This blog aims to look at the marketing mix and advertising strategies of Ashok Leyland and will also look at what makes this company the second largest producer of commercial vehicles in India. Further, this blog will briefly summarise the competitors strategies to see how they are different from that of Ashok Leyland’s.
About Ashok Leyland
Founded in 1948 and based in Chennai, Ashok Leyland is the second largest producer of commercial vehicles in India. They are the 4th largest manufacturer of buses in the world and the 16th largest manufacturer of trucks globally. Their vehicles range from small to big buses of weights ranging from 1 Ton to 55 Tons. They also make vehicles for defence and other special purposes.
Now that we have seen Ashok Leyland’s introduction, let us look at their competition.
Ashok Leyland’s Competitors
Ashok Leyland has some close competitors which keeps their price, quality and other safety standards in check. Let’s see how Ashok Leyland’s strategies differ from that of their competitors.
Eicher Motors doesn’t have a YouTube channel. They post frequently on their Twitter and Facebook page. They post statistics and other information related to their products.
Mahindra has a page on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. They post frequently and their content is customer centered. Using the hashtag #PeopleWhoRise, they tell stories and connect with their customers on their social media handles. They follow a consistent colour scheme.
- Bharat Benz
They have a similar social media strategy to that of Ashok Leyland’s. They post information about their products and other financial videos followed by the occasional film.
- Tata Motors
Tata Motors posts information on their products and achievements and frequently do so. Their posts, however, are more customer centered. They are a good example of the claim that social media can follow a hybrid strategy.
Let’s look at their advertising strategy to see what makes Ashok Leyland’s advertising strategy different from that of their competitors.
Ashok Leyland’s Advertising Strategies
In this section, we will look into the posts that were really popular and resonated well with the community,
One such video is titled: “Ashok Leyland Driver’s Anthem.”
This is an anthem, composed to salute the drivers that use their vehicles.
The composition is inspiring and heart-warming and reminds us of the people who help connect our country.
This is their goal: to have the viewers and customers relate to their products.
In image: Video saluting the Drivers of India (Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Ea77SDqAI)
Another such video, titled: “Touching Lives”, followed a similar aim. This was to show the importance of their vehicles in the lives of their customers. From school buses to trucks, their products helped to connect their family with each other and the rest of the country.
In image: Ashok Leyland’s video, “Touching Lives” (Link: https://youtu.be/S8LtFQWMID0)
The only negative of their media channels was that there were videos like these which were meant to connect to the customer and there were videos which may not have generated that much interest in the same audience, like finance or performance related. Thus, it’s important for them to understand their social media target audience and accordingly create videos to help connect to their customers better.
Finally, let’s look into their social media strategy.
Social Media Strategies of Ashok Leyland
Ashok Leyland has a wide social media presence.
They can be found on the most popular social media sites, that is, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube. They frequently release videos to update their subscribers and followers of everything related to the company from financial performance analysis to campaign videos to connect and inspire their customers.
Given below is a chart showing the popularity levels of the various social media pages of Ashok Leyland.
As you can see, Facebook (Dark Blue) has the highest number of subscribers. This makes Facebook their most popular page.
They post similar content on all of their pages.
There could be two reasons for the unpopularity of their Twitter and Instagram pages.
- Their target audience is not active on these social media sites
- Their content is not appealing to the people who use these social media sites.
If Ashok Leyland is interested in increasing the numbers in these sites, they may have to improve their strategies like posting different types of content like memes or short movies that were found appealing in the YouTube audience. These videos were mentioned in the advertising strategies of the company.
Now let us look into the marketing mix of Ashok Leyland which will give us an understanding of their basic information and strategies that defines the company.
Marketing Mix of Ashok Leyland
Marketing mix clearly shows the four basic factors (Product, Price, Place and Promotion) that are important in the success of a company. Let’s understand Ashok Leyland’s marketing mix and see what makes it tick.
- As mentioned above, Ashok Leyland manufactures a huge variety of vehicles from small vehicles like mini trucks to huge tractors and trailers. This huge option of products allows the customer to pick the perfect vehicle to suit the task.
- Not only do they produce vehicles for commercial purposes, but they also produce vehicles for military and other special purposes.
In image: Ashok Leyland has a diversified range of vehicles.
- Ashok Leyland uses a lot of technology and ensures high safety standards in their vehicles. Obviously, this drives the price up. They have strong competitors in the same industry like Tata Motors and Bharat Benz so they cannot price their products high.
- Although their pricing is high, the products require lower maintenance costs and have a longer life span so the investment is worth it.
- Apart from their good social media presence, Ashok Leyland’s products speak for themselves. They can be spotted almost everywhere across India.
- Being in the industry for decades has also given Ashok Leyland a certain advantage as they have a mark of quality and trust with their customers.
- They brought in Mahendra Singh Dhoni as their Brand Ambassador.
- Ashok Leyland has firmly established its presence in India and has secured its place as the second largest producer of commercial vehicles in India.
- Not only do they distribute their vehicles in India, but also do so internationally, in countries like Sri Lanka, UAE and the United Kingdom.
- Ashok Leyland has manufacturing hubs in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Uttarakhand, Hosur and Rajasthan and has thus, established their company strategically across India.
After carefully looking at the company’s strategies and their competition, these are some suggestions to further improve their existing strategy.
Now that we have seen what Ashok Leyland’s marketing and advertising strategies and looked into its competitors strategies as well, below are some suggestions to further improve their strategies:
- The videos listed above are getting a lot of views and attention in general. Keeping this in mind, the company should focus more on these kinds of videos.
- They had also released a video that shows the customer, who talks about his/her experience using Ashok Leyland’s vehicles. These videos were also garnering a lot of attention and the marketing team should consider producing more such videos.
- Use more interactive content or short films that were well appreciated by the community. Understanding the kind of content that is very popular with the followers or subscribers should be increased.
Here, we come to an end to Ashok Leyland’s marketing strategy. Let’s conclude the case study and our analysis on it’s success story.
Ashok Leyland has built itself a niche in the Indian commercial vehicle business. Its name is widely recognised pan-India and even globally.
They need to keep an eye on their competitors at all times as their pricing is a little high. However, from the marketing mix, it can be concluded that the company enjoys a good position in the industry thanks to their experience, customer loyalty, quality and safety standards.
From this research in general, it can be concluded that the company has a good idea of their customers and know what their customers want.
However, from a social media perspective, they need to figure out their strength, that is they need to find out who exactly is their target audience. Their current videos are a mix of different aspects of the company and there is no common factor in their videos or social media posts.
They have a decent level of subscribers. Although, for them, being near leaders in the business, they need to create more interesting content to gather more attention and thud bring in more attention in the form of subscribers, likes and so on.