the trends in the decorative paint industry. This might cause a problem in terms of product planning.
- Nerolac Paints is known for its tech-savviness which is one of its weak points because of using the Internet and Artificial intelligence quite a lot.
- There is an inefficient capital allocation to raise income. Revenue and profit growth have slowed.
- Kansai Nerolac Paints business model is easily replicable by its competitors. As a result, the organization would need to create a development platform into which manufacturers, suppliers, and end-users could be integrated.
3. Opportunities of Kansai Nerolac Paints:
- Developing a reputation as an environmentally friendly and greener brand. A low inflation rate increases the consumption of a company’s products which provides them huge opportunities. Online services are increasing day by day. Customers avail of those services.
- Kansai Nerolac can capture the market by offering special discounts on bulk purchases to Builders and Developers.
- The company can enter the Sanitizer Manufacturing Industry because the demand is increasing, it is easily accessible, and it does not necessitate the acquisition of any additional licenses.
Threats of Kansai Nerolac Paints:
- Production depends upon the raw materials and if raw materials are scarce the production gets affected.
- Any change in government policies concerning chemicals has the potential to have a direct impact on the market for Kansai Nerolac Paints. Stringent guidelines and regulations on the quality of goods and production facilities pose a significant challenge to the company’s operations.
- Environmental policies are becoming more important, and the organization must constantly monitor them.
- The company needs to come up with ways to eradicate its weakness and threats.
We have seen the SWOT analysis of Nerolac Paints, so let’s have a look at the social media presence of Kansai Nerolac Paints.
This concludes the competitors of Nerolac Paints. So, let’s jump to the pain points of Nerolac Paints.
Kansai Nerolac Paints Limited is one of the top brands in the industry. It has always come up with innovative campaigns to attract customers. It has always focused on the environment and health which makes it different from the other brands.
Kansai Nerolac has maintained its quality and image throughout. Nerolac has focused on manufacturing effective, healthy, and beautiful paint colours for customers. The popularity and trust are the results of its continuous efforts.
Thank you for your valuable time. We hope you found this blog useful. If you did, be sure to share, comment, and check out more of our blogs on IIDE’s website. Also If you wish to explore digital marketing, IIDE conducts a free Digital Marketing Masterclassevery week.