Today’s global brand, Mahindra and Mahindra, began as a steel-trading venture seven decades ago. Their story narrates how an Indian company paved its way to becoming a global powerhouse. They have come a long way since 1945 and as they accelerate into the 21st century, they aim to achieve even more. They adapted themselves to everything that came along.
In this case study, we will look into the marketing strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra, its marketing mix, digital marketing strategy, and marketing campaigns as well. Let’s dive right into it.
About Mahindra and Mahindra
Mahindra & Mahindra Limited is an Indian Multinational Automobile Manufacturing corporation, having headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. It was ranked as the 10th most trusted brand in India in 2014. It manufactures over 20 models of cars.
‘Mahindra and Mahindra ranked 13th on the list of ‘Best Companies to Work for 2019’ by Business Today. Acknowledging the Mahindra Group’s focus on instilling a culture of innovation, Business Today wrote – “A steadfast focus on giving employees opportunities to learn, freedom to innovate and providing them stability and job security at a time when the unemployment rate in the country has hit a record high has made the home-grown auto major the pick of the lot in the automobile industry.”
It is one of the largest vehicle manufacturers by production in India and the largest manufacturer of tractors across the world. Let’s look into some current news about Mahindra.
What’s new with Mahindra and Mahindra
- In September 2021, Mahindra and Ford ended their collaboration. The collaboration was formed in 2017 to develop new vehicles, technologies, and markets.
- According to Mahindra and Mahindra company, the domestic passenger vehicle sales have increased by 25% in the month of August to 37,270 units from 29,852 units.
- On September 1 utility vehicle segment sold its highest-ever SUVs 37,270 vehicles, it also included 38,164 vehicles.
- Mahindra and Mahindra became the associate sponsor for the ICC men’s cricket World Cup 2023.
Target Audience of Mahindra and Mahindra
Below is a buyer persona for Mahindra with various aspects for a better understanding of their target audience.
- Financial Growth
Interest & Hobbies
- Financial Markets
- Travel and Adventure
- Technology Enthusiast
- Financial Planning
- Urban Mobility
- Eco-conscious Lifestyle
Social Media Presence
Before we move to the marketing strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra. Let us get insights into its marketing mix:
Mahindra and Mahindra’s Marketing Mix
Marketing Mix is a combination of factors that can be controlled by a company to influence consumers to purchase its products. M&M has a wide variety of products. Its marketing mix is as follows:
Mahindra and Mahindra are involved in and cater to the demands which include farm equipment, utility vehicles, and commercial vehicles. Their portfolio covers a wide range of products:
- heavy trucks,
- light trucks,
- tractors and
- school buses.
M&M has also built top industry-standard military vehicles and its Willys jeeps were used for transportation in World War II. The esteemed company has also entered into partnership deals with Renault S.A and manufacture what turned out to be an amazing Mahindra-Renault Logan. Some of the other Mahindra vehicles include- Mahindra Scorpio, Mahindra Scorpio Getaway, Mahindra Bolero, Mahindra Pick-up, etc.
Mahindra owns many assembly plants and manufacturing plants. Its assembly plants are located in China, India, Brazil, and the United Kingdom. It has a global presence and its products are sent to countries like Italy, China, South Africa, the USA, and the UK. It has proved its capabilities by sending strong messages. It captured the markets in China with determination and ample business sense. In India, its plants are located in Bangalore, Chakan, Nasik in Maharashtra, and Haridwar in Uttarakhand.
The pricing policy of Mahindra and Mahindra for its vehicles is affected by various factors that determine the price of the automobiles. Some costs are incurred at every stage which includes manufacturing to assembling the parts and making them a whole product and the cost of distribution and marketing M&M has covered every corner of the country with products that are at a reasonable price without any compromise on quality.
In order to meet the needs of every section of the masses, they have launched products for every income class that is suitable for everyone. These noticeable changes are well-thought-out conscious decisions with the right prices to balance their portfolio and attract a large number of potential consumers.
Mahindra and Mahindra have taken various steps to promote their vehicles throughout the world. It has decided to use traditional media which consists of TV Ads and print ads to generate greater awareness around the brand. Advertisements featuring attractive models with its products have been handled gracefully so that Mahindra and Mahindra become a household name.
Under additional activities for sales promotion, it has organized exhibitions where catalogs are distributed and contests are held. The company has also initiated various programs where they reward the best talent in the industry with cash and job offers. This has also proved to be a good promotional and beneficial move which has provided goodwill to the company.
Mahindra Group has launched a lot of ad campaigns, One of their campaigns named “Together We Rise,” gained a lot of attention online, the ad features a poem that expresses the hopes and desires of future generations. The campaign encourages present-day corporations to listen to the voices of tomorrow’s leaders. The ad shows children walking across a busy intersection while reciting their expectations from future businesses and economy builders.
Check out the ad campaign:
Marketing Strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra
The marketing strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra include various campaigns that were done to draw user’s attention. They have made good use of digital platforms to retain their audience. Following are some of the marketing strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra.
Marketing Campaigns of Mahindra and Mahindra
An engaging and relatable marketing campaign strategy provides an organization with an edge over its competitors. Mahindra and Mahindra is one such automobile company that has revolutionized the markets. It puts out content that is valuable or entertaining to people anywhere in the globe and in doing so Mahindra has attracted a global audience.
In 2015, Mahindra & Mahindra was recognized as the Best Company for CSR in India in a study by the Economic Times.
- Mahindra & Mahindra held a pre-launch event on 15 December 2015 where the company released images of the car for the first time, before its launch. This helped them in getting great feedback and reactions about the car. M&M got 1.5 million views on its microsite, 3,00,000 views, and 50,000 hot inquiries in two days.
- The company released a video of the vehicle plying on the road, featuring young, dashing brand ambassador actor Varun Dhawan before the official launch on TV, YouTube, and Facebook.
- Mahindra & Mahindra also targeted various e-commerce platforms to sell their new launch and has already started taking bookings on Flipkart, car and bike portals, and its e-retail platform M2ALL.
- Dubmash & Win KUV100 Contest – Mahindra & Mahindra announced the dub smash contest on 23rd December before the launch of the car. In this contest, participants had to make a dub smash video, based on his/ her experience on the first time seeing KUV 100 and upload the same on Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. till the 14th The prize for the same was Mahindra KUV100, Mahindra Adventure Expedition on 2016 for a couple, Mahindra Gusto and 100 other merchandises.
- Mahindra & Mahindra is also looking for exports of KUV100 from April 2016 to Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and South Africa.
- Mahindra & Mahindra launched its first petrol-engine model (mFalcon)– KUV100, strategically at the correct time. Exactly a month after the Delhi government imposed a temporary ban on the registration and sale of cars and SUVs with diesel engines above 2,000cc. This ban could have severely affected Mahindra & Mahindra which, till now, had only a diesel-engined product portfolio. So, this can be seen as the company’s first move in its petrol strategy.
Digital is the new game. You need to be alert, adaptable, and executive on the trends. Having a digital presence makes it easy for consumers to browse through your portfolio even when you are sleeping. It facilitates easy access without labor and rent. Let’s see how Mahindra and Mahindra cracked this.
Digital Marketing Strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra
The most successful campaign of Mahindra is the #choosetogetherchooseright campaign. The economic class categorized people hyped about the cars which were under 10 lakh. The main motive of the campaign was the general public who wanted to live their life luxuriously but they couldn’t afford it. Hence Mahindra makes their life even better by launching cars under 10 lakh with the best services to the customers.
Social media engagement
Mahindra and Mahindra are presently very actively maintaining their presence on social media platforms such as LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook this helps the audience to get notified and also to get updated about their new innovations and products.
Current scenario of Mahindra over various Social Media Platforms
- The Facebook fan following: 926 K
- YouTube Channel with 312K Subscribers
- Instagram: 145K Followers
YouTube and Twitter are still somewhat engaging compared to other platforms.
If we look at the competitors of Mahindra and Mahindra i.e. Honda, Toyota, Nissan Motors, Hyundai Motors, Fiat, etc.. Then, we can see that the reach that these companies have on various social media platforms like Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter is far better than Mahindra and Mahindra.
The impact of social media on business is no doubt huge. Organizations understand the essence of social media in building the brand and increasing overall revenue.
Mahindra and Mahindra should boost their social media game real quick because this can be amongst the effective marketing strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra.
Mahindra and Mahindra mainly focus on content marketing to reach the value and necessary information to their targeted audience. They create blogs, articles, videos, and infographics that cover various topics related to agriculture and renewable energy as a part of the marketing strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra.
Mahindra collaborates with many social media influencers and brand ambassadors who can provide information and updates to their targeted audience. Some of the partners have a strong presence in their respective fields such as agricultural experts, environmental advocates etc. The influencer creates content and share their experience of Mahindra products and they help to reach the brand to the customers.
Mobile apps and digital tools
Mahindra has developed different mobile applications and digital tools to enhance their targeted customer experience and to provide convenience to the audience for example: showcasing offer mobile apps for vehicle booking service scheduling etc.
Before we conclude the marketing strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra let us get insights about their competitors.
Top 5 competitors of Mahindra
- Tata Motors Limited: Tata Motors Limited is a multinational automotive company which is located in Mumbai India. Tata Motors is part of the Tata Group. They are well known for the production of cars, vans, and trucks. recently Tata Motors achieved a landmark in sales of 1,00,000 Tata EVs.
- Nissan motors: The famous nisan company was established in Japan around 1933 .nissan has continued to demonstrate a commitment to innovation reliability and quality today, and that rich history and forward-thinking engineering can be seen and felt in every car from the Nissan Micra to the Nissan Navara,nissan x-trail and the gt-r.nissan awarded gold in pride index 2022. This was awarded in the month of November.
- Volkswagen: Volkswagen, also known as VW is a German automobile manufacturer headquartered in Wolfsburg. the founder of Volkswagen was the German labor front. Volkswagen company has earned the top safety pick from the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety in the year 2022.
- Maruti Suzuki: Maruthi Suzuki was two different companies that joined together and amalgamated and became one company that is Maruti Suzuki. This was amalgamated in the month of July 12, 2012, the headquarters of this company is located in New Delhi. The brand company Maruti Suzuki has received gold recognition at LACP 2020-21 global vision awards for its annual integrated report.
- Skoda: It is a company of Czech automobile manufacturers which was established in the year 1925. The headquarters of the company is located in Mlada Boleslav. The founders of this company were Vaclav Klement and Vaclav Laurin. The company Skoda was awarded the best executive car for the value in 2023.
- KIA: The KIA automobile manufacturer is a South Korean multinational automobile manufacturer which is headquartered in South Korea Seoul. The KIA manufacturers were awarded for J.D. power quality award.
Hence the marketing strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra need to be well strategized to keep up the brand image.
All in all, Mahindra and Mahindra is a distinct company and brand that has sustained itself efficiently over the years. Their focus on innovation and technology has always come in handy and helped them grow. In the domestic market, their strong presence is undeniable. As the industry experiences further development, there is huge potential for the company to capitalize on the latest demands.
The marketing strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra, both traditional and digital are quite up to the mark. Notably their campaigns and use of popular brand ambassadors. Being one of the oldest companies in the industry, M&M has faced numerous challenges during its journey. Still, it is one of the most trusted brands in the industry. They are adapting to new trends and executing new schemes constantly.
Over the past decades, there has been an enormous growth in the spectrum of digital media. Business firms have become more conscious regarding their branding, advertising, and also their engagement on social media platforms.
IIDE helps you level up your digital marketing game by providing various courses to revamp your brand. All you have to do is register and develop the enthusiasm to learn. Before you make a decision, sign up for our completely free-of-cost Masterclass led by Mr. Karan Shah, the founder, and CEO of IIDE, and learn the basics of digital marketing from the expert and then make your decision.
Thank you for taking out time and read the Marketing Strategies of Mahindra and Mahindra case study. Comment down your suggestions and recommendations for any future blogs!