In our previous blog, we did an Elite SWOT Analysis of the world’s largest defense contractor, Lockheed Martin. Here we will be doing an Extensive SWOT Analysis of John Deere.
John Deere has been able to gain such extensive success in its industry with the use of its marketing techniques. It can still improve its market standing with the use of digital marketing as most people are using digital platforms, hence it is important for every business to have a digital presence. If you are curious about learning what digital marketing is and how to use it to your advantage – check out our Free MasterClass on Digital Marketing 101 by the CEO and Founder of IIDE, Karan Shah.
Thus this makes us Anxious to know how John Deere is so successful in maintaining a prominent position in the market. To understand that we have given an Extensive SWOT Analysis of John Deere. But before we start with its SWOT Analysis let us learn about John Deere as a Company, its Products, competitors, financials, and more.
About John Deere
Deere & Company ( John Deere ) is a Global Enterprise. It was founded in the year 1837, by John Deere. It has its headquarters situated in Moline, Illinois, US. It s a heavy equipment and engineering company. With over 180 years of experience in its pocket.
John Deere’s intelligence-connected machines and equipment are supplied to almost every industry, including, Agriculture, Construction, Landscaping & Ground care, Golf & Sports Turf, Forestry, Lawn & Garden, Engines & Drive trains, Rental Services, Government & Military Sales, etc.
The 74 thousand employee team of John Deere also provides financial services along with Manuals, Machinery Parts, Training and Support Services. The company that is spread over 100 countries in the world, is currently headed by John C. May, who is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer since November of 2019.
Deere has reached great market heights and all the while sticking to its core values of work ethic, quality, and the unprecedented treatment of customers, investors as well as employees. Productivity and Sustainability are the bases for the growth of the company. And from all of this information, we can see that John Deere truly helps life leap forward.
|No. of Employees||69,634 (2020)|
|Market Cap||$84.30 Billion (2020)|
|Annual Revenue||$35.54 Billion (2020)|
|Net profit||$811 Million (2020)|
Products of John Deere
John Deere has a large customer base in the market and to keep them satisfied it provides them with different products in the market. Following are some of the products of John Deere:
- Agricultural machinery
- Heavy equipment
- Forestry machinery
- Diesel engines
- Drivetrains used in heavy equipment
- Lawn care equipment
Close Competitors of John Deere
John Deere has gained large success in its industry, thus it needs to face many competitors in the market to retain its position. Following are some of the Competitors of John Deere:
- Horizon ERP
- MERI DAIRY
- AgriSys ERP
Now that you have gained a detailed insight into the company and its beliefs, let’s look at the SWOT Analysis of John Deere.
SWOT Analysis of John Deere
Strategic planning is very important for the successful growth of any organization. SWOT Analysis is an important tool of strategic planning that helps John Deere managers to do a situational analysis of the company.
SWOT Analysis helps to review a company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats concerning its competitors. It is an amazing method used to see where a company rises or falls, helps compose countermeasures, and determines how the company may grow.
Let’s dive into its SWOT Analysis by first looking at the Strengths of John Deere.
Strengths of John Deere
John Deere gets its competitive advantage because of the various strengths that it possesses. Following are some of the Strengths of John Deere:
- Diverse Product and Service Portfolio – John Deere specializes in having a variety of products and services. They have a huge product and service portfolio in 3 particular domains i.e., equipment, parts, and finance. This also has many variants in trucks, cutters, shedders, dozers, backhoes, engines, loaders, mowers, tractors, etc. They also provide machine parts for agriculture, lawn, and garden, commercial mowing, construction, and maintenance. Their financial services include equipment loans, equipment leases, and account plans such as Multi-Use, Power Plan, and Revolving Plan accounts. Along with this they also sell maintenance kits, cleaners, lubricants, paints replacement parts, and equipment accessories. So, you can see how diverse their product and service portfolio is.
- Customer Relationship Management System – John Deere has a very strong CRM system. Being in the industry for so many years and maintaining a prominent position in the market for over 180 years is not an easy task. John Deere has been able to do this because it believes in maintaining the trust of its customers. The company provides reliable equipment that is ever-innovating. They adhere to every customer’s request with sincerity and cater to all their needs. This has helped incredibly in the company’s growth.
- Huge Employee Base – John Deere has a vast employee base. They have, in their team, almost seventy-four thousand employees that cater to every aspect of the business. They all have been trained to have excellent work ethics. Their highly equipped employee base has helped the company maintain customer satisfaction and in turn spread goodwill in the market.
- Strong Financial Position – Being this experienced in the industry, John Deere has also managed to hold a strong financial position. Being a leader in agricultural equipment, construction, and machinery, has led the company to gain high asset leverage. They have a large customer and investor network which has aided their financial success.
Weaknesses of John Deere
Weaknesses are the factors that create a problem in the functioning of John Deere. Following are some of the Weaknesses of John Deere:
- Limited Awareness – Though being in the industry for over 180 years, John Deere has limited global awareness and penetration compared to a few other industry leaders. The company does not have enough fame as one would hope. They need to enhance their goodwill and position in the market.
- Technological Complications – John Deere sells innovative and technologically run equipment and machinery. This causes a problem because not every buyer is technologically advanced. Plus, the obligations of its IT communications and interface turn out to be more compound and greater by the day. This affects the client’s purchasing and the position of the company in the market.
Opportunities for John Deere
Opportunities are the factors that help John Deere grow in the market. Following are some of the Opportunities for John Deere:
- Flexibility – John Deere is a flexible company and quickly adapts to the changing times in terms of technological development. The company has the capability to quickly budge into the fresh rising market. They can provide advanced and efficient equipment to the targeted audience. They have a great opportunity of revolutionizing agriculture with technology.
- Expansion – The current policy of John Deere to expand and support changes in Asia, Europe, and the East, has presented them to many new and fresh markets to compete in. With the growth of population and the growing need for agriculture and construction, the company can see potential in emerging markets.
- Acquisitions – John Deere can expect a lot of growth in the future if it collaborates and ties up with other global companies. These acquisitions can help drive inorganic growth. It will increase the companies assets and divide the liabilities. They can provide new markets and great exposure globally.
Threats to John Deere
Threats are the negative factors of a company that can create a problem for John Deere in the future. Following are some of the potential threats to John Deere:
- Changing Laws – The changing economy, interest rate, and government regulations of all the different countries pose a huge threat to the company. John Deere is spread over a large number of countries whose laws and agricultural regulations keep changing. The company needs to be flexible enough to adapt to these fresh regulations and work with the countries in harmony.
- Labor and Workforce Issues – John Deere has a large workforce, and with a large workforce, comes maintenance and training. Having this large number of employees work in harmony is a difficult task and can cause issues.
- Financial Risks in Foreign Markets – Entering foreign markets can introduce a company to a lot of financial risks. Thus, John Deere needs to be focused and reduce its attention on further establishing market places, or else, countries like the U.S. can rush the danger of down market share to very active competitors inside them.
With this, we have reached the end of the SWOT Analysis of John Deere. This analysis helps John Deere to gain insights about its business in a wide aspect so that it can prepare proper strategies.
On the study of the SWOT Analysis of John Deere, we have known that it is the producer of one of the most powerful tractors in the world. It has a diverse product and service portfolio in the market and a good customer relationship management service. It can grow its business by expanding into new markets and acquiring companies. Even with such advantages in the market, John Deere has some flaws in the market.
John Deere just needs to be careful while entering new markets and make their equipment a little less complicated. They also need to adapt to the changing laws and work with each country in harmony. They can use advanced digital marketing techniques to market their products in new countries at a lower cost because most people nowadays are online and it is easy to target only potential customers using digital marketing. Thus digital marketing is essential for every business nowadays. If you are interested in upskilling and learning, check out IIDE’s 3 Month Advanced Online Digital Marketing Course to know more.
If you like to read such detailed analyses of companies, find more such insightful case studies on our IIDE Knowledge portal.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and do share your thoughts on this case study in the comments section below.